ART DISCUSSION: What is art? Who/what inspires you?

New sculpture.
Cavernplaster, wire, LED lights, sound element

Image_10.jpg

Originally Posted by FOG

One does not simply cram for an art history exam.

How do y'all do it? Any tips for a second year fam?

Quality coffee and/or espresso and cigarettes. I wish I was kidding. Best not to sleep. If there are essay questions, being a bit fuzzy in the head from not sleeping might actually help.

^^^Thanks. Hopefully I didn't do too bad on it.. Managed to get two A's for painting and sculpting this term, so I'm all smiles
laugh.gif

Here's a cool gif I wanted to share with y'all:

Van-Goh...-Thats-really-cool.gif

Originally Posted by FOG

^^^Thanks. Hopefully I didn't do too bad on it.. Managed to get two A's for painting and sculpting this term, so I'm all smiles
laugh.gif

mind-blown.gif

Originally Posted by LUKEwarm Skywalker

Originally Posted by FOG

laugh.gif

mind-blown.gif

Looking at that .gif for a long time makes me sick.
Did ya'll see the lineup of art sold at the last Sotheby's action (the one were The scream received all the media attention). They sold a total of 330 M, a lot of masterpieces.

http://www.sothebys.com/e...ale-n08850/overview.html

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

New sculpture.
Cavernplaster, wire, LED lights, sound element

Image_10.jpg
I just want to get some opinions... What if I tried this with my own photography? What if I ended up selling it after I got tired of it on my wall?

^ wait, what?

I most definitely quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the wire cutting. What if I jacked his style for my own bachelor pad. Would that be looked down upon?

Originally Posted by buggz05

^ wait, what?

I most definitely quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the wire cutting. What if I jacked his style for my own bachelor pad. Would that be looked down upon?

While nothing is new under the sun, meaning no idea is new, it's greatly frowned upon to blatantly rip off the work of another artist. Being known as a "derivative" of another contemporary artist can be a death knell to ones artistic career/aspirations.

If it's merely for personal enjoyment, then by all mean go for. But if you ripping of that style in hopes of marketing it as your own, then you wont get to far.

Looking at that .gif for a long time makes me sick.
Did ya'll see the lineup of art sold at the last Sotheby's action (the one were The scream received all the media attention). They sold a total of 330 M, a lot of masterpieces.

http://www.sothebys.com/e...ale-n08850/overview.html

eek.gif
 x 
30t6p3b.gif
 at the amount of money being transacted there; art will always be a great investment, I guess.

Just wish someone would throw a fraction of that money my way...i'd be satisfied with just a mill...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Anyway, graduated with my BFA yesterday, art bros. Kinda excited thinking about the future. 'Bout to embark on that starving artist life...
laugh.gif

Congrats to you! Good luck btw, you'll probably need it.
It is kind of a shame, that the paintings that were sold were created by artists who literally starved...The numbers and artists are just mind-blowing.

However I wouldn't be surprised if the art market would create a bubble during the next few decades maybe, mostly because a lot of talentless artists get hyped. Case may be even worse then with gold. The introduction of ETF's and mutual funds regarding art, I don't like this overly capitalist approach, kind turns art profane.

@blackngold -  oh yeah, this is the first year for Frieze in NYC right? How is it? You work for the mag?

Im an emt. I quickly walk from the south end of the tent to my post in the north end. In just passing by alot of exhibits caught my eye, but I didn't get to take a good look at anything. Maybe I can walk around during my lunch break.

the best art is creation itself....too many other things labeled art are just a bunch of lies and non-sense.

..art is also immediately related to the class situation.

Originally Posted by buggz05

^ wait, what?

While nothing is new under the sun, meaning no idea is new, it's greatly frowned upon to blatantly rip off the work of another artist. Being known as a "derivative" of another contemporary artist can be a death knell to ones artistic career/aspirations.

If it's merely for personal enjoyment, then by all mean go for. But if you ripping of that style in hopes of marketing it as your own, then you wont get to far.

Exactly, I'm not trying to get anywhere in the art world but it's a cool and interesting project. And maybe some day I move out of the apartment and could get a couple hundred out of it...

^^Good to see that you're working hard! Nice stuff.
I'm in the midst of putting together a portfolio and painting all night, whilst working a job during the day...
happy.gif

Did ya'll see how much the Rothko auctioned off for last night?? 86 mil, insane, although I think having a Rothko in your house is priceless...

wow, art prices have taken a serious hike, I mean 44 million for a Lichtenstein. He's a good artist, but investors are creating yet another bubble, from which unfortunately not many artists will profit...

Some news...

I'm moving to New York City! Got accepted into the recent grad residency at the Brooklyn Artists Gym. I'll be continuing working towards building a strong portfolio of works in anticipation of applying to grad school. Really exciting/scary/stressful time.

Congrats Boys Noize! We should get an NT art summit going... That'd be ill

Back
Top Bottom