Asian Culture Discussion Thread

NikeTalk is a diverse, integrated community by design. Diversity, however, is not synonymous with assimilationist homogeneity. There deserves to be a space for people to talk about anti-Asian hate crimes that doesn’t become “let’s rehash all my grievances with other NikeTalk members,” just as there deserves to be a Black Culture thread without that being co-opted and redirected by other people for other purposes. We didn't let the threads about the lynching of those like Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Ahmaud Arbery, Freddie Gray, Sandra Bland, and Breonna Taylor become co-opted by “all lives matter” messaging. The same respect is owed here. Speaking out in support of someone else is not the same as speaking in place of someone else.

This is a thread where pan-Asian experiences should be centered, just as Black experiences should be centered within the Black Culture Discussion Thread.

Where NikeTalk's rules are concerned, behavior is defined as “trolling” if it is conducted in bad faith. To take a superficial example, if a Celtics fan goes into the Lakers season thread to post “lol, LeFraud is hurt,” it's obvious that they don't care about the Lakers or LeBron James' health, and are only interested in antagonizing those who do. This does not mean it's against the rules for anyone to post about LeBron's injury, obviously, only that such discussions should occur in good faith.

That said, to participate in these threads is to issue public comment on issues of broad importance. If someone re-posts content from a source that routinely participates in the dehumanizing criminalization of Black Americans – thus contributing to violence against Black Americans – it is not an act of bad faith to call that out.

As I've said previously, threads like this one, and our forums as a whole, should serve as sanctuaries from racism – not sanctuaries for racism. It's not okay if someone is posting racist, sexist, heterosexist, or otherwise hateful content in any thread. Anyone has the right - if not the moral obligation - to call that out.

We should be calling out injustice wherever it occurs – and focusing on where it occurs is not an inconsequential element. Calling out the rank sexism in posts attacking Asian women in this very thread is not the same as hauling in garbage from elsewhere and trying to force other people to answer for it - like the conversation about Dinesh D'Souza. If one of the conspiracy nuts on the site posts something anti-Semitic, it should be called out where the post was made. It's not okay for someone outside of the Black community to drag something some random user said or something Nick Cannon said into the Black Culture thread and try to shame all the thread regulars over it, as if they co-signed it - and it would be especially offensive to drag it somewhere like the George Floyd thread. It's beyond disrespectful to just Iverson high-step over someone's casket to focus exclusively on your own concerns without demonstrating the most basic empathy for the hurt and suffering being experienced all around you.

There's been some real hypocrisy on this issue lately: several regulars from this thread dumping anti-Asian social media posts (which, for all you know, could've originated in a St. Petersburg troll farm) into the Black Culture Thread, cribbing data tables from Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour to level generalized accusations to foist Black Americans as the primary drivers of anti-Asian violence, while several regulars from the Black culture thread have come in here with generalizations about racist shopkeepers, pointing the finger at individual Asian Americans who’ve been on the wrong side of other social justice issues, like Dinesh D'Souza, as if they’re the cause of anti-Asian violence.

In either case, the group interests you're MOST advancing are actually those of the White Supremacists whose power requires their solidarity and others' division.

Sadly, all groups have their regressive constituents – but, in the United States, it’s been regressive White coalitions who’ve had the power to institutionalize and legislate discriminatory policies. Exploiting the misguided prejudice of a few individuals in a time of mourning over a hate crime to try and knock the target group off the moral high ground is disrespectful, to say the least.

It is vulgar, to say the least, to come into a thread in which those directly impacted by a hate crime are providing mutual support to shift focus to other issues without so much as acknowledging the pain and injustice they've endured.

If you don't sincerely care about the central subject matter of this thread, reconsider your participation here. Think about the type of support you'd like to receive from members of other groups and lead by example.

I have no clue as to who that is.
Then you appear to be suffering from selective amnesia.

do you know what an IP address is and how the admins on the site can use that to determine who is circumventing any prior bans?
I do. The staff has given a lot of users in this conversation a second chance. That includes JPS and Khufu. Even those who haven't been banned before have benefited from the staff's lenience. You've managed to rack up a bunch of warnings yourself.

We don't give people a second chance so they can repeat the same mistakes - or to sweep those misdeeds under the rug. There are, of course, some transgressions we can't reasonably forgive - but this would be a much lonelier place were we to treat every single infraction as cause for lifetime, cross-platform expulsion. We can hold people accountable while allowing for the possibility of growth.

The diversity of perspectives on this site gives everyone here the opportunity to better understand how our words and actions on others can impact others, often in unanticipated ways.
You can selfishly dismiss this feedback and act like "nobody's perfect so none of this matters" or you can learn from it and choose to be better.

If you don't care what anyone else thinks or feels, the platform you're looking for is a blog with commenting disabled - not a community.

Did you see what he just said to me? He is denying white supremacy as well!

im not sure what he has more of a problem with

white guy dating an asian woman or an asian woman saying black people aren't the enemy. Im not sure what his angle is.

Right,
im not sure what he has more of a problem with

white guy dating an asian woman or an asian woman saying black people aren't the enemy. Im not sure what his angle is.
The issue was clear, once the conversation became about women? It went in the other direction. Nothing I said was in bad faith, because I said that misogyny is a global problem.

Misogyny is also a NikeTalk problem.

How come I didnt get banned?

You promised a ban.

you have evenl ess credibility now.

you're ,"Tekashi KHUFU KHUFU "
As I told jrepp23, I do not want you to be banned. However, I did report your homophobic, sexist commentary. Let's see if that is found to be offensive as well.

A566E87F-0C4B-478B-9C46-320E7DEC5220.jpeg

Hey KHUFU KHUFU so it does appear you do know who that is? Or is Methodical Management Methodical Management lying as well?

All White men? Each and every one?

Do ALL white men say that about ALL Asian men?

For someone against white men, you have a lot of white men friends to know what all white men feel.

White supremacy and the stereotype of Asian men persists due to racism, it suggests that all asian men are weak, passive, and that all asian women are hypersexual, wanting to please.

Is this not a fact?

Hijo Del Promo Hijo Del Promo ,

I have asked you a legitimate question, care to respond?

White supremacy and the stereotype of Asian men persists due to racism, it suggests that all asian men are weak, passive, and that all asian women are hypersexual, wanting to please.

Is this not a fact?

NikeTalk is a diverse, integrated community by design. Diversity, however, is not synonymous with assimilationist homogeneity. There deserves to be a space for people to talk about anti-Asian hate crimes that doesn’t become “let’s rehash all my grievances with other NikeTalk members,” just as there deserves to be a Black Culture thread without that being co-opted and redirected by other people for other purposes. We didn't let the threads about the lynching of those like Trayvon Martin, Mike Brown, Ahmaud Arbery, Freddie Gray, Sandra Bland, and Breonna Taylor become co-opted by “all lives matter” messaging. The same respect is owed here. Speaking out in support of someone else is not the same as speaking in place of someone else.

This is a thread where pan-Asian experiences should be centered, just as Black experiences should be centered within the Black Culture Discussion Thread.

Where NikeTalk's rules are concerned, behavior is defined as “trolling” if it is conducted in bad faith. To take a superficial example, if a Celtics fan goes into the Lakers season thread to post “lol, LeFraud is hurt,” it's obvious that they don't care about the Lakers or LeBron James' health, and are only interested in antagonizing those who do. This does not mean it's against the rules for anyone to post about LeBron's injury, obviously, only that such discussions should occur in good faith.

That said, to participate in these threads is to issue public comment on issues of broad importance. If someone re-posts content from a source that routinely participates in the dehumanizing criminalization of Black Americans – thus contributing to violence against Black Americans – it is not an act of bad faith to call that out.

As I've said previously, threads like this one, and our forums as a whole, should serve as sanctuaries from racism – not sanctuaries for racism. It's not okay if someone is posting racist, sexist, heterosexist, or otherwise hateful content in any thread. Anyone has the right - if not the moral obligation - to call that out.

We should be calling out injustice wherever it occurs – and focusing on where it occurs is not an inconsequential element. Calling out the rank sexism in posts attacking Asian women in this very thread is not the same as hauling in garbage from elsewhere and trying to force other people to answer for it - like the conversation about Dinesh D'Souza. If one of the conspiracy nuts on the site posts something anti-Semitic, it should be called out where the post was made. It's not okay for someone outside of the Black community to drag something some random user said or something Nick Cannon said into the Black Culture thread and try to shame all the thread regulars over it, as if they co-signed it - and it would be especially offensive to drag it somewhere like the George Floyd thread. It's beyond disrespectful to just Iverson high-step over someone's casket to focus exclusively on your own concerns without demonstrating the most basic empathy for the hurt and suffering being experienced all around you.

There's been some real hypocrisy on this issue lately: several regulars from this thread dumping anti-Asian social media posts (which, for all you know, could've originated in a St. Petersburg troll farm) into the Black Culture Thread, cribbing data tables from Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour to level generalized accusations to foist Black Americans as the primary drivers of anti-Asian violence, while several regulars from the Black culture thread have come in here with generalizations about racist shopkeepers, pointing the finger at individual Asian Americans who’ve been on the wrong side of other social justice issues, like Dinesh D'Souza, as if they’re the cause of anti-Asian violence.

In either case, the group interests you're MOST advancing are actually those of the White Supremacists whose power requires their solidarity and others' division.

Sadly, all groups have their regressive constituents – but, in the United States, it’s been regressive White coalitions who’ve had the power to institutionalize and legislate discriminatory policies. Exploiting the misguided prejudice of a few individuals in a time of mourning over a hate crime to try and knock the target group off the moral high ground is disrespectful, to say the least.

It is vulgar, to say the least, to come into a thread in which those directly impacted by a hate crime are providing mutual support to shift focus to other issues without so much as acknowledging the pain and injustice they've endured.

If you don't sincerely care about the central subject matter of this thread, reconsider your participation here. Think about the type of support you'd like to receive from members of other groups and lead by example.

Then you appear to be suffering from selective amnesia.

I do. The staff has given a lot of users in this conversation a second chance. That includes you, JPS, and Khufu. Even those who haven't been banned before have benefited from the staff's lenience.

We don't give people a second chance so they can repeat the same mistakes - or to sweep those misdeeds under the rug. There are, of course, some transgressions we can't reasonably forgive - but this would be a much lonelier place were we to treat every single infraction as cause for lifetime, cross-platform expulsion. We can hold people accountable while allowing for the possibility of growth.

The diversity of perspectives on this site gives everyone here the opportunity to better understand how our words and actions on others can impact others, often in unanticipated ways.
You can selfishly dismiss this feedback and act like "nobody's perfect so none of this matters" or you can learn from it and choose to be better.

If you don't care what anyone else thinks or feels, the platform you're looking for is a blog with commenting disabled - not a community.

So with Pan-Asian topics being the center of this thread and rightfully so- is a conversation about Asian’s role in anti-blackness (specifically the participants in this thread’s anti-blackness that is evident every single day) as it directly relates to violence against Asians somehow off topic or “co-opting” the thread?

So with Pan-Asian topics being the center of this thread and rightfully so- is a conversation about Asian’s role in anti-blackness (specifically the participants in this thread’s anti-blackness that is evident every single day) as it directly relates to violence against Asians somehow off topic or “co-opting” the thread?
List the names who have made anti-black posts.

List the names who have made anti-black posts.

this has been addressed multiple times. If you frequent this thread and don’t know, then you’re part of the problem.

Stop being lazy and make use of the search function If you really care.

Don’t rely on other people to spell it out for you . If you aren’t capable or sifting through the thread yourself and identifying it, maybe you need to do some self examination.

Don’t come to me demanding that I do the work for you. I am not obligated to do it for you and there’s no reason you can’t do it for yourself if you are truly interested.

this has been addressed multiple times. If you frequent this thread and don’t know, then you’re part of the problem.

Stop being lazy and make use of the search function If you really care.

Don’t rely on other people to spell it out for you . If you aren’t capable or sifting through the thread yourself and identifying it, maybe you need to do some self examination.

Don’t come to me demanding that I do the work for you. I am not obligated to do it for you and there’s no reason you can’t do it for yourself if you are truly interested.
I don’t want quotations, just names. You might have a problem with just a few posters and but wanna paint it as the major sentiment of this thread. Stop looking at those dumb posts on IG. I belong to some Asian group chats and our sole main focus is to stop the violence against our people, not being anti black.

I don’t want quotations, just names. You might have a problem with just a few posters and but wanna paint it as the major sentiment of this thread. Stop looking at those dumb posts on IG. I belong to some group chats and our sole main focus is to stop the violence against our people, not being anti black.
👀

Back
Top Bottom