Asian Culture Discussion Thread

In regard to the Lum v. Rice case, it is sort of misrepresented, as it was not a challenge to racism. I wonder if the authors of the meme knew that?

That said, it was not until Brown v. Board of Ed that the issue of separate but equal was challenged, then overturned. It also allowed people like Lum's daughter, to attend the school of her choice. However, Lum's challenge would have preserved racism and Jim Crow, while allowing Lum's family a smidgen of white privilege. Thurgood Marshall was one of the lawyers on the Brown v. Board of Ed case. This was a fight that was being had in regard to the challenge to end racial SEGREGATION, most notably, for Black people. However with the challenge to this law, all other minorities in the US also gained freedom from those Jim Crow laws, those that governed much of US.

It seems that whenever Black people gain a bit of freedom, we also pull others along for the ride.

This is a fact, and it seems that it is often forgotten.
Although the plaintiffs in Lum did not act in solidarity by challenging the designation of "colored" for American-born citizens of Chinese descent, it is the Court's rejection of this argument that is particularly salient in the context of a post intended to illustrate the longstanding persistence and pervasiveness of anti-Asian discrimination in the United States. While the plaintiffs did, as a matter of legal strategy, opt to pursue exemption from rather than elimination of Mississippi's segregated schooling, the Court's decision nonetheless affirmed that the Lum family was legally considered part of the "colored" caste.

If it is your purpose here to seize on this one example out of many to portray Asian Americans as generally complicit in perpetuating racism, you are acting to antagonize this thread's participants and will be removed. Think about how you'd feel if someone went into the Black culture thread to post about the racially-motivated assault allegedly committed by Yahya Muslim in Oakland, or Candace Owens' efforts to seek individual exemption rather than act in solidarity on matters like ICE's separation of immigrant families, in an apparent effort to shame or stigmatize the Black community generally. If this was not your intention, I strongly suggest that you take a step back and reassess your approach in this thread.

Were it not nuisance enough to see you and computersputin computersputin constantly sniping at each other across threads, the two of you have caused considerable collateral damage and widespread offense in the process. In effort to make each other look bad, you've each sullied your own credibility and harmed discussions that SHOULD provide solace and support for those besieged by bigotry both on and offline. It's petty, it's utterly counterproductive, and it needs to stop. If the two of you won't do so by choice, the moderation team will resolve it for you through the revocation of posting privileges.

anyone know of that brand chinatown market? their ads have always popped up on my IG feed and I recently decided to look into their brand considering their namesake. a few things: i'm disappointed this brand is created and owned by white folks. in talking about how the brand was started they reference the hustle and culture of chinatown's Canal St as being a part of the inspiration. the fact that dude could just appropriate, commodify and profit off of the culture of the chinese community rubs me the wrong way. on some culture vulture ****. on top of things, despite the spike in violence against folks in Chinatowns and xenophobia, they've been silent.. nothing. in a world where tweets are almost as important as presidential press conferences, the aint said a thing.

no one owns a culture and no one can claim to singlehandedly represent it; i understand that much. but if someone took your family's story, wrote a book about it and made money without you seeing any benefit, I'm sure you'd reserve the right to be bothered.

Although the plaintiffs in Lum did not act in solidarity by challenging the designation of "colored" for American-born citizens of Chinese descent, it is the Court's rejection of this argument that is particularly salient in the context of a post intended to illustrate the longstanding persistence and pervasiveness of anti-Asian discrimination in the United States. While they did, as a matter of legal strategy, opt to pursue exemption from rather than elimination of Mississippi's segregated schooling, the Court's decision nonetheless affirmed that the Lum family was legally considered part of the "colored" caste.

If it is your purpose here to seize on this one example out of many to portray Asian Americans as generally complicit in perpetuating racism, you are acting to antagonize this thread's participants and will be removed. Think about how you'd feel if someone went into the Black culture thread to post about the racially-motivated assault allegedly committed by Yahya Muslim in Oakland, or Candace Owens' efforts to seek individual exemption rather than act in solidarity on matters like ICE's separation of immigrant families, in an apparent effort to shame or stigmatize the Black community generally. If this was not your intention, I strongly suggest that you take a step back and reassess your approach in this thread.

Were it not nuisance enough to see you and computersputin computersputin constantly sniping at each other across threads, the two of you have caused considerable collateral damage and widespread offense in the process. In effort to make each other look bad, you've each sullied your own credibility and harmed discussions that SHOULD provide solace and support for those besieged by bigotry both on and offline. It's petty, it's utterly counterproductive, and it needs to stop. If the two of you won't do so by choice, the moderation team will resolve it for you through the revocation of posting privileges.
That wasn’t my intent at all. The case mentioned speaks to how many tend to forget how and who has caused such divide, and how the ascension toward white supremacy allows many to look upon being considered “colored”, as some sort of insult. The situation with computersputin was brought to my attention, as I was told of his sudden focus upon black crime. That is what I was addressing with him. My whole position is simple, white supremacy is all of our problem. Bending and twisting to be accepted by that system, isn’t doing anyone any favors.

Followup:
Seriously, this is the official response?!?!
“Serve and Protect” mean anything anymore?!?!
Outrageous. Victims be harmed and dead waiting for response.

Rank and File objected to the Stupidity.
Top Brass forget and become Politicians.

:angry:

News gets much more interesting.
Flip to second page. Police Chief is an Idiot.

That wasn’t my intent at all. The case mentioned speaks to how many tend to forget how and who has caused such divide, and how the ascension toward white supremacy allows many to look upon being considered “colored”, as some sort of insult. The situation with computersputin was brought to my attention, as I was told of his sudden focus upon black crime. That is what I was addressing with him. My whole position is simple, white supremacy is all of our problem. Bending and twisting to be accepted by that system, isn’t doing anyone any favors.
Unless I'm mistaken, the late Gong Lum is not participating in this discussion. As such, who are you trying to shame and stigmatize for "bending and twisting" for acceptance into the privileged White caste?

You've been in this thread repeatedly talking about the model minority myth. Are you assuming everyone here needs that message?

We saw a lot of fleeting, performative allyship from people who posted #blacklivesmatter in July, and now some of those same hashtag activists are finally taking notice of anti-Asian hate crimes. Someone shared an Instagram post to make the point that this is not a new issue, and you immediately picked out the one example of someone trying to align themselves with White Supremacy for personal gain. What message does that send? Consider your audience. Do you want your message to that audience to be one of solidarity, or finger-pointing?

It would be like joining a discussion involving the anti-Semitism of people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and replying with a post about the model minority myth. Let's be consistent: context matters.

Model minority myths are toxic and ultimately serve to reinforce both White Supremacy and the subordination of the so-called "model" group, but focusing on that right now, as if that's not already widely-acknowledged, is like the media's obsession with property damage during protests of police violence. Asking "why is THIS your priority in this moment" is not an endorsement of wrongdoing.

I trust that you now get why this is problematic and hope this thread can move forward.

Unless I'm mistaken, the late Gong Lum is not participating in this discussion. As such, who are you trying to shame and stigmatize for "bending and twisting" for acceptance into the privileged White caste?

You've been in this thread repeatedly talking about the model minority myth. Are you assuming everyone here needs that message?

We saw a lot of fleeting, performative allyship from people who posted #blacklivesmatter in July, and now some of those same hashtag activists are finally taking notice of anti-Asian hate crimes. Someone shared an Instagram post to make the point that this is not a new issue, and you immediately picked out the one example of someone trying to align themselves with White Supremacy for personal gain. What message does that send? Consider your audience. Do you want your message to that audience to be one of solidarity, or finger-pointing?

It would be like joining a discussion involving the anti-Semitism of people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and replying with a post about the model minority myth. Let's be consistent: context matters.

Model minority myths are toxic and ultimately serve to reinforce both White Supremacy and the subordination of the so-called "model" group, but focusing on that right now, as if that's not already widely-acknowledged, is like the media's obsession with property damage during protests of police violence. Asking "why is THIS your priority in this moment" is not an endorsement of wrongdoing.

I trust that you now get why this is problematic and hope this thread can move forward.
Considering that right here on this very thread about asian culture, someone decided to complain about there being too many Black topics? Someone needs to understand that policing Black people in order to make white supremacists and their supporters feel comfortable, isn’t the move. I have not commented in here before, until someone @‘ed me. Out of respect I’ve stayed away from this thread, as everyone should have the right to celebrate their own ancestry amongst their own.

Been saying for longest time back in Virus Thread Fredo’s brother had blood on his hands.
Time to resign, return the Emmy and get ready for criminal charges covering up getting people killed.
This just the cherry on top. Good for Ron Kim not backing down cause his uncle died from incompetent policy.

NY State Assemblymember

Good news.

Justice finally served.
2017-2019-2021.
About d * time.

Bad news.
WTH.

Followup:
little bit of better news.

Robin a B *

Dbags

Pretty good two part series on the surge of crimes in Oakland Chinatown. covers the community response, the background of one of the perpetrators, local government's role in it, as well as some historical roots to anti-Asian racism in the US. Probably about a 20 minute read but definitely worth looking over if you're trying to gain some insight as to what's going on

https://oaklandside.org/2021/02/12/oakland-chinatown-policing-hate-crimes-community/

https://oaklandside.org/2021/02/12/oakland-chinatown-policing-hate-crimes-solidarity/

some interesting quotes:

Lasaphangthong doesn’t see the uptick in robberies as tied to race. “I don’t see people just targeting Asians. They’re targeting vulnerable people,” he said. “I don’t see it as Blacks against Asians. I see it as crimes of opportunity.”

Lasaphangthong said he has a unique perspective on the situation due to his own background. “I was a criminal. I was imprisoned for 20 years,” he said. “These are the things we do—if we see someone carrying a high name-brand purse, it doesn’t matter what color the skin is. We don’t know what is inside the purse, but just because we want that purse. That’s the crime that I see around here—not because of race.”

Fife outlined her views about what really drives crime, specifically robberies and burglaries: “Until we address the primary predator—the white supremacy that creates criminality—we will always have secondary predators because their primary needs haven’t been met,” said Fife during the livestream with Love. “Just because those conditions exist, doesn’t mean we won’t deal with the secondary predators, but we have to understand that the conditions that create those predators should be our number one issue.”

Oakland-based teacher and artist Thi Bui, who identifies as Vietnamese, says she learned a lot from Black organizers responding to the police killing of George Floyd last year, and from classes based on an ethnic studies program taught at San Quentin State Prison. She’s come to feel that reliance on police and incarceration is not an answer to the pain and grief flowing out of Chinatown right now, and that it’s important to consider and address root causes of violence and trauma in Oakland, like providing better access to mental health care and other basic needs.

hope yall are doing well. just spent my afternoon on a long run through Oakland's lake merritt and chinatown, which are adjacent to each other. hella racial diversity in this city. absolutely love to see it.

I know the comments section are the worst place to see anything hotly debated in this country but I've peeped into Nike's and ESPN's IG posts about stopping the violence and hate against Asians and all I see are jokes and the finger pointed at China.

I'm shocked and not shocked at the same time. Americans and this new younger generation don't even know what goes on in their own country. You would think in an age of information people would be more informed and aware :smh:

For the Math & Science inclined Asians: Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, Filipino.

That kind of lag is EXTREMELY common when police commit murder.

The more details you read, the more disturbing situation is.
Was a mental health crisis call. Not hearing violent combative freakout.
Some cops seriously effed up.
See what happens.

The more details you read, the more disturbing situation is.
Was a mental health crisis call. Not hearing violent combative freakout.
Some cops seriously effed up.
See what happens.

Mental health crisis translated to 🐷🐖 speak with equivalent of a high school diploma is “shoot and don’t worry about the consequences because there won’t be any serious ones”.

This is a normal occurrence and standard procedure, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom