Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I'll believe that Timmy is any Filipino only if see clip of him eating Balut. Yeah believe that.

Reactions: Ube
I remember one time my parents warmed up balut in the microwave. The smell made me want to puke.

4776844C-F4B6-4E06-B6AF-5FB8423CCA90.png

:rofl:

Attachments

• 8827537F-5EB7-41D1-B92B-804805700907.png
    8827537F-5EB7-41D1-B92B-804805700907.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
:lol:
Surprised JC still hasn't played for the Philippines squad

theres a lot of drama there, mostly due to FIBA rules trust me all the kababayan back home want him to suit up and Gilas tried hard

he was there for some kind of promo visit I saw him at a Nike store in BGC and took a quick spy shot of him wearing the "PILIPINAS" gilas shirt :pimp:

I hope that my future kids don't get white washed. I disliked how some Chinese girls are all about the "I only date white boys." My sister in law is one of those, but at least my brother in law is good guy and understands some of the traditions or is willing to learn. From what I heard, some interraccial couples are so divided with cultural backgrounds (like no efforts to participate in either).

I am with you on this one. I, also, hope that my kids do not become white washed. When I moved out of my parents house, I was deathly afraid that I would lose my Cantonese. They were the only source of people that I could communicate with. I live in Boston and I lived in a white neighborhood where there were no Asians. If they were, they were either mixed with white and didn't even care about the other side of them or you had the Asians who would just "kow tow" to the white students. That's what made me different from the jump. I never backed down from that and would get into constant fights in middle and high school just to defend myself as a Chinese person and for the Asian kids who just take it from the white kids.

The worst was when I had to eat. Luckily, Quincy has a HUGE Asian population and you're not going to get pork fried rice and chicken fingers around these parts. Guess what? I have to speak Cantonese! And I was deathly afraid. I still remember when I was in front of the restaurant and I started crying because I was so embarassed that they might laugh at my Chinese. Every time I would go to a Chinese restaurant, it would be with my parents and they would be the ones to order. This was the first time I got FORCED out of my comfort zone and my stomach was growling. I had no choice. I know you guys might think this is silly and all but this really helped me learn who I am. I realized that I can't live off burgers and fries. That is NOT my comfort food. Wonton noodle soup with beef tendon is my comfort food. I realized then and there that it's up to me to keep this tradition going.

I don't have a great relationship with my parents. Hence, the reason why I don't live with them. It did give me a better perspective that I am a Chinese person first and foremost and I need to embrace who I am because I am one of the rare people who can speak two languages and my Cantonese is good enough where I can pass it onto my kids. When I was younger, our arguments between my parents were always about "communication". They would always say "there's miscommunication because there are words we don't know how to say in English that you don't understand". This is true. I took this to heart because I want to salvage something even though they have hurt me countless times. You know what I did? I started watching HK Drama. Lol. I know, it sounds stupid but it has helped me enormously. You don't get how much watching these dramas has helped me improve my Cantonese and my reading/writing! My relationship between my parents is still strained but when I talk to them, they are wondering who the hell I am speaking to? Also, I text them in Chinese writing and I never Google Translate until I have to. Why? Because I know some of the Chinese words and I can put two and two together sometimes. The communication is getting better because I specicifally wanted to learn. I didn't take this a chore or anything. I took it as something I need to do for myself and for my future.

My ABC's - I beg of you to embrace yourself that you are a lucky person! You know another language and a lot of people can't say that! Just don't be afraid. Do not be me. I have noticed the native Chinese people are actually really happy that you are trying to speak to them in Chinese rather than just speaking to them directly in English. It shows that you want to learn and care about who you are. When they see that, they're more than happy to give you a few more pieces of soy sauce chicken.

My favorite thing to do when I have to speak to someone native is I say "I'm sorry, I'm "jook sing" please forgive my Cantonese if my tone and pronouncation isn't right".

You know what the best compliment a native can give you? "Wow! You sound like a native Hong Konger! Your Chinese is really good!"

