Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Catch22,
Were you referring to me?  I wasn't trying to diminish anyone's part in the process.  The developers are insanely talented.  Craig Santos was one of my favorite people at NIKE.

CWK,,, I made my explanation much more general and also left out developers who can be very implemented on the process... but I will say CWK you left out the input of the PLM and Creative Design Manager which could have been because you were also abbreviating the process.

There are MANY critical aspects I'd say to the entire process and many moving parts contingent on another. Catch22 you care to add to it?

CWK...no. We were posting at the same time; I should have used the quote function.

I was referring to Rock: " On the Nike side.. there is the Designer.. the Creative Design Manager and the PLM..."

I'd love to partake in this discussion, but I'm too lazy to type!
laugh.gif

PO

Originally Posted by Catch22

CWK...no. We were posting at the same time; I should have used the quote function.

I was referring to Rock: " On the Nike side.. there is the Designer.. the Creative Design Manager and the PLM..."

Yeah def. my mistake on that one.  But then someone might say I left out the Materials Designer like they have/had on the Jordan side.  I def know the Developer is critical as I have had long discussions with them on both sides.
Hell fools wouldnt be getting congruent if you will) shoes...and you are the reasons True to Size is even a term
laugh.gif
...You in many ways determine when and when certain aspects of design are even feasible when the PLM does not.

So yes.. critical indeed.  *my apologies*

In fact... I've always wondered who acts as the PLM and Developer for the designers in the Kitchen.. I cant say I've met anyone who's been either in there. Designers only. Then again they may use the services of those in different depts. depending on what project they are working on.

Lebron didnt have a PLM for quite some time and not sure if he does now or not. Petrie has ALOT of work in his lap indeed.

Rock or CWK what does the term PLM stand for? I've seen it used a ton in this thread, but can't remember anyone explaining it.

long time reader, first time poster. reading this has made me want to post "this is a great read and you guys are great to let pass this info on" 
smokin.gif

PLM = Product Line Manager

PO2345, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

As a coordinator, I was at the bottom of the R&D heirarchy, so I didn't attend many team meetings with the higher ups.  My perspective is limited as far as titles and roles played in what was a very long, complex process.  I'm learning a lot in this thread.

i read every page of this man real informative stuff answered a lot of stuff i always had thought about

Originally Posted by NikeDealer

Originally Posted by ucmeatuci

Thanks for dropping all the knowledge on us CWK and NikeDealer! It is very much appreciated. I was curious about the Nike Air on Jordans as well so glad we can finally put it to rest. It sounds like it's very tough to make it into footwear and marketing without some sort of connection. How difficult is it to make it into their other business departments like Finance and Operations? I'm just asking from personal experience as I've applied to some of their Finance jobs here locally in Southern California and never hear back from them. I Know their headquarter is in Beaverton so maybe the regional jobs in satellite locations like Southern California are even more selective. Or perhaps, my experience wasn't up to par at the time or there were more qualified candidates. Just curious...

Hey bro.. I wouldn't say its STRICTLY who you know and connection BUT moreso about the hard work and connections you are willing to make.  Everyone didnt always know someone.  Hell I didnt know anyone until I met someone ya know.
Just do some research.. send a resume directly to someone and when making contact be smart in your introductions.  I always tell folks when meeting Nike guys out while doing Market Research when they give you a card.. .send a thank you note about a week later thanking them for taking the time out to allow you into their Market Research Group.

NEVER EVER ask for shoes.  Just thank them.. and let them know if they ever need help pulling a diverse group of folks together i nyour area again feel free to contact you.  You will get a message back at some point.  The hardest thing to do for Nike folks is to get a DIVERSE group of folks together.

Not just Shoe heads.. but guys who run.  Guys who play football... Guys and gals who play different sports or enjoy their everyday lifestyle kicks.  The last thing Nike really wants for a Focus group is a bunch of Sneaker heads only into the latest hype shoe.  Does nothing for them. They know they can sell a hype shoe or limited release.

Keep in touch with your contact from time to time and ask if there's anything they need or let them know if you will be in Beaverton at some point (hint hint).  Im more than sure they will accomodate you with a campus tour.

Not many folks are willing to travel to Beaverton on their own dime not knowing if they'd get free shoes or not.  The intent is to build a relationship and invest in something good.  It aint always about the free shoes.  Those will come.  Trust me.
Thanks for answering my question. A follow up but totally unrelated question...Of the major retailers (Eastbay, Footaction, Footlocker, Champs, and Finishline), why is Finishline treated as the red headed step child? Finishline does not stock Kobe's line, Foamposites (or the Penny line?) and pretty much any of the limited releases. Was Footlocker just bigger and worked with Nike to get an exclusive contract for a better catalog of shoes? I never understood why I couldn't go to a Finishline and get a pair of Kobe's.     

I would assume they either dont pay for the right to carry it or as larger retailers go, Footlocker has the exclusive rights? Not sure and Im probably off but thats pure speculation just an educated guess.

I'm pretty sure Finishline turned down the opportunity to carry Kobe's themselves. They carried the 1's and 2's I believe but since sales weren't as good as they liked, they stopped carrying them. Who knows if they've tried to get them back since then though.

how hard is it to get into the accounting department of Nike? Are you required to do an internship?

- Someone else asked about getting into the financial side of NIKE earlier, too.  I can't speak from firsthand experience but I would assume because NIKE is such a high profile global company that the competition is greater than average.  You can check nikebiz.com for internships.  I would think that most of those positions would be in corporate locations like Beaverton or Memphis.

- Foot Locker, Champs, Eastbay, and Footaction are all part of Foot Locker Inc. (formerly Venator Group).  I guess with their dominant purchasing power, they may have an exclusive arrangement with NIKE regarding Kobe product.  Do they still do exclusive NIKE shoes like the Tuned Max line?  I don't shop in mall stores much because they don't cary my size.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by CWK

- Someone else asked about getting into the financial side of NIKE earlier, too.  I can't speak from firsthand experience but I would assume because NIKE is such a high profile global company that the competition is greater than average.  You can check nikebiz.com for internships.  I would think that most of those positions would be in corporate locations like Beaverton or Memphis.

This... 
The ONLY reason I would say working as an intern can help your chances over say a person coming from a big Accounting firm or such is Nike isn't paying you serious coin.  their IT services are contracted out and I believe up for renewal soon... 

What some may not know and I'll share is check the classifieds and head hunter temp services in Beaverton and Portland.  Nike is ALWAYS employing temps for different things ON and OFF campus.  They always advertise it as working for a Global Footwear Company.. never by name.

Once you get in.. you are only allowed to work so many months before you have to take a month off and come back.. but if they like you they can request you by name.  Its another route to use when Nikebiz.com and sending your resume thru normal channels do not work.  Trust me on that one.  (You are welcome in advance)

Originally Posted by MrDozo

Great thread. I'd like to thank all the contributors.
Very informative.

yeah thanks for the info guys, will have to check it out and see what I found. When looking onling didn't see really any positions for the US. Most were in the netherlands and China

great thread very informative indeed
smile.gif

my question is why in US nike always have restock for some kind limited shoes (like concord, HD galaxy, etc) but in other country they didn't do the same thing (for example china) , i can speak for this since i'm living in china at the moment

Originally Posted by jusbekicks

Very informative.

yeah thanks for the info guys, will have to check it out and see what I found. When looking onling didn't see really any positions for the US. Most were in the netherlands and China

Not sure looking online in Career Builder will help.  You literally need to look up local Portland and Beaverton Temp Agencies and such to see what they have.
As for restocks...

I try to explain to people.. what Consumers think are restocks aren't what is really a restock.

In Asia since Products are produced there.. you are getting all that was ordered..

Where as when US places are having their products dropped shipped they may not get everything at the same time so they get them in waves or in different shipments.  Eastbay may get 20 out of 25 boxes for instance and have more arrive later.

The same goes for the Nike Warehouse when Nike.com releases more pairs.  Its not an exact science by any means.. but Nike does ONE production run.. they dont go back and say.. hey lets produce more because of demand.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

BIGGEST QUESTION FOR ME.

WERE THERE EVER TALKS TO BRING BACK NIKE AIR ON JORDANS?

Memph... I brought this up in a Jordan thread once.
Save for Jordan 1's... Mike himself has said the Nike Air will NEVER as long as he's at Jordan and getting a check will have Nike Air on the back of it.

His thoughts are that he's worked too hard on his brand to share the branding of his shoe.  Its something he's VERY adamant about and many dont understand it and most dont want to hear it, but thats the absolute way its goin to be as long as that dude is at the helm. 

Scumbag Jordan strikes again. Buddy needs to get over himself already. SMH. Great thread, btw....thanks for the info fellas.

Originally Posted by jusbekicks

Very informative.

Not sure looking online in Career Builder will help.  You literally need to look up local Portland and Beaverton Temp Agencies and such to see what they have.
As for restocks...

I try to explain to people.. what Consumers think are restocks aren't what is really a restock.

In Asia since Products are produced there.. you are getting all that was ordered..

Where as when US places are having their products dropped shipped they may not get everything at the same time so they get them in waves or in different shipments.  Eastbay may get 20 out of 25 boxes for instance and have more arrive later.

The same goes for the Nike Warehouse when Nike.com releases more pairs.  Its not an exact science by any means.. but Nike does ONE production run.. they dont go back and say.. hey lets produce more because of demand.
thx for the answer, now i know why there is no restock in china
laugh.gif
and one question i want to ask ; is it legal to pre order the shoes before release day? because most of nike store in here they do such kind of thing (pre order the shoes 1 month before release day) eventually when the shoes hit on release day they will be sold out maybe never hit the shelves
mad.gif
(exceptional for hype shoes like yeezy, foams galaxy,air jordan, and etc)

I"ll save us from another employment question....

What is the process for a Nike athlete to get a special mock up of a colorway or model? I know that all athletes are on a differing tiers when it comes to footwear, gloves, equipment, etc., and the big dogs get all open doors and people willing to give them things first.

For example. Deion Sanders, arguably one of the best athletes in our lifetimes and a forever endorsed Nike athlete. Being on NT for years now, and seeing that famous photo of his ******* XIs and I believe some stuff with the Reds, how did he get Jordan XI cleats without being a JB athlete, get a non football/baseball cleat setup before it really became popular, and all while having his own line? Same thing with football gloves, for a period of time he was just wearing batting gloves.

So again, how does an athlete get a non sport specific shoe, made with a cleat plate? Is it that easy to do? Do they just have an account manager that they can call and say I need this shoe, this type of plate, in this colorway, and boom it ends up in the equipment room two months later?

Originally Posted by The NOR

I"ll save us from another employment question....

What is the process for a Nike athlete to get a special mock up of a colorway or model? I know that all athletes are on a differing tiers when it comes to footwear, gloves, equipment, etc., and the big dogs get all open doors and people willing to give them things first.

For example. Deion Sanders, arguably one of the best athletes in our lifetimes and a forever endorsed Nike athlete. Being on NT for years now, and seeing that famous photo of his ******* XIs and I believe some stuff with the Reds, how did he get Jordan XI cleats without being a JB athlete, get a non football/baseball cleat setup before it really became popular, and all while having his own line? Same thing with football gloves, for a period of time he was just wearing batting gloves.

So again, how does an athlete get a non sport specific shoe, made with a cleat plate? Is it that easy to do? Do they just have an account manager that they can call and say I need this shoe, this type of plate, in this colorway, and boom it ends up in the equipment room two months later?

Great question.... But.. Deion is now an Under Armour "Athlete"/Endorser.  One thing Nike will do is remove your name and put initials if they cant work out an agreement if not removing everything.   Best believe if Penny couldn't work out a good figure his name wouldn't be on the Foams or any other new shoe.
But to answer your question...  Its the same premise as Duke being a Nike school but you see players wearing Jordans or NC being a Jordan school and them wearing ALOT of Nikes.  They get options.  You want your athletes to be happy and comfortable.  Jordan is always sending Nike athletes product and vice versa.

My boy Lavar Arrington who I do a TV show with and we work for the same radio station got Jordans when he was playing and he wasn't an official Jordan athlete. Trust me atheletes who are top tier guys dont even need to request specific stuff.... it just shows up. of course there are times when they are required to wear particular product by their assigned Sports Marketing person.

Lebron doesnt just up and pick which shoes he wants to wear every game.  He has his days where he is instructed on what to wear and he has days where he wears whatever. Alot of product placement is calculated... some is just athletes being spoiled by the swoosh.  Its no coincidence that the rest of the Heat were wearing Elite Products during the last games of the finals when Bron wore his Elite 9s.

They realize its more than just NT looking at pics but pics of feet are taken all the time and captured in historical moments. Sounds corny.. but think about all the famous shots or moves Jordan had and you remember what kicks he had on.

Back
Top Bottom