Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

BIGGEST QUESTION FOR ME.

WERE THERE EVER TALKS TO BRING BACK NIKE AIR ON JORDANS?

Memph... I brought this up in a Jordan thread once.
Save for Jordan 1's... Mike himself has said the Nike Air will NEVER as long as he's at Jordan and getting a check will have Nike Air on the back of it.

His thoughts are that he's worked too hard on his brand to share the branding of his shoe.  Its something he's VERY adamant about and many dont understand it and most dont want to hear it, but thats the absolute way its goin to be as long as that dude is at the helm. 

Rock/NikeDealer, (do you even post as RD anymore?)

Good to read/see that you're DC. I've seen a lot down here since moving from Upstate NY, different styles, kids with Retro's and no idea about the back story. I have to admit, I don't listen to sports radio much, outside of the Junkie's in the morning, but thanks for giving a little bit of your personal experiences out here.

Funny being a member for so many years and hearing all of this in bits and pieces, months apart too, all in one place.

I would love to be in one of those meetings with Nike back in the day. Do they still make it out here? I'd give a 28 year old perspective...

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

CWK - question...

I am also a teacher (8th grade socials)... do you wear nice kicks to work every day? I do, and the kids love hearing the stories behind each model that I wear, especially the basketball players I coach... I know you teach elementary, but figured I would ask...

^^ I love this post.  I don't picture teachers rocking nice sneakers on a daily basis, at least any teacher I ever had!!

Originally Posted by NikeDealer

BIGGEST QUESTION FOR ME.

Save for Jordan 1's... Mike himself has said the Nike Air will NEVER as long as he's at Jordan and getting a check will have Nike Air on the back of it.

His thoughts are that he's worked too hard on his brand to share the branding of his shoe.  Its something he's VERY adamant about and many dont understand it and most dont want to hear it, but thats the absolute way its goin to be as long as that dude is at the helm. 
An article posted on kicksonfire, (I believe), mentioned nike air coming back on some 2013 jordan models.  Is it safe to assume that won't happen?

- I've only taught Pre-K so far, so the only thing that impresses my students about my shoes is their size (16).  I did have one student this year who had just about every new Air jordan release.  He said his dad has a lot of sneakers.  I was a volunteer coach for many NIKE Basketball camps and clinics and those kids were much more into it.

- Off topic, but there's a great article on the 92' Dream Team in this month's GQ.  All of the team members contribute.  One part by Magic Johnson had me DYING.  He said that when they were playing Venezuela and Angola, the players would post them up and yell "Now!' to friends in the stands who would take pictures.  Another player kept telling Magic "I need your shoes!, I need your shoes!".  DURING THE GAME!  Magic said "Man, I need my shoes."
laugh.gif

i'm an aspiring designer, thanks for dropping the helpful information! sadly no schools in my state offer industrial design but i'm doing what i can to afford a school out-of-state that offers it. great thread, very inspiring.

Thanks for dropping all the knowledge on us CWK and NikeDealer! It is very much appreciated. I was curious about the Nike Air on Jordans as well so glad we can finally put it to rest. It sounds like it's very tough to make it into footwear and marketing without some sort of connection. How difficult is it to make it into their other business departments like Finance and Operations? I'm just asking from personal experience as I've applied to some of their Finance jobs here locally in Southern California and never hear back from them. I Know their headquarter is in Beaverton so maybe the regional jobs in satellite locations like Southern California are even more selective. Or perhaps, my experience wasn't up to par at the time or there were more qualified candidates. Just curious...

Originally Posted by The NOR

Rock/NikeDealer, (do you even post as RD anymore?)

Good to read/see that you're DC. I've seen a lot down here since moving from Upstate NY, different styles, kids with Retro's and no idea about the back story. I have to admit, I don't listen to sports radio much, outside of the Junkie's in the morning, but thanks for giving a little bit of your personal experiences out here.

