Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Cool podcast. Lin's a good guy. You can tell he's really introspective.

The jokes are corny. There are bench players on every team and Lin's a good rotational player. He didn't get minutes but so what? He got a championship and there are players who spend their entire careers chasing that experience of winning a chip whether it's as a starter or as an end of the bench guy. There's more to being part of that win than just the minutes you get.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion but dtf is overrated asf.. at least the ones in seattle. Seems really catered to the haoles.
first time i had dtf was in bellevue and i still go there when i visit fam..... They just opened one up in oregon thats not as good... i was good paying $10 for XLB now its like $13/$14, green beans got more expensive also smh..

DTF is most definitely good food. XLBs, green beans, spicy wonton, and the pork chop are all pretty good there. Like I stated, it's just a real hassle unless the stars align and you get seated in less than 10 minutes. Doughzone in ID Seattle does text reservations and have shenjian baos in addition to XLB, as well as a lot of similar items. I'm one that believes Asian food is undervalued due to systemic racism within the American restaurant biz. Dave Chang talks a bit about it in the Fried Rice episode of Ugly Delicious. Like why are we okay with paying $15-20 for a plate of ravioli at an Italian joint, yet we complain when an Asian dish is over $10 and doesn't feed 2 people per plate?

Din Tai Fung (DTF) is michelin star Shanghainese restaurant that has now become a chain known for its freshly made soup dumplings.

I don't think we have any on the east coast. Had soup dumplings before, not a fan.

I didn't even noticed who she was in the movie, and I watched all of season 1 of Humans, :smh:. I don't know how I missed that it was her.

She only reason I tolerated the Crazy Rich SouthEast Asian movie.
And just finished up Humans series past weeks. Not bad for short 3 seasons.
Basically robots become cylons. Have to get used to UK feel.
She’s Hot.

tumblr_nr36eg4X7i1qf3e4fo6_400.gif

Like why are we okay with paying $15-20 for a plate of ravioli at an Italian joint, yet we complain when an Asian dish is over $10 and doesn't feed 2 people per plate?

I am definitely not OK with paying a lot for European/American dishes (by your username I'm assuming you're from Fresno; those dishes here in the Bay are usually $5-$10 higher). I don't eat it at all unless I get it for free :lol:

Every time my boss takes us out to some "upscale" restaurant or I get dragged to one while traveling, all I can think of is "I'm glad I'm not paying for this spiceless nonsense" and "for this much, I could've had an amazing/filling meal at any other ethnic spot"

I hope they keep overlooking Asian food. I don't want them to come to my favorite spots and then have my food become flavorless to cater to them. These "rustic Vietnamese cuisine" restaurants serving fake banh mis for $15 near my office :stoneface:

Last edited:
I am definitely not OK with paying a lot for European/American dishes (by your username I'm assuming you're from Fresno; those dishes here in the Bay are usually $5-$10 higher). I don't eat it at all unless I get it for free :lol:

Every time my boss takes us out to some "upscale" restaurant or I get dragged to one while traveling, all I can think of is "I'm glad I'm not paying for this spiceless nonsense" and "for this much, I could've had an amazing/filling meal at any other ethnic spot"

I hope they keep overlooking Asian food. I don't want them to come to my favorite spots and then have my food become flavorless to cater to them. These "rustic Vietnamese cuisine" restaurants serving fake banh mis for $15 near my office :stoneface:

Lived half of my life in Central California (near Fresno) and half in Seattle, where I'm currently situated in now. I was actually referring to $15-20 a plate at like Italian chains or humble local family joints. Think about it, DTF is considered "upper scale" Asian food by some and it's sub $15 for a plate, while these average/sub-par European places are charging the same thing.

I've been guilty of the same thing in the past and complaining when Asian food/restaurants are too expensive, but lately my mindset is supporting the culture and not being hypocritical about spending more bread elsewhere but being tight with our peoples. If the food is cheaper at some of the Asian joints, I've tried to tip more. I know my business is just a small blip but still...

I don’t think I’ve ever complained or thought about Asian food/restaurants being too expensive. My mom’s best friend owned and ran the only Korean restaurant in a small town in upstate NY and we saw how hard she had to hustle to make it work. We always appreciated what she did and always left her a fat tip.

How does Dough Zone compare to DTF? Been meaning to try the former for a while. I like DTF but feel it's a bit overrated.

I like din tai over dough zone. The spicy wontons, pork chop fried rice and green beans are a must. I actually don’t care for the xlbs much :lol:

Back
Top Bottom