Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Quick question, for all my NYC Asians, why is it that when ever I see an Asian female with a white guy she always has an exclusionary look of accomplishment? It doesn't really bother me, but imagine when you were a kid on the playground and some random kid had a look like "look at my toy, aren't you jealous", that sort of look.

...is it love, or some misguided sense of accomplishment?
Not from NY, but from my perspective if I don't know her I'll assume it's the latter. It's hard to tell, because I personally know both sides. I have both a white male friend that dates an Asian chick and a female asian friend who dates a white guy that are all down to earth people.

Girls who have that exclusive I'm dating this guy look, always go for the d-bag types anyways. If it's not a white/black guy, it would be a d-bag Asian guy anyways. I pay no mind to those females because I really don't care. When I was younger my jimmies would be rustled but after talking to females that do have preferences on what type of guys they date I just keep it moving. If they are already choosy to begin with, imagine all the other things they would be choosy about in a relationship. Not my type, keep it moving and if she think she upgraded, good for her.

Quick question, for all my NYC Asians, why is it that when ever I see an Asian female with a white guy she always has an exclusionary look of accomplishment? It doesn't really bother me, but imagine when you were a kid on the playground and some random kid had a look like "look at my toy, aren't you jealous", that sort of look.

Hate to generalize or judge, but I'll say it's the latter :lol:

not from nyc either.

Coming from an Asian dude in NYC, it's most likely the latter. I've never personally seen this though?

But then these same Asian girls give me dirty looks when I'm with a non-Asian chick.

laugh.gif

It's 2015. You can love whoever you love. No need to be arrogant about it.

Last edited:
Not from NY, but from my perspective if I don't know her I'll assume it's the latter. It's hard to tell, because I personally know both sides. I have both a white male friend that dates an Asian chick and a female asian friend who dates a white guy that are all down to earth people.

Girls who have that exclusive I'm dating this guy look, always go for the d-bag types anyways. If it's not a white/black guy, it would be a d-bag Asian guy anyways. I pay no mind to those females because I really don't care. When I was younger my jimmies would be rustled but after talking to females that do have preferences on what type of guys they date I just keep it moving. If they are already choosy to begin with, imagine all the other things they would be choosy about in a relationship. Not my type, keep it moving and if she think she upgraded, good for her.
Hate to generalize or judge, but I'll say it's the latter
laugh.gif

not from nyc either.

Coming from an Asian dude in NYC, it's most likely the latter. I've never personally seen this though?

But then these same Asian girls give me dirty looks when I'm with a non-Asian chick.

laugh.gif

It's 2015. You can love whoever you love. No need to be arrogant about it.
Here in New York it's mostly either Korean, Chinese or Japanese women that were born and raised in the states. As I mentioned in the other thread, some of the racism I hear borderlines deep rooted self-hate. 

And it's not one sided either,  like I've heard variant versions of this at least once a week:

"I gotta get laid man, I might even rail one of these self-hating Asian hotties tonight"...and some of these dudes look like Seth Rogen or John C. Reilly.

I think when Asian men date out, most of them are just getting in where they fit in and doing their thing as men, however because of the vast difference in Asian and American culture as far as gender roles are concern females' intentions aren't lust or love, it's something scarier and I can't explain it.

I'm not sure if this is limited to discussion in the USA only, but I keep in touch with the homeland and its culture.

The thing is the internet bridges the world together. Even fobs now dress differently. A lot of the young kids I know back home dress like Kanye and ASAP Rocky. They have no problems dropping bread for Off White and Jordans and such.

The typical 'nerdy' image of Asian fobs from the 80s and 90s is kinda fading away IMO.

As shown earlier in the thread, the hip hop culture plays a big factor. That's the 'cool' thing to do. Tattoos have become somewhat accepted while before it was a no no.

I give props to these cats for finding their niche. They were the first group to do rap music back in the homeland. The guy who started the video was born in either Paterson, NJ or NYC. Dude flipped around and went back to make it big...which is pretty hard since third world countries have pyramid economy system, hence why a lot move away for better lives.

The same dude started a barbershop because he couldn't get a proper line up. I think there's like 10 branches around Bangkok now.

Self hate is a serious thing with regards to Asian females dating white males purely for racial reasons. Like I've mentioned before in a previous post, a lot of it stems from feeling excluded when they moved to a Western society, therefore doing whatever they can to fit in to those around them. If they never develop a sense of self awareness and an appreciation for their own heritage and culture, this subconscious self hate continues and becomes the root cause for them seeking out white males. Sometimes they may not even notice they're filtering out every other race because the issue are deeply rooted.

This is where I think positive reinforcement, love and education in the home environment is crucial. Parents need to give their children a sense of pride and happiness in who they are. This develops self esteem and confidence, and even if there is exclusion in the school environment these issues can be avoided. 

I used to feel very strongly about Asian who felt this way, but after I've matured a bit in recent years I can see clearly I used to feel the exact same way when I first moved. 

Last edited:
A lot of these posts remind me of this lol...

But anyway...

I'm the Asian that plays ball, buy kicks, and fkuc up in school. |I

I'm not sure if this is limited to discussion in the USA only, but I keep in touch with the homeland and its culture.

The thing is the internet bridges the world together. Even fobs now dress differently. A lot of the young kids I know back home dress like Kanye and ASAP Rocky. They have no problems dropping bread for Off White and Jordans and such.

The typical 'nerdy' image of Asian fobs from the 80s and 90s is kinda fading away IMO.

As shown earlier in the thread, the hip hop culture plays a big factor. That's the 'cool' thing to do. Tattoos have become somewhat accepted while before it was a no no.

I give props to these cats for finding their niche. They were the first group to do rap music back in the homeland. The guy who started the video was born in either Paterson, NJ or NYC. Dude flipped around and went back to make it big...which is pretty hard since third world countries have pyramid economy system, hence why a lot move away for better lives.

The same dude started a barbershop because he couldn't get a proper line up. I think there's like 10 branches around Bangkok now.

Oh for sure. Look at how the foreign kids that come to the states dress. Look at kpop stars.

Also Got Rice? was the jam.
But Chuckie Akenz with "You Got Beef" made me wanna be Viet so badly. :rofl: :rofl:
A true classic. :smokin

I think the best part is when he's pushing 60 in a Dodge Neon. :lol:

Also Got Rice? was the jam.
But Chuckie Akenz with "You Got Beef" made me wanna be Viet so badly. :rofl: :rofl:
A true classic. :smokin

I think the best part is when he's pushing 60 in a Dodge Neon. :lol:

I know I was bumping that in the car at one point or another.
Repped for nostalgia haha.

Last edited:
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2015/06/youth-as-a-force-for-peace/397127/

Most of the Asian students … ate their lunch hiding out on the second floor. A few, though, made the mistake of going to the lunchroom. At 12:31 p.m., a group of predominantly black –students — really, a front of about 70 — moved on the cafeteria. Attackers put up the hoods of their sweatshirts and, surrounded by a crowd of cheering, laughing supporters, crashed on their Asian targets in the hall outside the lunchroom like a wave.

Several Chinese students suffered face and head injuries, and one boy’s nose was smashed, horribly broken and gushing blood. The campaign moved into the lunchroom, where the 70 or so attackers and supporters found a handful more Asian kids. Some in the crowd seemed to serve as pointers, directing the fighters toward new victims. Cafeteria workers, following school policy, pulled down steel doors to shut off themselves and the possibility the fighters could grab kitchen utensils to use as weapons. The school police arrived, but were shielded for several moments from reaching the victims by the crowd around them.

One of the students at South Philly High School that day was Wei Chen, who’d arrived in the U.S. from China at the age of 16, without speaking any English. His first welcome to his new country, he said in a panel at the Aspen Ideas Festival on Sunday, was two punches to the back of the head.

“There was a culture in the school that allowed young people to beat each other,” Chen said. The adults in the school were unable or unwilling to stop the violence that Chen and his fellow Asian students endured daily.

So Chen decided to fight back himself, using a move straight out of the textbook of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee—he organized a boycott. He called his fellow students one by one to encourage them to stay away from school. He organized the collection of homework assignments. He wrote a letter for his classmates to take home to their parents explaining their actions. And for eight days, Chen and about 50 of his classmates studied and rallied outside of the school.

Chen’s boycott would bring national attention to the violence facing Asian students at South Philadelphia High School, ultimately resulting in a Department of Justice settlement with the school district that described authorities as “deliberately indifferent to known instances of severe and pervasive ... harassment of Asian students.”

What might be most extraordinary about Chen is that he directed his actions not at the students who attacked him and his classmates, but at the system that enabled those attackers, and failed to protect their victims. As a result, five years later, according to Kevin McCorry of Newsworks, the school is much changed. “For the second year running, Philadelphia's Vietnamese community held its Lunar New Year celebration in the gymnasium at South Philadelphia High School,” reported McCorry, “an event that many in South Philly's Asian community would have thought impossible just five years ago.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...-harvard-calls-diversity-is-racial-balancing/

Each year, many Asian-American students with top SAT scores and GPAs who demonstrate excellent leadership skills (plus countless awards) are unjustifiably rejected by Harvard and other Ivy League schools. Asian-American admission rates at these universities have remained around 14-18% for the past 20 years, while during that same time period, the percentage of Asian-Americans between the ages of 18 and 21 almost doubled.

