Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Jennie fosho, but Nayeon heals me rofl. Someone was asked why they like Twice, and I found that response to be exactly what it is for me, healing. Dunno how I'm hurt though.
71522_nayeon-twice.jpg

Damn, double take, looks like either of them giving the middle finger lol

These the best 2 in YG and JYP, respectively imo. From SM, it's Irene.

^Back stabbing as in they don't like it when someone shines. They mingle with one another. The Thai community is large, but it seems like almost everyone knows each other...except for a few like me because I wasn't in the circle to begin with. If someone has a business and becomes "too successful", the hate is real. They will smile in front of you, but talk crap behind you and take action to see you fail.

If you open a restaurant and its profiting, they may slander in the local newspaper saying it's not authentic or call the local health dept and say they found foreign particles in the food. They know they are secretly talking and doing these things while continuing to hang out with each other at functions and putting on fake smile. Typing from my phone mad early. Hope it makes sense. Didn't re read.

Sadly common in South-East Asian community. People can be fake af and the jealousy is just...smh

I come with respect.

Seeing the skin whitening craze in Thailand was SAD man. Seeing people with brown arms with white/powdery faces was just something I couldn't take my eyes off. One of the first things I noticed driving from the airport was the number of billboards with WHITE faces plastered on it. Of course, not surprising but it is just sad.

4:30 Mark

I come with respect.

Seeing the skin whitening craze in Thailand was SAD man. Seeing people with brown arms with white/powdery faces was just something I couldn't take my eyes off. One of the first things I noticed driving from the airport was the number of billboards with WHITE faces plastered on it. Of course, not surprising but it is just sad.

Yea, it’s really sad and pathetic. It goes back to more well off Asians being indoors while the poorer Asians were outside in the fields. So in their minds, lighter skin is better looking and supposed to mean you’re more well off while darker skin means uglier and poor.

Yea, it’s really sad and pathetic. It goes back to more well off Asians being indoors while the poorer Asians were outside in the fields. So in their minds, lighter skin is better looking and supposed to mean you’re more well off while darker skin means uglier and poor.
Yea I get it but also the lengths that some folks went to cover their skin was also wild to me.

90+ every day I was there, some folks got gloves on, bandanas, and hoodies all to "protect" themselves from the sun.
It literally HURT me to see that up close and personal man.

I know we always reference history, but honestly I don't think the farmers outside, royalty inside is the main reason it exist currently.

I think it exists for the same reason though. SE Asians and darker Asians come from poorer countries. Lighter skinned Asians come from wealthier countries. In general, in the world, lighter skin is wealthier people. So it still symbolizes some type of socioeconomic advantage. I think, for example, you flipped it tomorrow and darker people were wealthier and lighter skin people were poorer, then the lightskin obsession would be done in Asia pretty quickly. But to this day, it symbolizes that socioeconomic advantage.

Hollywood changed it cause media is powerful af so tan, 'sunkissed' skin represents the socially and economically higher class here.

Obsession with western culture and K-pop (outside of Korea) plays into it too IMO

In the Philippines K-pop style and spanish/mestiza features gets you on TV

I come with respect.

Not 100% related to this post but I never understood ppl trying to go on E. Asians protecting their skin from the sun or trying skin care methods to protect themselves from getting tanned.

There’s nothing wrong with trying to protect your own skin. And the notion that E. Asians are trying to look like white propel in terms of skin has always been ridiculous to me. E. Asians are NATURALLY pale by birth. People who say this obviously never seen an Asian baby before.

3f8f4638-9965-47b3-8b9e-9f8ad1d71f66-fotolia_187339685_subscription_monthly_m.jpg

Yea I get it but also the lengths that some folks went to cover their skin was also wild to me.

90+ every day I was there, some folks got gloves on, bandanas, and hoodies all to "protect" themselves from the sun.
It literally HURT me to see that up close and personal man.

It goes for South East and East Asian Culture. Same thing with South Asian culture I bet.

The lighter the skin, the better.

It's easy for me to say that the mentality sucks about trying to not be dark since I am light skin. Thus, I do not understand the prejedice that my brethens experience.

I travel a lot to the Philippines since I have family there and I love to surf. When I was staying at my parent's condo, I got to know the security guards. After a weekend surf trip, I got tanned a bit. They told me "it's too bad that you got darker." Them being dark skinned themselves, I replied "I'm trying to be like you guys, girls in Canada and the US love tanned skin". The staff immediately had a big smile on his face.

Not 100% related to this post but I never understood ppl trying to go on E. Asians protecting their skin from the sun or trying skin care methods to protect themselves from getting tanned.

There’s nothing wrong with trying to protect your own skin. And the notion that E. Asians are trying to look like white propel in terms of skin has always been ridiculous to me. E. Asians are NATURALLY pale by birth. People who say this obviously never seen an Asian baby before.

3f8f4638-9965-47b3-8b9e-9f8ad1d71f66-fotolia_187339685_subscription_monthly_m.jpg

There’s nothing wrong with protecting your skin from the sun but to buy and use cream to purposely lighten your skin, that’s some some self hate.

Define

Protecting and Skin Care

So if someone is purposely NOT trying to get tanned, you can't see how that is more of a societal issue ?

If not

So why would that person be trying to avoid tanned skin?

Sunblock, not trying to get tanned by the sun, etc.

You’re saying “pale” as if it’s something negative. E. Asians are born pale to begin with. This is no different then people preaching to love your skin just the way you were born.

Loving your (darker) skin

Vs.

"Protecting" your pale skin

Can't be looked at as one in the same and/or possessing the same true motivation

Back
Top Bottom