Funny being a member for so many years and hearing all of this in bits and pieces, months apart too, all in one place.

I would love to be in one of those meetings with Nike back in the day. Do they still make it out here? I'd give a 28 year old perspective...
Appreciate that... yeah.. we fill in for the Junks from time to time... as they trust us to keep up their ratings for ratings bonuses lol..
I've actually been out to the Beav a few times since moving back. I have alot of friends obviously still at Nike so keeping my relationships are important to me.

Originally Posted by ryanang7

BIGGEST QUESTION FOR ME.

An article posted on kicksonfire, (I believe), mentioned nike air coming back on some 2013 jordan models.  Is it safe to assume that won't happen?

I'll say this.  IF by ANY chance you see Nike Air come back on a Jordan.. it will be because they are going to have the most HYPED Release with Limited pairs to jack up the price so much you'd wish they'd never done it at all.
Someone showed Mike a Sample pair of IIIs with Nike Air on the back and he lost his lunch cussin lol... 

Originally Posted by ucmeatuci

Thanks for dropping all the knowledge on us CWK and NikeDealer! It is very much appreciated. I was curious about the Nike Air on Jordans as well so glad we can finally put it to rest. It sounds like it's very tough to make it into footwear and marketing without some sort of connection. How difficult is it to make it into their other business departments like Finance and Operations? I'm just asking from personal experience as I've applied to some of their Finance jobs here locally in Southern California and never hear back from them. I Know their headquarter is in Beaverton so maybe the regional jobs in satellite locations like Southern California are even more selective. Or perhaps, my experience wasn't up to par at the time or there were more qualified candidates. Just curious...

Hey bro.. I wouldn't say its STRICTLY who you know and connection BUT moreso about the hard work and connections you are willing to make.  Everyone didnt always know someone.  Hell I didnt know anyone until I met someone ya know.
Just do some research.. send a resume directly to someone and when making contact be smart in your introductions.  I always tell folks when meeting Nike guys out while doing Market Research when they give you a card.. .send a thank you note about a week later thanking them for taking the time out to allow you into their Market Research Group.

NEVER EVER ask for shoes.  Just thank them.. and let them know if they ever need help pulling a diverse group of folks together i nyour area again feel free to contact you.  You will get a message back at some point.  The hardest thing to do for Nike folks is to get a DIVERSE group of folks together.

Not just Shoe heads.. but guys who run.  Guys who play football... Guys and gals who play different sports or enjoy their everyday lifestyle kicks.  The last thing Nike really wants for a Focus group is a bunch of Sneaker heads only into the latest hype shoe.  Does nothing for them. They know they can sell a hype shoe or limited release.

Keep in touch with your contact from time to time and ask if there's anything they need or let them know if you will be in Beaverton at some point (hint hint).  Im more than sure they will accomodate you with a campus tour.

Not many folks are willing to travel to Beaverton on their own dime not knowing if they'd get free shoes or not.  The intent is to build a relationship and invest in something good.  It aint always about the free shoes.  Those will come.  Trust me.

CWK and Destro, thanks lifting the Nike, Inc. veil a bit with all of the great insight.

I collaborated with Jshortt, fellow NTer on a successful effort to sway one of JB's retro releases.  My latest target for the past few years has been a concept shoe that I've
been bugging the suits at JB to release.  My question is how effective are the "sneaker community's" efforts in influencing Nike, Inc. releases?
And if they do give the go-ahead, how long does it take for that shoe to land on shelves?

Super....

I can say from conversations had.. mtgs sat in on.. people clamoring for certain releases and petitions really dont help. A petition with 200 let alone 2000 signatures isn't going to sway Nike's or Jordans decision to release something that goes to retail on an International basis with way more than 200K at times in production.

I will say you can walk thru the hallways of NSW... and Nikebasketball and see Black Screens with Red and White lettering on it to check out feedback from "leaks" that take place.

EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING save for a Quickstrike is a 12 month process. They plan every release out a year in advance. Orders are made from Sales guys as well as people visiting the Magic show every year.

Samples are shown to Footlocker to determine what they want to purchase and what exclusive colorway they will get as well as Champs and Finishline.

What the Sneaker Community at large influences is what they are willing to pay for certain energy releases. If Nike keeps pushing up the price to see if it will be paid by consumers.. they will keep pushing.

For instance.. when the Lebron VI was replaced with the new design.. they took a great suggestion from someone I have known ALL my life (hint hint) and made that release ALL Semi Limited.. meaning you had over 15 to 20 colorways... and if you didnt buy them the first time you saw them you probably wouldnt get them.

It was successful...and they did that with a few other releases as well. That method will never be given the credit to the person who suggested it.. but that is one of the negatives of the situation. Again.. I could write a tell all book for the masses that would keep NT riveted from cover to cover.. but it aint that serious to me.

Kind of a noob question regarding stocks sold in outlets. Is there a specific limit into how much a specific model could be sold to consumers? For example, I haven't seen Lebron's fall off into the 50 off range... in outlets in my area that is. Thanks RD/NikeDealer.

If y'all have Netflix there's a cool documentary called "Inside the Swoosh" that reminded me a lot of this thread. It's a few years old but still cool and informative on the history of Nike.

Yeah... I remembered seeing it... it was ok... but trust me.. Nike only let them air what they wanted them to.

Its sort of like the guy who wrote the tell all about the goings on at ESPN but the folks at ESPN had no idea they were all telling on themselves.

That documentary was much more tame than it could have been... but interesting none the less.

this thread definitely delivers.
pimp.gif

i can't believe they haggled you about the player exclusive shoes when you wore them to work though
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Rock's stories are pretty interesting too.

If I can think of any other cool question that hasn't been asked yet I'll definitely do so.

Originally Posted by welcometothetonezone

this thread definitely delivers.
pimp.gif

i can't believe they haggled you about the player exclusive shoes when you wore them to work though
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Rock's stories are pretty interesting too.

If I can think of any other cool question that hasn't been asked yet I'll definitely do so.

Yeah I figured as much. Definitely not the insight people like yourself can bring to the table, for sure.

Thanks guys for sharing this information! Nice hearing the stories and experiences. Nikedealer I've been following some of your posts over the years. You seem to have a good grasp of what goes on in certain areas from what I've read.

Can you guys explain any on the design processes that Nike uses as far as from a concept portion to production in stores-what are the time tables for that stuff. I know the signature model Jordan is a year ouT but how much time is spent in design process, to marketing ideas, to having an actual concept in hand and from that point how soon before it hits the store front.

How about pay and benefits. From my understandings from a few people tHat worked at Niketown Atl and another rep from another shoe company pay isnt the best. From the Niketown prospective they had friends that left for Beaverton only to find out it was much more difficult than expected. From my standpoint money isn't everything as long as you love the job is why I asked.

If you guys had the chance to go back would you do it again?

What do you guys think is the driving force that comes along with these more recent releases? It was never like this . Nike has some pretty good tactics on marketing but I think we have all seen the magnitude of how bad it has gotten. Are they not producing enough or is it just the demand that much more? And how long do you guys feel this retro craze will go on before it's too watered down or is this part of nikes plan?

I haven't posted in years here but still read. This thread has pulled me in. So after reading a response to a question I developed my question. CWK said Mike himself commissioned a particular pair of team Jordans be made in a certain colorway in limited numbers, how often did this happen and who could do that? And what's the turn around once the ordered was placed? Thanks.

For instance.. when the Lebron VI was replaced with the new design.. they took a great suggestion from someone I have known ALL my life (hint hint) and made that release ALL Semi Limited.. meaning you had over 15 to 20 colorways... and if you didnt buy them the first time you saw them you probably wouldnt get them.

It was successful...and they did that with a few other releases as well. That method will never be given the credit to the person who suggested it.. but that is one of the negatives of the situation. Again.. I could write a tell all book for the masses that would keep NT riveted from cover to cover.. but it aint that serious to me.

Would love to hear more details on this if you dont mind

Originally Posted by steeda972003

Thanks guys for sharing this information! Nice hearing the stories and experiences. Nikedealer I've been following some of your posts over the years. You seem to have a good grasp of what goes on in certain areas from what I've read.

Can you guys explain any on the design processes that Nike uses as far as from a concept portion to production in stores-what are the time tables for that stuff. I know the signature model Jordan is a year ouT but how much time is spent in design process, to marketing ideas, to having an actual concept in hand and from that point how soon before it hits the store front.
I know some shoes used to be on a 18 month design process but all shoes at Nike are now on a 12 month process... but its not literally 12 months.. Its 12 month from Concept to retail.  Some shoes once they get to a certain point in the design process already have its follow on product in the works.  At Jordan you have a team of folks working on the Jordan Signature line.  They would love to have you believe Tinker is working on it full time but the last couple have been passed around like a cheap +*$*$* lol.. Tinkers name was just attached.

The shoe accordingly looks as such. I wont go into the backstory of why.. but thats the way its been. On the Nike side.. there is the Designer.. the Creative Design Manager and the PLM...  At NSW there is a few Designers.. but namely Dolce and a PLM.  You guys do realize each designer has a crap load of sneakers to design EACH season.. not just one per year. Its unreal what they have to put into each design and stay creative.. hence why you see some simularities in designs from shoe to shoe.
How about pay and benefits. From my understandings from a few people tHat worked at Niketown Atl and another rep from another shoe company pay isnt the best. From the Niketown prospective they had friends that left for Beaverton only to find out it was much more difficult than expected. From my standpoint money isn't everything as long as you love the job is why I asked.
Some designers aren't even making 100K per year.. some of the Lead designers almost are... but when you are getting 50% of your salary as a bonus depending on performance of a shoe you are doing pretty ok.  BUT designers are making NO WHERE near what you would expect them to make.  Im sure EACH one would gladly take .50 cents from each shoe sold to go towards their salary or bonus.  They would d opretty well.

I know personally one designer who designed a pretty simple shoe which is re-released EVERY year into the market at Lower tier stores and it has sold over 10 Million pairs.  Do you think he see's the residuals from that?  Heck no...

If you guys had the chance to go back would you do it again?
Yup...again and again.  I'd change some things that I think dont work and adjust the culture a bit..as you go into ANY corporate entity you find the one's to say there is a way of doing things and a NIKE way of doing things.. but that in my mind is not always the BEST way.  Many there would agree.. but its not always just a way.. but a culture.

What do you guys think is the driving force that comes along with these more recent releases? It was never like this . Nike has some pretty good tactics on marketing but I think we have all seen the magnitude of how bad it has gotten. Are they not producing enough or is it just the demand that much more? And how long do you guys feel this retro craze will go on before it's too watered down or is this part of nikes plan?
Simply said..... Hype.   Nike can produce as much as it wants for any release.  They choose not to.  They are not silly enough to limit their revenue.. but they are smart enough to make enough to drive demand up and make the money they want to drive hype to the next release. 

I'll try to give a very simplified outline of the process from conception to retail. 

- Inspiration can be shaped by different factors such as a specific technology, event, signature athlete, previous shoes, vehicles, etc...
- A rendering (blueprint) is finalized.
- Factories make look-see samples which may or may not be functional, and are used a physical reference.
- Adjustments are made if needed; if not, then a production of weartest samples is created.
- Testers wear the shoes for a pre-determined period and record their feedback in a journal.
- Developers use this feedback to make improvements.
- Cosmetic features such as materials and colorways are finalized and full production begins.
- Product is distributed to doors based on account type, category, and availabiltiy.

Back
Top Bottom