Last edited:
i'm not asian but i am the child of immigrant parents, earlier i had written a LONG post in attempt to give a nuanced response to the question of culture as it related to immigrant americans and their children in america, as i really enjoy discussion about how culture is defined, but thought it was way too long to be actually read & would probably be misinterpreted so i deleted it...seeing some of the comments has me really curious though:

how do y'all that have immigrant parents think of the relationship between "culture" as it is in their home countries vs. how it manifests here in the states? how do you decide what practices/traditions/values to keep or discard/dismiss? how do you think your parents/family in that country think of those things you decided to dismiss? does that matter to you?

i see reference to the idea of both language loss & white-washing (i'd define this as assimilation into a predominant culture rather than dismissing the culture of one's ethnicity, but that could be semantic view or besides the point), but generally that is the trajectory of most peoples that emigrate from one country to america (haven't been enough places to say it is also true of other countries but anecdotally is seems uniquely american) & stay for multiple generations...

my moms has lived in the states her whole adult life, been here longer than she lived in her home country, is a naturalized citizen here, but she would never say she was culturally american, the values she wanted to pass along to her children were those of her native country's culture, and even though i believe she would say all my siblings do have those values, ultimately she would admit, as would people native to her country, that we are way more american culturally; i think most immigrant parents would concede similarly, if they were being honest. the children of immigrants may have more respect for, and/or come with a perspective than/different from a native born americans with non-immigrant parents with respect to different culture(s), even been to their parents country and love some aspects of the culture there, but what that snowboarding girl is saying very natural, at least as i choose to see it, for someone who grew up in america, it isn't a denial of being asian/korean; it's just that her experience is that of an american who is of korean descent...i doubt in that world of snowboarding, her being korean was something something she couldn't be acutely aware of...

even ethnic groups that develop their own enclaves here in america (e.g., chinatowns, k-town, little haiti, etc.), though similar end up being separate & different/distinct from their countries of origin...so my question is the goal to keep a distinct culture or is it to link back to your og's culture? perhaps both?

Y'all ever mess with duo lingo?

love that app, hard for me to keep with being consistent though...the ai convos that they added a while ago can be hilarious!

Wouldn’t he be considered american filipino? Family is from america but then grew up / lived in the philippines. Kinda the reverse of fil-am.

Wouldn’t he be considered american filipino? Family is from america but then grew up / lived in the philippines. Kinda the reverse of fil-am.

for me i would agree if he had settled in the philippines and continued to live there and "be a filipino", similar to how our families came from other countries but settled and built up lives in america.

but he does speak tagalog, better than most of us :lol:

Yeah, mine is rusty. Need to watch shows so I can speak it better. Last time I was over there i’d talk to the waiters in tagalog and my family would laugh. I dunno why it was funny. to them.

how do you decide what practices/traditions/values to keep or discard/dismiss? how do you think your parents/family in that country think of those things you decided to dismiss? does that matter to you?
my parents are REALLY old school. i live my life in a more modern fashion. once i hit college and started being really independent, my parents initially thought i was wild and out of control (i really wasn't though) for the smallest things, such as going out with friends for dinner.

just recently, they realized that they can't control me anymore since it's my life and i'm old end responsible enough. ps, my parents FINALLY trust me now :rofl::nthat:

Last edited:
hah my tagalog is passable, i was able to communicate/interview/examine patients decently but often with some repeating or reconfiguring words or asking for translations lol

but i got the laughter often too, its the american accent. /kanyeshrug

never listen to asian parents they only see their kids as trophies
they only want you to stay at home study, graduate and get an well payed job
i never listened to my parents, i was an 16y/o highschool drop out that was addicted to weed
never got any diplomas, dont have a job and refused to go find a job and have a criminal record
my parents are ashamed of me lol when they are with other chinese peeps and they start to talk what their kids do in daily life me parents just keep it quiet and hope they dont ask them what me and my sister do for a living :rofl:
and btw i give 0 fxs about chinese norms and values, call me white washed THC washed or whatever you want

As a child I was always compared to my cousins. CONSTANTLY. I didn't have very good grades in elementary, middle, or high school. Mom always gave me the "Why can't you be more like your cousin?", who always studied and got straight A's throughout his academic career. Mom even wanted me to go to graduate school because both my older cousins went to grad school.

She don't say much to me anymore because after she found out how much I was making she shut it. ****s, annoying though. You don't need to be straight A honor roll, extracurricular activities throughout high school, or go to a UC bull**** to make it. That's what Asian parents do not understand.

They love bragging about "Oh, my daughter/son goes to USC/UC..whatever."

Back
Top Bottom