Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I meant even before the CBA. When they're still in school.

But are you saying there's NBA level talent (that would get pt) but they just don't want to get minimum contracts in the NBA?

But are you saying there's NBA level talent (that would get pt) but they just don't want to get minimum contracts in the NBA?

Eh, doubtful. Most highly touted college players that don’t make it here kill it overseas. If they can’t make it, how can less talented players make it?

The infrastructure isn't quite there yet, much like soccer is here in the U.S. Basketball didn't really become popular in China til the Yao years. They're probably still a decade or to away from producing real talent.

I don't think there's any starting quality Chinese players right now. Jimmer was basically MJ when he went over lol. You got guys like Ding Yanyuhang (2x CBA MVP) who can barely hold a roster spot in the G-League.

Outside of China, Yuta Watanabe is on a two way contract with the Griz.

I think the reason for the lack of talent is the lack of desire to play. The greats usually come from genuine intense work ethic and desire to win. Look at Kobe and how hard he goes even in practices. It’s different when you’re just forced to play as a child, where that’s basically all you know, vs having the actual hunger.

I think the reason for the lack of talent is the lack of desire to play. The greats usually come from genuine intense work ethic and desire to win. Look at Kobe and how hard he goes even in practices. It’s different when you’re just forced to play as a child, where that’s basically all you know, vs having the actual hunger.

Pretty much Yi Jian Lian in a nutshell. He had the talent, and made it to the league. After that, he just didn't give a ****.

Pretty much Yi Jian Lian in a nutshell. He had the talent, and made it to the league. After that, he just didn't give a ****.

funny you mention yi, he was in some really suboptimal spots; i recently read this article on him:

It’s not that Yi can’t play. At 29, the four-time Chinese Basketball Association Domestic MVP averaged 20 points per game in the 2016 Rio Olympics, and he has displayed NBA-level talent whenever given playing time during his five seasons in the league. “Yi Jianlian is definitely not a bust,” says Pete Philo, who scouted the forward for the Minnesota Timberwolves. “A bust can’t play in the Olympics and score 30 points. A bust is a guy that never developed and just can’t play, and you can’t say that about Yi. He could be a backup 4 [or] 5 in the league right now. Yi just always had bad timing.”

“I’m partial to Yi,” says ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla. “And from what I can tell, no one ever explained to him what his role in the NBA would be. He was in dysfunctional situations in the league, and simply got a bad rap.”

i think y'all are making it more complicated than it is, great players are rare by definition so making that the benchmark is kinda unfair; ain't too many guys that put in the work like kobe...whether being forced or having hunger, if you are good you are good; tons of (successful) pro athletes have the story of being forced to play by a parent (albeit maybe not quite as the regimented state run chinese system)...the level of comp in asia/china just isn't high enough broadly yet, which could be said about every country outside of the u.s. & maybe a few other places. now that 3x3 is a oly sport, basketball should become more accessible and further expand its reach to more countries.

False, the level of competition/talent in Europe is far superior than China. European players often make it to the league, whereas hardly anyone makes it from China. Basketball isn’t even the #1 sport in Europe, but it is in China. You cannot teach greatness. You have to want it. Forcing kids to run the exact same drills as everyone else isn’t going to inspire creativity or individuality on the court.

I saw guo doing jelly layups in his workout with Westbrook, I don't think they are basketball soldiers like they were before

do you think him not fitting in with American culture mightve played a part? Maybe he felt alienated or home sick n wasnt able to play his best

do you think him not fitting in with American culture mightve played a part? Maybe he felt alienated or home sick n wasnt able to play his best

I'd say that was a factor, he did not want to go to Milwaukee.

False, the level of competition/talent in Europe is far superior than China. European players often make it to the league, whereas hardly anyone makes it from China. Basketball isn’t even the #1 sport in Europe, but it is in China. You cannot teach greatness. You have to want it. Forcing kids to run the exact same drills as everyone else isn’t going to inspire creativity or individuality on the court.

definitely we agree, eurobasket/league is a better level of basketball, some of that could just be down to europe being generally, in the past anyways, being more hospital to foreign expats being able transmit the game in comparison to china and the european game being intentionally a bit more of an open game/less 1 v 1...

but the point i was getting at is that in the states across the board from playgrounds to rec leagues to the actual association, the access & infrastructure people have to/for the game is just better than just about every other country. there really aren't that many countries that consistently produce legit GREAT players at the nba hof level that you are setting the bar at. even if you accept the premise that the super structured formal way may not produce greatness (which is a very nebulous term, what does this mean? ), it very well might produce a decently skilled nba level professional hooper; which once they get to the nba the have a chance to be 'great.'

while there is still somewhat a skills gap between the nba and other leagues, the big difference is the baseline level of athlete at the nba level; to the extent any player can meet or exceed that baseline they have a shot, the creativity/individuality/passion/skills can and sometimes does come later. the proof of this is the type of players nba teams tend to draft that are from these other leagues, either super skilled or (sometimes and) physically impressive athletes.

China Mac explaining why he use the N word

People like him are a terrible look for us. Didn't watch, but there's no justification in any world an Asian American should use the N word. If your boys are cool with you using it with them, cool, but keep that **** private and don't state it publicly like you're on some woke-level ****.

If we want change we do it by setting an example. Him trying to justify the use is just going to inspire some white people to use the same reasoning and logic to use it.

The rapper stupid young comes to mind. The guy in the hood and always saying the n-word.

Glad I don't interact with that low class type of people anymore. Same type to use the N word constantly and imitate everything from African American culture, but still end up being racist towards black people somehow. Disgusting

Local cultures have different ways they take things. It's just that the internet put us in a bigger box so now we have people from Iowa who can see and judge the same thing from their lens. And the way they view the n word is different than how a person from Long Beach does. We have everyone from the wealthy class to thugs in the hood mixing in and communicating in a larger internet culture with everyone weighing in with their interpretation and experience of things. For people in some parts of Long Beach and other areas, it's not a racial thing and everyone says it. And that most likely won't change until the area eventually gets gentrified and starts to fit in with mainstream culture.

Someone of lesser stature smash your girl?
You ain’t that special to be judging

If you think not being cool with people who promote ignorant and racist behavior is the same as thinking I'm "special", your standards for what "special" is must be pretty damn low.

Can't believe people in here are writing nonsense essays to justify using N_ :lol: Sounding just like the racist white dudes who try to use it by saying "it's just a word" "everyone uses it, why can't I"

Last edited:
I have a very sincere question. What is the issue that Asians have with African American people? Not to make a generalization but its something i've noticed. Can anyone here answer for me please?

I have a very sincere question. What is the issue that Asians have with African American people? Not to make a generalization but its something i've noticed. Can anyone here answer for me please?

Most older Asian people from Asia have never seen/interacted with black people. The only images they had of black people where what they saw from Western news and media, and when they move here, the same news/media keeps reinforcing that negative image.

My mom used to be afraid of black people when she first moved here in the 80s because most of the movies/TV shows/news reports she saw back then showed black people as criminals (and this is still happening in 2019). Then things like the LA Riots reinforced that fear. When she finally started living and working with them, she realized that black people aren't much different, and they also share a lot of the same values as well.

It takes actual interaction and not taking the media at face value to remove the bias, which is why you see younger Asian people (both those that were born here and those who've traveled to Western countries) who are generally much more open towards black people than the previous generation (who tend to just stick to their own communities, like most non English speaking immigrants)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom