As much as I want minority designers to get on...can we stop with rapper clothing lines?

12,104
12
Joined Jan 3, 2008
Really...none of them are that good...Its just really sad to see them invest all this time and money into things that everyone knows (even the people who work on the line) know won't exist 4-5 years from now...
 
1,723
11
Joined Jan 10, 2010
I thought of Roca wear and Phat Farm, I don't know any other.


At the end of the day we need diversity, it doesn't matter wether it is crappy or not. Someone will like it and Someone will buy it.
 

Mister Meaner

formerly super producer j
13,065
4,341
Joined Mar 24, 2007
I think it is mainly because of two things:

A) Their focus is not the clothing line. It's more for show, and to earn quick bucks, than a legitimate venture they want to carry on for any extensive period of time.

B) Their target consumer tends to change styles like no other. An upstart brand can't develop an identity while following the whimsical fancies of it's target consumer. And having an identity leads to longevity, I think.
 
5,580
14
Joined Jul 15, 2006


Most rappers aren't even coming out of pocket for these clothing lines.

They simply lend their image and identity to another company and collect a check from it.

When they do invest their own time, creativity and capital, they usually ending up making waaay more money and business clout off of their fashion endeavors than their music career.










Why must y'all _s hate on your own?



I never hear a complaint about the dozens of terrible "Walmart" clothing brands from artists in other genres.





Stop it slime.
 
27,677
16,995
Joined Dec 9, 2002
sean john was popular (if you consider him a rapper)
Benjamin Bixby has a very nice selection, but the prices are filthy.
 
645
10
Joined Oct 6, 2009
Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze



Most rappers aren't even coming out of pocket for these clothing lines.

They simply lend their image and identity to another company and collect a check from it.

When they do invest their own time, creativity and capital, they usually ending up making waaay more money and business clout off of their fashion endeavors than their music career.










Why must y'all _s hate on your own?



I never hear a complaint about the dozens of terrible "Walmart" clothing brands from artists in other genres.





Stop it slime.
Play Cloths is the best rapper line out.
Sean John sucks now as does RocaWear.
BBC is way too expensive for the average person to wear so I'll never make a complaint about it because I can't afford a $150 t-shirt.

I disagree with your second argument though. People do complain, its just not the demographic of NT that makes those complaints. Go to other message boards dominated by white, middle class women and the same thread is made but with a Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez being the one who is criticized.
 
8,065
118
Joined Apr 25, 2005
I never hear a complaint about the dozens of terrible "Walmart" clothing brands from artists in other genres.


Because this is NT. I'm sure there are plenty of complains about the Toby Keith line on the Toby Keith message boards.
 
3,270
14
Joined Nov 10, 2005
You can hate on the Rapper lines but they're still making money..The whole "rapper" mentality of baggy jeans, long shirts, etc.. was a fad for suburban kids but in the inner city, that's how everyone dresses..When I hang out with friends of mine that live in Uptown NYC, people STILL wear baggy jeans, Timbs and all that good stuff..They don't do it because they wanna look cool..They don't watch MTV/BET and think "OH bc Lil Wayne, Drake, Pharell, Kanye is wearing ___ it must be hot!" and go out and buy w/e is the "in" thing to wear..So Sean John, Rocawear, G-Unit Brand might not sell where u live but in other places in your city there are people that still buy them

And while these rapper brands aren't cheap, their prices are reasonable..And many times brands like Rocawear have their clothes hit the Sales Rack at the mall so people can scoop up shirts that normally cost $50-60 for $20-30 and sometimes even less...At least the rappers that promote these brands make their stuff affordable for the kids that look up to them..While Sean John has a few non-cheap pieces (highest I've seen was like 65 bucks for a sweater) someone can still buy a Sean John Tee for like $20...


...But a BBC Tee? $100+...I know young dudes that make $300 a week at their job and will spend $275 on a BBC shirt and a hoody to match..I'd rather see the rapper brands prosper than the brands that WAYYYYY OVERCHARGE people for their clothing but brainwash them into thinking spending $500 on a sweater isn't a big deal as long as the sweater is "rare"

Look at the LV x Kanye shoes..Hypebeasts were going CRAZY for these when they came out and you still can scoop up a pair on eBay or some other site for close to $1000..Do you think there is some kind of technologically advanced cushioning in a pair of LV Kanyes? Not a chance in hell..yet you will still find people with $1600 in their bank account justifying the purchase of a $950 pair of SNEAKERS because "if you don't buy them now you'll never be able to find a pair for less than $1000"..Oh God forbid

Sorry for the mini rant lol
 
5,580
14
Joined Jul 15, 2006
Originally Posted by Lex Starks

Play Cloths is the best rapper line out.
Sean John sucks now as does RocaWear.
BBC is way too expensive for the average person to wear so I'll never make a complaint about it because I can't afford a $150 t-shirt.

I disagree with your second argument though. People do complain, its just not the demographic of NT that makes those complaints. Go to other message boards dominated by white, middle class women and the same thread is made but with a Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez being the one who is criticized.
Sean John still has makes good clothing and Rocawear had a good 5/6 year run where everyone was rocking it.

Puff and Jay have made 100s of millions off of these ventures and so will Pharrell when he cashes out. They show kids that there are lots of legal ways to make money and almost all of us have worn one of their garments at some point.

Why should they stop?

And I highly doubt that last claim. Especially when these soccer moms constantly clear the shelves of those items for their children.

There are hundreds of celebrities that start or lend themselves to clothing lines...why just just the rappers stop?
 
5,811
391
Joined Jan 30, 2007
Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze



Most rappers aren't even coming out of pocket for these clothing lines.

They simply lend their image and identity to another company and collect a check from it.
This is exactly what I came in here to say. 

Cant blame the rappers for that.

And I fail to see OP's point,  I could understand 5 years ago,  but there really arent too many "rapper clothing lines" out now anyways.
 
1,249
12
Joined Dec 3, 2009
Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

You can hate on the Rapper lines but they're still making money..The whole "rapper" mentality of baggy jeans, long shirts, etc.. was a fad for suburban kids but in the inner city, that's how everyone dresses..When I hang out with friends of mine that live in Uptown NYC, people STILL wear baggy jeans, Timbs and all that good stuff..They don't do it because they wanna look cool..They don't watch MTV/BET and think "OH bc Lil Wayne, Drake, Pharell, Kanye is wearing ___ it must be hot!" and go out and buy w/e is the "in" thing to wear..So Sean John, Rocawear, G-Unit Brand might not sell where u live but in other places in your city there are people that still buy them

And while these rapper brands aren't cheap, their prices are reasonable..And many times brands like Rocawear have their clothes hit the Sales Rack at the mall so people can scoop up shirts that normally cost $50-60 for $20-30 and sometimes even less...At least the rappers that promote these brands make their stuff affordable for the kids that look up to them..While Sean John has a few non-cheap pieces (highest I've seen was like 65 bucks for a sweater) someone can still buy a Sean John Tee for like $20...


...But a BBC Tee? $100+...I know young dudes that make $300 a week at their job and will spend $275 on a BBC shirt and a hoody to match..I'd rather see the rapper brands prosper than the brands that WAYYYYY OVERCHARGE people for their clothing but brainwash them into thinking spending $500 on a sweater isn't a big deal as long as the sweater is "rare"

Look at the LV x Kanye shoes..Hypebeasts were going CRAZY for these when they came out and you still can scoop up a pair on eBay or some other site for close to $1000..Do you think there is some kind of technologically advanced cushioning in a pair of LV Kanyes? Not a chance in hell..yet you will still find people with $1600 in their bank account justifying the purchase of a $950 pair of SNEAKERS because "if you don't buy them now you'll never be able to find a pair for less than $1000"..Oh God forbid

Sorry for the mini rant lol
The same type of argument can be made for people and sneakers. Plenty of kids are willing to dish out hundreds more than retail for these lame, low quality releases. Since they do, of course you can expect more releasing in the near future. We both know that #$%^ is ridiculous. Blame the consumer for continuing to fuel the fire, not the brands for seizing the opportunity. 


BBC is owned by Bape, and obviously neither of these cater to some kid working a McDonald's graveyard shift. It never has and never will. It's the kid's own decision to fork over his entire paycheck just to fake it 'till he makes it. I wouldn't even consider BBC a "rapper" brand, because at the end of the day, it's just an extension of Bape. (for the record, tees are about $75-80 and a hoody would run about $300)

As for LV, I don't know if you realize this or not, but the most of LV sneakers retail for just as much as the Kanye collab. It's not like Kanye has any control over LV's price point lol. (retail on these were anywhere from $800-1200) Again, this is not a "rapper" brand. If they want them, then so be it. It's not my life/money so why should I care?

Both of these instances are dealing with boutiques and not a dime a dozen Macy's sale rack brand. It's a completely different clientele they're focusing on.

Andre 3K had a good thing with Benjamen Bixby, but thanks to the economy and that price point coming out as a new label, it hurt him. Lupe is doing his thing with his line, Clipse with Play Cloths...Common I believe has a collection of hats. There's a few people out there making quality stuff (within the Hip Hop community), whether or not you can afford it/willing to pay for it is another thing. But why knock on their success just because it's beyond your personal reach?

- Welp, first post. Guess I had to do it somewhere.
 
1,043
16
Joined Dec 14, 2005
times change. stuff that used to be sought after just isnt anymore. just a few years ago Bape was the hot ticket item. now a few years later everyone is trading in their bapastas for a shirt from J.Crew and a pair of desert boots.

the clothings lines that you mentioned like rocawear , sean john, etc are just behind the "times" just last year they caught on to the all over print hoodie hype. just give them time, soon they will have cardigans and their own version of chinos
 
18,491
6,331
Joined Mar 28, 2009
im sorry but LL COOL J is %%##%*$ on all these $*%+%$....now I dont wear his clothes, but i work in the mall in sears and all them mexicans that be up in there buy all his +@*%...all of it...he gotta be bankin
 
4,631
795
Joined Jun 18, 2005
Small percentage of people think how we think when it comes to fashion. Most people eat the celbrity based brands up alive. Especially if they're reasonably priced. That's why celebrities that make clothing lines with target, Walmart, etc are making BANK
 
803
13
Joined Sep 6, 2005
I understand Play Cloths though...


shouldn't it be Play Clothes? unless they meant cloths as in things you wipe with
 
2,891
10
Joined Aug 7, 2007
Sean John still has makes good clothing and Rocawear had a good 5/6 year run where everyone was rocking it.

Puff and Jay have made 100s of millions off of these ventures and so will Pharrell when he cashes out. They show kids that there are lots of legal ways to make money and almost all of us have worn one of their garments at some point.

Why should they stop?

And I highly doubt that last claim. Especially when these soccer moms constantly clear the shelves of those items for their children.

There are hundreds of celebrities that start or lend themselves to clothing lines...why just just the rappers stop?
 
2,820
17
Joined Apr 8, 2003
there are tons of MINORITY designers that are high end and are well respected in the fashion industry... and minority just doesn't consist of African Americans. Also as much as NT complains about sean john, rocawear, lrg, etc. its obvious there are people still buying their products. Aside from NY hoods where everyone is up to par fashion wise, hood dudes else wear still do the whole baggy clothes from rocawear, sean john, etc.
 
3,873
26
Joined Jan 23, 2009
I was actually looking forward to Pastelle....
and Sean John brought the [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]HEAT[/color] last winter.






And
at "minority" designers.
 
18,616
1,142
Joined Sep 28, 2005
Originally Posted by BgL2687

there are tons of MINORITY designers that are high end and are well respected in the fashion industry... and minority just doesn't consist of African Americans. Also as much as NT complains about sean john, rocawear, lrg, etc. its obvious there are people still buying their products. Aside from NY hoods where everyone is up to par fashion wise, hood dudes else wear still do the whole baggy clothes from rocawear, sean john, etc.

word...

and lets not forget Apple Bottoms...Vokal tanked but AB became huge in some markets...i see it everyday...and B's Dereon...
 
3,538
10
Joined Sep 11, 2008
Originally Posted by BgL2687

there are tons of MINORITY designers that are high end and are well respected in the fashion industry... and minority just doesn't consist of African Americans. Also as much as NT complains about sean john, rocawear, lrg, etc. its obvious there are people still buying their products. Aside from NY hoods where everyone is up to par fashion wise, hood dudes else wear still do the whole baggy clothes from rocawear, sean john, etc.
hood mexicans in cali still rock Ecko Unlimited religiously. i dont even know where they get them since stores like Macys switched over to the Cut&Sew line years ago
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now