Asian Culture Discussion Thread

BTS was just on SNL. Mostly positive responses from what I saw, but for the few negative ones, I've never seen so many people unapologetically standing up against any racist comment towards Asian men in my life.
BTS has created more Asian advocates than literally everything these college classes, activists, and etc have been doing :lol:. Shoutout to them.

Last edited:
For a non Asian like myself, I grew up listening to Mountain Brothers, Jin, Bambu, Geologic. Seeing Dumbfoundead’s battles. Then you factor in the sheer amount of Filipino DJ’s from the West Coast. Asians have been involved for years. Are they ready to make a big commercial splash in US Hip Hop? I don’t know. But Hip Hop is bigger than just what’s on the surface.

And if we stretch hip hop out beyond music, Korea and Japan are huge in the breakdancing scene. Plus you have people like Nigo, who've been influential style wise.
But yeah, it's mostly been underneath the surface without any mainstream act. I don't know if we're ready for a mainstream Asian rapper either.

Even though people I know understand that Asian people aren't a stereotype, I get the vibe that middle America still has the wildest, rigid perception of Asian people. Like they would legit be baffled to see someone with Asian features being a mainstream rapper. Which is stupid af but I think in 2019, we're still at the point where any Asian rapper will face a ridiculous amount of judgment.

IU stars in a new Netflix show called Persona. It’s 4 short episodes each with a diffetent story. Each episode was directed by a different critically acclaimed director. Episode 2 was super good. Worth checking out

BTS was just on SNL. Mostly positive responses from what I saw, but for the few negative ones, I've never seen so many people unapologetically standing up against any racist comment towards Asian men in my life.
BTS has created more Asian advocates than literally everything these college classes, activists, and etc have been doing :lol:. Shoutout to them.

Song is low key catchy

I'm like allergic to alcohol or some ****.

2 shots, I'm red af, start itching everywhere, and get headaches :lol:

Asian glow lol

I don’t get it either, but p much all my friends keep the Pepcid on hand before drinking

Last edited:
And if we stretch hip hop out beyond music, Korea and Japan are huge in the breakdancing scene. Plus you have people like Nigo, who've been influential style wise.
But yeah, it's mostly been underneath the surface without any mainstream act. I don't know if we're ready for a mainstream Asian rapper either.

Even though people I know understand that Asian people aren't a stereotype, I get the vibe that middle America still has the wildest, rigid perception of Asian people. Like they would legit be baffled to see someone with Asian features being a mainstream rapper. Which is stupid af but I think in 2019, we're still at the point where any Asian rapper will face a ridiculous amount of judgment.

Agree- many years ago, when Koreans started dominating break dancing, popping, beatboxing I remember telling someone about that. Their reaction was a mixture of disbelief and assumption that this was only "over there" but had nothing to do with "murrica. Could see his head exploding when another dude who was really into breaking started going off on him not knowing some of those crews.

I was reminded of this a bit by comments on the new Karate Kid, the disbelief how the main "villain" high school bro/ahole was Asian.
I'm sure it's a mind blowing shock to people when they come to the West/East coast cities and see how "different" Asians are from their stereotypes.

Coachella got me feeling some type of way about Blackpink :nerd:

Never thought I'd be into some skinny girls but here we are

bp.gif

Screenshot_20190408-075335_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom