Asian Culture Discussion Thread

:lol: I have a lot of older siblings so I never had to make the rice. I use to always forget which crease to go up to when doing the finger measurement.

i know some older taiwanese folks dont really f with koreans that much either

Oh really? Very interesting. There wasn't ever any generational animosity with Taiwan on the K-side of things, from what I know.
I'm curious, what's the basis, historical or modern issues?

Oh really? Very interesting. There wasn't ever any generational animosity with Taiwan on the K-side of things, from what I know.
I'm curious, what's the basis, historical or modern issues?

SK and Taiwan were really good allies back in the day, SK even stuck around after Taiwan got the boot from the UN and the US cut ties with us. We were both in similar situations - front lines of communism (SK and NK, Taiwan and China) andt there was a lot of solidarity. They even referred to Taiwan as "Free China".

Then SK established ties with China in the early 90s, and cut ties with Taiwan. They confiscated and seized everything from the Taiwanese embassy in SK and transferred them to China. Anyone who worked at the consulate had 24 hours to leave. Taiwanese folks felt betrayed by probably their closest ally.

We're also pretty competitive in sports (especially baseball). There was that whole taekwondo event thing. Taiwanese competitor supposedly had on wrong socks.

Again, it's only really the older generation that feels some type of way.

Nowadays I think we really f with Koreans. Everytime I go back to Taiwan I always see a lot of Korean tourists. They also f with K-pop and K-dramas. During that whole Tzuyu thing I think I remember a lot of Koreans were telling China to **** off.

Still pretty big rivals tho, especially in sports like baseball, and electronics too.

Last edited:
Yup. If anything friendly rivalry, never got the sense of animosity. I'm speaking socially, not necessarily politically.
I've heard here and there over the years how various Asian people, usually older gen, bear a lot of ill against Koreans.
The whole K-wave aside, someone told me Koreans were the most "hated" Asian people in the Philippines.
Genuinely curious if this is more motherland centric or that is true in Asian American culture as well.

Nah, on the Asian American side of things definitely not.

Most of my Asian friends growing up were Koreans.

Is Bonchon superior or Kyochon superior? I never had Bonchon before but I used to drive from Monterey Park to Hacienda Heights during rush hour just to eat there.

I tried this spot called KoChix in DC and I preferred that over Bonchon. Chicken was crunchier which I liked.

Bonchon's a lot more convenient though. They have a lot of locations in the DMV.

Man those are hard to watch. I feel for the people of HK. Glad I had a chance to visit before all of this madness. Hate to see this now.

Saw a video a couple weeks ago of triad members attacking people in the MTR stations. Unfortunately, I feel like this is losing battle but it's necessary for the people of HK to resist.

I was kinda afraid this would happen after the
HK media began being influenced by the mainland over the past few years, but I held on to hope that HK would maintain its full independence. I always felt like it was too international to be fully controlled by China. A shame what's happening to one of my favorite countries in the world

It's disappointing to me cause I've visited mainland China frequently as well and always enjoyed my experience there, but on the other hand they keep violating countries all over Asia. I know as I'm technically an American, I have no room to talk, but I don't agree with 99% of US policy either

On a side note, you guys see the outrage in China over a Versace t shirt listing Hong Hong and Taiwan as their own countries instead of parts of China? Ridiculous. Is literal outrage by citizens really necessary over this? Maybe it's cause they now live in the US and don't care anymore, but my mainland Chinese, HK, and Taiwanese friends never treat the whole "part of China" thing as anything more than a friendly rivalry. The biggest debates they have are over styles of hot pot :lol:

Last edited:
There was a Tibet woman who got elected president at a local college where it's full of international Chinese students. They were not happy about her free Tibet views even though this took place in Canada not China

There was a Tibet woman who got elected president at a local college where it's full of international Chinese students. They were not happy about her free Tibet views even though this took place in Canada not China

I saw that too. They were all over her IG harassing her and spamming her ****.

Back
Top Bottom