Several studies have pointed out the possible root causes of this discrimination; Daniel Golden and Thomas Espenshade say Asian-Americans are held to a higher standard than other races, and Ron Unz suggests a de facto quota system is in place.

Another important factor is the widespread social stereotypes against Asian-Americans: They aren’t creative enough, lack leadership skills, and don’t take risks. In a recent CNN article, these students were even labeled as “test robots.”

But these stereotypes (like most) are exaggerations based on outdated observations. A complete view of the facts offers a different conclusion.

Let’s start with creativity. Today, many Asian-Americans have become leading engineers and scientists, developing a large number of our technical innovations. According to Thomson Reuters, Asian-Americans account for 11 of the world’s top 20 material scientists, or 55%. In MIT Technology Review’s list of “35 Innovators Under 35” last year, 12 were Asian-Americans, or 34%. Asian-Americans have also demonstrated their creativity in other areas: Witness world-class cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Oscar-winning director Ang Lee and fashion designer Vera Wang.

A 2012 study released by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation even said although Asian-Americans comprise less than 6% of our total population, they founded (or cofounded) more than 42% of engineering and technology startups from 2006-2012.

Unfortunately, in their subjective and opaque “holistic admission evaluation process,” Harvard and other Ivy League schools often allow these misconceptions to play too big a role. Asian-American applicants are categorized as being “too quiet,” and “focused only on math and science” and “playing a musical instrument”—characteristics that are viewed negatively without any proof they will lead to less successful careers. In addition, evidence compiled by the Students for Fair Admissions, Inc. says Harvard evaluators consistently rank Asian-American candidates below white ones in “personal qualities.”

Despite this evidence, the Department of Education recently dismissed our civil rights complaint against Harvard. This is only a minor setback, and we will continue pressing Harvard and other leading universities to end their discriminatory admissions practices.

Harvard repeatedly claims it champions diversity. The irony is that no convincing proof indicates the university has made reasonable efforts requiring its admissions officers to better understand and accommodate an applicant’s cultural differences, including those of Asian-Americans. Harvard has instead focused on racial balancing, consequently creating a “bamboo ceiling” for its Asian-American applicants—and America’s economic prosperity.

Wow never heard about that Philly incident back then. I would of went down swinging. Glad that stuff never went down at my High School. It also disgusts me when minorities fight amongst themselves like what's the point?

It goes both ways. You just described the fobs. On the other end of the spectrum, there's the Asians that are tatted up and basically the same as other ethnicities...work out, regular jobs, clubbing and getting yams.

There are no limitations, you only set that yourself. Gotta keep that mentality. Get values and goals for yourself and rock out. Surround yourself with like minded individuals. Reach the goals and enjoy life.
qft
In for later.

when I was in my teens I spent most of my time distancing and rejecting my filipino culture.

however once i entered college and currently, i have fall in love more and more about it while continually exploring other cultures.
sounds like me except replace filipino with Vietnamese :lol: in college now and I'm in the Vietnamese Student Association, but I'm def. not a fob. I fall under the category of tatted up asian gym junkie.

As far White females being the standard, can you blame the media? I think the general opinion of men is that White women are the most desireable. Just look at that Hilary Duff thread. You got all kinds of minorities in there talking about voting Republican to get with her. :rofl:

Even in that other Asian thread, all the guys in there have or want a White gf.
cosigned, I am Asian and would like to taste the caucasian yambs. :nerd: :tongue:

11737815_10153474876104603_6039552284775498018_n.png

Watcha think my yellow comrades? :smokin

love Joe's response. I don't know who Sarah Hong is, but she strikes me as a sheltered, privileged broad who grew up in the suburbs, is out of touch with reality, and gets uncomfortable when things fall out of her "norm." I went to a big university in the bay area, and I'd hear **** like this come out of the mouth of Asian folks on campus often. **** all that, I ain't code-switchin to please you

As far White females being the standard, can you blame the media? I think the general opinion of men is that White women are the most desireable. Just look at that Hilary Duff thread. You got all kinds of minorities in there talking about voting Republican to get with her. :rofl:

Even in that other Asian thread, all the guys in there have or want a White gf.
cosigned, I am Asian and would like to taste the caucasian yambs. :nerd: :tongue:

I too want the pinkest of the pink. Only women who I get interest from are Asians and Latinas though.

I too want the pinkest of the pink. Only women who I get interest from are Asians and Latinas though.
I would rather get Latinas than a white girl tbh
From what I heard, they get freaky in bed :evil:
Me gusta

Latinas are bad, I lovem, the thin "thigh gap" ones though :nerd: :tongue: but never had a chance to get with one and currently tied down...by an Asian :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom