Asian Culture Discussion Thread

after seeing wut logan paul did in japan. i hate how some people just **** on asian culture and think they can get away with it. that scumbag wouldnt dare try that **** in beverly hills.

Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence/ignorance/stupidity."

what is so wrong about being in the TSA? I thought they make decent money? At the end of the day they are just trying to make a living? I just saw the comment and it stood out to me. Before you ask , no I do not work for them.

TSA = Thousands Standing Around.

How petty can that boss get lol
I technically have mainlander roots and I don’t give a **** about the whole One China policy
Let these Taiwanese people cook mane

Even my Taiwanese and Chinese friends that moved here to the US don't care that much about that beef anymore. It's more like a friendly rivalry now, similar to the Norcal vs Socal trash talk my friends used to do. They still go to karaoke and sing the classic Taiwan/China separation songs together :lol:

I have mainland Chinese roots but I'm a 3rd gen Taiwanese. This petty **** only makes the Taiwanese who don't want to be part of China even more angry. Petty as ****

im always curious to see what will happen to hong kong in the future. I have a good feeling the mainland is just gonna absorb it.

Not surprised here.

Asian people's perspective towards white culture: Adoration, admiration, "I want to be just like that"
White people's perspective towards Asian culture: "Chopsticks? Weirdos.".

I hear people (including asians) say this a lot but I have never heard this from my family/friend.

It was actually the opposite. Family always looked down on westerners in general. Im Korean though so that pride runs deep :lol:

I hear people (including asians) say this a lot but I have never heard this from my family/friend.

It was actually the opposite. Family always looked down on westerners in general. Im Korean though so that pride runs deep :lol:

The skin whitening products, the eyelid surgeries, no? It’s something no one talks about explicitly but the culture is there for sure.

The skin whitening products, the eyelid surgeries, no? It’s something no one talks about explicitly but the culture is there for sure.

I meant in a more general sense rather than just looks. Western culture, personality, etc is something by family has always looked down upon.

not sure about skin whitening but Koreans in general prefer pale/clear skin. I mean, Koreans are born pale to begin with so it makes sense.
Having pale skin =/= wanting to be white
The west is opposite since many prefer the tan look.

Regarding double eyelids.. im Korean and was born with double eyelids.
In fact, many Koreans have natural double eyelids. So that feature isnt one that exclusive to western people and I dont think anyone can assume something like that.

I would agree with the nose though. Many koreans do get plastic surgery to emulate a westerner's nose bridge.

I meant in a more general sense rather than just looks. Western culture, personality, etc is something by family has always looked down upon.

not sure about skin whitening but Koreans in general prefer pale/clear skin. I mean, Koreans are born pale to begin with so it makes sense.
The west is opposite since many prefer the tan look.

Regarding double eyelids.. im Korean and was born with double eyelids.
In fact, many Koreans have natural double eyelids. So that feature isnt one that exclusive to western people and I dont think anyone can assume something like that.

I would agree with the nose though. Many koreans do get plastic surgery to emulate a westerner's nose bridge.

Ah ok i get you. In terms of culture/values then yeah East Asian cultures are pretty strict on that. The plastic surgeries are something I’ve heard about since way back in high school, double eyelid and like you said nose surgery. It’s anecdotal only but I’ve heard of Korean friends/people getting double eyelid surgery.

I’m Filipino so a good majority of us are tan/dark, we got the skin whitening game on lock lol.

Edit: are k-pop stars pressured to look more western? I don’t know anything about k-pop but from what I’ve seen a lot of them have the big eyes/blond hair/heavy makeup/etc look.

I'm not a K-pop guy at all but some of them got white girls dripping wet. BTS performed at the AMAs this year and got mad support from the crowd. I can't get into it but good to see fellow Asians flourishing on the world stage

Actually now that I think of it, k-pop stars are made up to look like anime characters :lol:

Perfect description; they don't look human to me with those surgeries (I'd still smash though)

I've been in Korea many times and have dated multiple Korean women throughout the years, and none of the women I've met look even close to that. Some try to but get the middle class budget surgery package and end up looking deformed :sick::lol:

I agree with these. My dad is a beige European who had Indian and Chinese best friends growing up, so he was accepted into my mom's family due to him having similar culture and personality. They basically called him "one of the good ones" :lol: Due to British colonialism, many of the older people in my mom's family HATE white people with a passion, even though they themselves are descendants of European farmers/merchants that mixed with the local population.

I agree skin color preference doesn't relate to being white. It stems from back in the day when pale skin=you work indoors and have an upper class lifestyle, while dark skin=you work in the fields or in manual labor jobs. Obviously this is completely false in 2018, but that's where people who still think like that get it from.

When I used to visit my grandma, she used to cover me in all sorts of lentils and herbs to reverse my soccer tan :lol:

Do you guys think there is an “Asian American culture?” Or if such a thing can exist?

Do we have to create it for it to be defined as Asian American culture or can it just be something that Asian Americans typically do, something that might define a decent portion of the typical Asian American experience?

Is there black American, white American, or Hispanic American culture?

Back
Top Bottom