Asian Culture Discussion Thread

I went on a trip to Bangkok, Seoul and Tokyo back in March. First time ever in that region of the world. I was so amazed at the way of life and cultures there.

I am of a Middle Eastern background, and obviously grew up in the West, but Far East Asia is really something different and makes you see the world different.

My mind was blown at the technology in Seoul and Tokyo. The toilets that looked like fresh from the twilight zone! I met a robot assistant at the Incheon Airport in Seoul...like... whaatt? I felt like Borat when he visited the U.S.

Now I see why some westerners become obsessed with far east Asian cultures. So cool yet mystifying modern and traditional all in one. There are some things obviously that can be seen as setbacks and not as liberal but there's so much where I thought I was living like a Flinstone back in Canada compared to over there.

First time where after I visited counties I was reading on the culture just to understand things. I even got into K-Pop. Ugh.

besides the music, theres a lot other ways kpop idols become popular such as going on variety shows, acting, competitions, etc.
one of the biggest things I enjoy watching are the variety shows they become guests on.

Also jpop groups are usually HUGE and they focus more on fan service than music/dancing
Kpop had a huge push because it was a 'soft power' strategy pushed by the Korean government. After the financial crisis in 1997, they came up with this strategy to make South Korea's economy prosper in part due to exporting Korean entertainment. And it worked.

But K-Pop now is having these big sex scandals popping every year that could hurt the squeaky clean billion dollar industry. The recent one is pretty explosive in terms of the effect on some of the biggest male Korean music pop stars.

I've been getting an undercut with a short fade on the side blended into long hair on top. But I've been getting kind of sick of that look.

Either gonna try this longer cut out or cut it all off with a short fade. A dude at my gym has this same style, dyed orange too, but not tryna approach dude between sets and ask him about his hair. Might get permed and try out something diff if it doesn't **** up my hair.

cheese13-00075.jpg

58409613_852950545048976_3540333752609643108_n.jpg

That's orange? I always thought it was brown. When I think orange I think ichigo

I personally like my hair like this with a tight fade, I've never had hair this long before. It's really high maintenance. I've had that anders cut forever, I look better with long hair on top but I'll miss the comfort and convenience

upload_2019-5-25_22-3-9.jpeg

Kpop had a huge push because it was a 'soft power' strategy pushed by the Korean government. After the financial crisis in 1997, they came up with this strategy to make South Korea's economy prosper in part due to exporting Korean entertainment. And it worked.

No evidence, just feeling, but I think it was "food" first. Somewhere along the way Korean food actually gained an identity- although pretty well established in my area since before.

Also sometimes we (in the US) mistake other countries going "global" as targeting the US market. But I feel like K- Everything started by targeting Japan/China/SE Asia then Europe and on and on...then early this decade some moderate breakthroughs Rain, Wonder Girls, well actually was there anyone else?
-
Thought for second Asian NT was posting of ourselves and haircuts.

I mean I'm pretty sure they just invested (a relatively small amount) in some entertainment companies that were doing well because they saw some financial and tourist benefits to the "Hallyu wave". Seems logical and straight forward.

Our government has a history of working with Hollywood, Sports, etc too.

Now that I found this thread..man...lol. So many thoughts and questions as I want to learn more about far East Asian culture.

Random thoughts from my trip...

It was so interesting to me how Japan is known to be so polite and you'll get the best customer service in the world, but that's because of how they have to save face, known as honne and tatemae. The whole concept of private mind and public mind. There's so much etiquette that as a foreigner I am sure I may have come off rude or ignorant. I learned when I came back from the trip reading up on Japanese culture etiquette and do's and dont's. Let's just say even the way I eat sushi is very wrong. Lol

But then in SK, I found the people to be more blunt and outspoken rather than the Japanese who would not even care tell you what they really think. In Thailand they're just super friendly and smiling all the time.

Even the greeting with the bowing in each country was different. I had gotten to Seoul after Bangkok and was greeting Koreans with my hands clasped like in prayer mode and nodding my head, but in Korea they just nod their head at you.

Oh and Seoul, so much street style and swag but very uniform, where I felt Tokyo there was more uniqueness and that grunge look. I was amazed at how everyone looks so damn good in Seoul. Men and women are dressed like straight out of GQ and Vogue magazine. Even the children are dressed impeccably.

I was amazed at how perfectionist Koreans are in everything they do. The COEX underground mall in Gangnam. Wow. Myengdong District. Wow. I never shop much when I travel but I blew my money in Seoul. As a girl, I wish I could have bought all the skincare products. I was surprised how the Korean men shop in beauty stores too.

Another remark about Seoul...Never have seen so many couples in my life as much as there. Never knew 'coupling' was a thing and the couples even match clothing there and dress alike when they go out. What's up with that?

Sorry for my rambling...just my random thoughts from an outsider. I definitely want to go back!

Even the greeting with the bowing in each country was different. I had gotten to Seoul after Bangkok and was greeting Koreans with my hands clasped like in prayer mode and nodding my head, but in Korea they just nod their head at you.

the thai bow is called "wai", tourists dont have to do it. were you wai-ing everyone? hotel staff, security guards? thats one of the funniest things i see in bangkok. and most of them do it wrong too. hahah

since it was your first trip, youre probably having a bit of "grass is greener.." syndrome.

Shang Chi, Mulan, Akira, and CRA Sequel all coming out in 2020/2021.

Akira the most exciting one. Hope they give it the budget it deserves.

Now that I found this thread..man...lol. So many thoughts and questions as I want to learn more about far East Asian culture.

Random thoughts from my trip...

It was so interesting to me how Japan is known to be so polite and you'll get the best customer service in the world, but that's because of how they have to save face, known as honne and tatemae. The whole concept of private mind and public mind. There's so much etiquette that as a foreigner I am sure I may have come off rude or ignorant. I learned when I came back from the trip reading up on Japanese culture etiquette and do's and dont's. Let's just say even the way I eat sushi is very wrong. Lol

But then in SK, I found the people to be more blunt and outspoken rather than the Japanese who would not even care tell you what they really think. In Thailand they're just super friendly and smiling all the time.

Oh and Seoul, so much street style and swag but very uniform, where I felt Tokyo there was more uniqueness and that grunge look. I was amazed at how everyone looks so damn good in Seoul. Men and women are dressed like straight out of GQ and Vogue magazine. Even the children are dressed impeccably.

I was amazed at how perfectionist Koreans are in everything they do. The COEX underground mall in Gangnam. Wow. Myengdong District. Wow. I never shop much when I travel but I blew my money in Seoul. As a girl, I wish I could have bought all the skincare products. I was surprised how the Korean men shop in beauty stores too.

Another remark about Seoul...Never have seen so many couples in my life as much as there. Never knew 'coupling' was a thing and the couples even match clothing there and dress alike when they go out. What's up with that?

Sorry for my rambling...just my random thoughts from an outsider. I definitely want to go back!

The different countries' cultures are so varied and unique. It's cool you picked up on some of the subtle differences.
I feel like one way to sum up Korea's bluntness is an underlying string of non stop competition.
Keeping up with the Kims, as one of my college professors used to say.

There's a ton of nuanced etiquette and manners that Koreans expect/sort of not expect from non- Koreans, but I feel like we love to talk about ourselves and explain our culture and heritage - see there I go doing it :lol:

Couldn't ever do the couple look with gf/wifey, but now I'm even more cringey because I'm "matching" with my son.

I was amazed at how everyone looks so damn good in Seoul. Men and women are dressed like straight out of GQ and Vogue magazine. Even the children are dressed impeccably.

Lol I have a friend from Korea that had to go back there. This dude always dressed nice even when he wasn't trying. Every time we went out there was atleast one person complimenting his fit. His name was Ji pronounced like the letter "G". I would always call him GQ/Ji Q :lol:

Minute 0:15-that's a helluva flying leap in just to break up fight.
Minute 0:36-great recovery and hit back with the right.
Minute 0:44-who the clown that ran to take homeboy's license plate.

One, shouldn't be revving car around crowded downtown. Nobody wants to hear that noise.
Two, idiot just trash walking, talking, acting the fool in front of his kid.
Bottom line good for homeboy to defend his property.
Got in some great hits. Can you imagine the pedestrian doing anything if further up the East Bay?
Dude would have died.

I've been in the area, nice cars drive there all the time, so it's nothing crazy.

Where the **** were the Asian dudes homies? If that dude in blue tackled my friend like that I'd be jumping in ASAP.

Seen that video last yr, Asian dude is an actor, you can tell he's had some boxing or muay thai training too

Back
Top Bottom