Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Do you think any part of this thinking ia due to social conditioning?

I’d guess that it’s more that we grew up in the west speaking English and hearing other western languages.

Tagalog is based on Spanish so it’s not so bad. I lived in Manila for a while in my twenties, when spoken softly it can be very nice. My mom is from the southern Philippines and she speaks a dialect called Ilonggo, and when her and my aunts speak to each other it sounds hideous to me :lol:

Why are triad goons in white tees hitting protesters with pipes? The government hired them?

Simu is really that dude though. Ludi Lin and Ross Butler were the names on the shortlist for Shang Chi and my guy walks out on the stage at SD Comic Con like Shannon just made him assistant manager again. Real talk, this is really cool though.

They were looking for full ethnic chinese actor so doubt ross butler would've been casted as he's part white

Simu is really that dude though. Ludi Lin and Ross Butler were the names on the shortlist for Shang Chi and my guy walks out on the stage at SD Comic Con like Shannon just made him assistant manager again. Real talk, this is really cool though.

Saw that "Don Lee" (마동석 Train to Busan, every Korean movie that has him as either a edgy detective, 깡패, or a man that can punch his way through everything) got cast as Gilgamesh for the Eternals.

Not so familiar with that particular comic, but the characters seem to have been redone to be extra diverse.
I'm waiting to see if they'll make him mute, like most of the recent movie characters done by Korean actors.

His English is ok, but seeing him at Comicon reminds me of the classic

On that topic of Asian accents. Stereotypes and media portrayal going way back to the "yellow" face days has to play a role in this, but I feel like considering the differences in Asian language intonation compared to English plays a larger part. When the emphasis of the syllables are different well then, we all know how funny that sounds.
The inverse is true to - to me, the American accent when speaking say Korean sounds terrible and cringey
Ie:
Training Day when Denzel is chasing Snoop into a store, and saying "Gwenchanayo" to the nebulous voice of the Korean lady shop owner. A for effort but it sounds so odd.
Harold and Kumar:

Yes, it's supposed to be funny, still:angry: but :lol:

Those "Asian" accents :smh:.
That said, does anyone think we have a distinct "Asian - North American/South American" accent?

None of the asian accents are sexy to me. Italian is sexiest to me with French, English, and Australian being the other ones

Seen some swimmer on the news refuse to shake a Chinese swimmers hand or stand on the podium with him

Ran into Simu Liu today
IMG_20190725_182647.jpg

So it was 3 full chinese guys being considered for the role, Ludi Lin and Kris Wu the other 2, interesting that they all lived in grew up in Canada as well

Seen some swimmer on the news refuse to shake a Chinese swimmers hand or stand on the podium with him
Cause the Chinese swimmer is a proven doper and destroyed his blood sample in order to participate?

How do ya'll feel about the Rising Sun being used as design/lifestyle/fashion? Non-issue? Anger? Shock? Who cares?

Lebron wearing a t-shirt that says "Sun Sun Sun" on the front, with rising sun inspired design on the back.
Personally I find the image unacceptable.
But I also don't try to see things that aren't there.
Was anyone raised completely unaware of the Japanese Imperial era?
When I talk to young nephews or cousins, they have ZERO knowledge, which isn't surprising because many of their parents (my cousins) didn't know much either.

I didn't know about it until I was an adult. And I think I learned it randomly from the internet because of controversies around x person wearing it or brand selling it, etc.

What brand is that shirt anyway? Maybe it is celebrating when Japan did awful things. Japan is still called and referred to as the land of the rising sun.

In America you don’t really learn that much about Japan imperialism in school. I mean most of the WW2 stuff was about Germany and Italy and everybody knows who Hitler and Mussolini were. I doubt the average person could tell you who was running Japan during that era. All we really learned about Japan was the beginning with Pearl Harbor and the end with Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Back
Top Bottom