Ask a former NIKE Basketball employee...

Edit: Not sure why my post has to go thru approval but this is in response to bucknuteagle.

In my eyes, it has diminished.  The amount of shoes that release per year and the hundreds of colors that get released, takes away the mystique from the Jordan shoe.

Sadly, everybody is a sneaker collector nowadays.  You have some people who just want to follow trends.  You have some (like myself) who grew up watching Mike play and wanting to be like him.  Wearing his shoes and trying to dunk from the free throw line or trying to do the fade away jump shot like him, lol.  And then you have those who just want to buy in order to re-sell.

For me,  Jordan Brand doesn't exist w/o Nike.  With his sig shoes, there is a history that Nike was/is a part of.  From the ad campaigns/commercials to the posters, they all involve both brands.  It's kind of hard to explain but for me, it just wouldn't have the same feeling.

Last edited:
Edit: Not sure why my post has to go thru approval but this is in response to bucknuteagle.

In my eyes, it has diminished.  The amount of shoes that release per year and the hundreds of colors that get released, takes away the mystique from the Jordan shoe.
Sadly, everybody is a sneaker collector nowadays.  You have some people who just want to follow trends.  You have some (like myself) who grew up watching Mike play and wanting to be like him.  Wearing his shoes and trying to dunk from the free throw line or trying to do the fade away jump shot like him, lol.  And then you have those who just want to buy in order to re-sell.

For me,  Jordan Brand doesn't exist w/o Nike.  With his sig shoes, there is a history that Nike was/is a part of.  From the ad campaigns/commercials to the posters, they all involve both brands.  It's kind of hard to explain but for me, it just wouldn't have the same feeling.

I think, much like me and Rock, we agree just from different perspectives. I grew up wanting to be just like Mike as well. My first truly firm basketball memory is seeing Mike's last shot in the finals sitting in front of the tv in my living room. And yes, in my eyes also, the brand has diminished. It endures largely because of Mike's legacy and not because of any of the current designs or players that they've got under contract which is unfortunate. However as far as being a business goes they're on top of the world, and for them that's what counts. For us, yes the brand just isn't what it used to be, but our dollars spend just the same as all of the re-sellers and hypebeasts, and it all helps JBs bottom line.

I think, much like me and Rock, we agree just from different perspectives. I grew up wanting to be just like Mike as well. My first truly firm basketball memory is seeing Mike's last shot in the finals sitting in front of the tv in my living room. And yes, in my eyes also, the brand has diminished. It endures largely because of Mike's legacy and not because of any of the current designs or players that they've got under contract which is unfortunate. However as far as being a business goes they're on top of the world, and for them that's what counts. For us, yes the brand just isn't what it used to be, but our dollars spend just the same as all of the re-sellers and hypebeasts, and it all helps JBs bottom line.
Sadly, you are correct.  They are only concerned w/ the bottom line.  And for a lot of that, we are to blame.  The complaints the majority of us have are valid (quality control, no Nike Air) yet we continue to buy the product.  Why would Jordan Brand use quality materials if they are moving units w/ the cheaper ones?  Larger profit margin for them.  I believe the Nike Air will return (hopefully) when the sales of Jordan Brand start to decrease.  However, I don't see that happening any time soon.
ohwell.gif

I'm sorry, but you must be insane!
I didn't say that to insult you or flame you, but what makes you think that putting Nike Air on a Jordan shoe, is going to make a difference? Do you really think that outside of Nike Talk, that people are sitting around saying, you know, I wish they'd put Nike Air back onto these kicks, multi branding is awesome! Also, you cannot complain about the quality of Jordan's shoes, not when NIKE is having issues with quality across the board.
Let me ask you this, why is having Nike Air on the back of Jordan's shoes so important to you?
In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to make a difference.  It only matters to me.  I couldn't care less what anybody else wants.  I agree with you, outside of this board, nobody really cares about the Nike Air logo.

I never said Jordan Brand was the only one with quality control issues.  I'm quite aware of the issues that Nike has.

In an earlier post, I discussed why having Nike Air was important to me:  "...You have some (like myself) who grew up watching Mike play and wanting to be like him.  Wearing his shoes and trying to dunk from the free throw line or trying to do the fade away jump shot like him, lol.....For me,  Jordan Brand doesn't exist w/o Nike.  With his sig shoes, there is a history that Nike was/is a part of.  From the ad campaigns/commercials to the posters, they all involve both brands.  It's kind of hard to explain but for me, it just wouldn't have the same feeling."

I hate to argue with you AKA, but I know atleast more than a handful of people in my community who are not on Niketalk, that wish Jordans, specifially the III's, IV's, V's, and VI's would release with the Nike Air of it.

I don't know why, but people want the "Nike Air" on their J's.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me, but it will just give the general public another reason to buy the shoes.

For example, 4 years from this day, July 28th, 2016. The Olympics are back at it. The Olympic VI and VIIs are releasing again. People are saying, hey, these released 4 years ago!?! WTF??? But this time the VI and VIIs have a Nike Air logo rather than the Jumpman .... And all of a sudden ... A Footlocker manager in Westchester, PA starts talking about how these are different from 4 years ago, because of this simple change in the logo. It creates mass hysteria ... And they sell out ... agian!!!

It's the same reason the Flu Game XII's came out. We all know Jordan scored 38 with the flu, did JB/Nike really have to put a logo on the shoe and add Nubuck? No, the shoe would have sold out regardless, but this just gives them a reason to release the shoe in the next few years, with another minor change to get the public to buy.

When Nike/JB are needy, they will release the shoes with a Nike Air logo on it.

Jordan might just make sure, he puts a clause in the release, saying, "Just because the Cement IVs release with a Nike Air logo on it, all proceeds STILL go to the Jordan Brand."

Well I think we are under the same guise then... yes... Mike leaves.. Nike has to use another name on their designs... I cant even try and act like I know the design contract details.. but yes... take the Jordan AF1 Fusion.... The Nike side came up with that over in NSW and pitched it to Mike... he said... no as they were going to split the revenue on both sides.
At a later time he said yes... and had it done and handled over on the Jordan side..... and took ALL the revenue lololol. The more I think about some stuff... the more I give credance to what AKA says because of examples like.
When the Nike shoe that resembles the Jordan XI but with straps (the name escapes me and I have 6 pairs) was released they mocked up colorways to resemble EVERY Jordan XI and Mike gave the Alexander thumbs down... So they had to switch up the color blocking. Later they released the Black/Red version and it caused some consternation over at the Brand.
This may be the reason for elephant and cement print used by different categories to jab at Jordan... I remember when the Lebron III was done....it was jokingly called the Jordan XI Cousin.....
Man I could go on and on about examples like that... but I'd have to switch up my thought process on designs as well as the logo and Jordan name.

man, this had me racking my brain trying to figure out which shoe...i can only think of maybe 2 nike shoes that had straps going back...the air raids and possibly the air sharkley...i remember rodman used to wear during the bulls days the ndestruct with that flap, but that didnt really resemble the jordan 11

Will the Mint Barcelonas restock in the States?? Help plz
i dont think so becoz from what i heard it europe exclusive release beside soccer isn't that popular in states even last year Kobe 6 barca CW didn't release in states also

"Will the Mint Barcelonas restock in the States?? Help plz"

Wrong thread ...

"It is no accident that the most popular sneaker for Nike and Jordan is the XI, which never had any mention of Nike, nor even featuring a swoosh on them at all."

If I am not mistaken, didn't the '96, 2000 Retro and 2001 Retro have Nike Air on the insole of the shoe?

"Let me ask you this as well, what other sneaker is so popular, that people are willing to buy and then wear fakes of the original?"

Air Force 1, Foamposites, and LBJ's are to name a few I believe ... Weren't variants of the LBJ IX dropping like crazy this past year?

Again, you are the man and I am not trying to argue with you at all. Jordan Brand is own a level of its own and it will not be touched by any other line in the near future.

man, this had me racking my brain trying to figure out which shoe...i can only think of maybe 2 nike shoes that had straps going back...the air raids and possibly the air sharkley...i remember rodman used to wear during the bulls days the ndestruct with that flap, but that didnt really resemble the jordan 11

Sharkleys... thanks... those are the one's I was speaking of.

Nike used to make all their kicks up to size 18, now it seems only Jordans get that treatment. I know its because of money...but we big foot dudes (16 & up) want some retro, posite, air max...love to. Any chance the powers that be wake up?

Nike used to make all their kicks up to size 18, now it seems only Jordans get that treatment. I know its because of money...but we big foot dudes (16 & up) want some retro, posite, air max...love to. Any chance the powers that be wake up?

Usually GR shoes get made in the larger sizes, but anything remotely limited production stops at a 13 or 14. It sucks for the big footers amongst us but if you've ever seen a graph of the % of population according to shoe size it drops off precipitously after about a 12 so its probably just not economically sound for Nike to make a lot of its releases in those sizes.

It is no accident that the most popular sneaker for Nike and Jordan is the XI, which never had any mention of Nike, nor even featuring a swoosh on them at all.

They did originally come in a Nike box ; they also had the word Nike and swoosh logo printed on the insoles and advertised as the Nike Air Jordan XI.
2s9828m.jpg

So what do you mean by, "which never had any mention of, nor even featuring a swoosh on them at all."

Last edited:
When was the last time you wore a Nike Box, or walked around with the insoles of your shoes showing?

You are deviating from your statement which was,"It is no accident that the most popular sneaker for Nike and Jordan is the XI, which never had any mention of Nike, nor even featuring a swoosh on them at all."

Which majority of people would interpret from your statement that zero form of nike branding/logo came with or was on the Jordan XI.

Packaging is just as important as the product.

For your sarcastic questions:

For instance, if you didn't know anything about Nike or Jordan during that time and you seen them on my feet and you asked me what shoes are those and I just tell you the new Jordans.
You go to the mall and ask for the new Jordans.

That worker would provide you with a NIKE box with a big swoosh on top of the box and when you take those shoes out the box and try them on, the first thing you see while looking down that hole to place your foot in is the word Nike, Air, and the Swoosh logo.

So this person who Knew nothing about either brands would now know that Nike, Jordan, Jumpman, and swoosh some how coincide with each other.

So reading from your statement above you are wrong which i interpret as if i bought the shoes back then not knowing anything about neither brand that i would think the Jordan brand existed on its own.

Last edited:
You are deviating from your statement which was,"It is no accident that the most popular sneaker for Nike and Jordan is the XI, which never had any mention of Nike, nor even featuring a swoosh on them at all."
Which majority of people would interpret from your statement that zero form of nike branding/logo came with or was on the Jordan XI.
Packaging is just as important as the product.
For your sarcastic questions:
For instance, if you didn't know anything about Nike or Jordan during that time and you seen them on my feet and you asked me what shoes are those and I just tell you the new Jordans.
You go to the mall and ask for the new Jordans.
That worker would provide you with a NIKE box with a big swoosh on top of the box and when you take those shoes out the box and try them on, the first thing you see while looking down that hole to place your foot in is the word Nike, Air, and the Swoosh logo.
So this person who Knew nothing about either brands would now know that Nike, Jordan, Jumpman, and swoosh some how coincide with each other.
So reading from your statement above you are wrong which i interpret as if i bought the shoes back then not knowing anything about neither brand that i would think the Jordan brand existed on its own.

*golf clap* for your analysis.

Clearly the spirit of his statement was that there's no noticeable Nike branding on the shoe. I suppose that you are correct if you're going by exactly what he said in his original post.

This is not to say that I particularly agree with AKA's analysis on this particular subject. There was a convergence of factors that lead to the popularity of the XIs, and its particular use of branding was probably a part of it.

Last edited:
The Air Jordan XI was the first shoe released in that series, that did not feature a swoosh on the outside of the shoe, this is historically factual.

Whether or not I stated this fact correctly, not mentioning the box, nor insole, this does not change the fact that this shoe does NOT feature a swoosh on the upper, which will identify this, especially from a distance, as a Nike Basketball shoe. This shoe has its own identity, directly connected to its endorser, which makes it his, and then not that of Nike, nor Nike Basketball.

Bro you lost me...Correct me if I'm wrong but I could of sworn that the Jordan Vii was first shoe released that did not feature a swoosh or Nike on the outside of the shoe. Neither did Vii, iX, or Xs have any nike branding on the outside of them which were 4 shoes styles before the XI.

So im not understanding what you are trying to convey.

Last edited:
From what I understand, at least I thought, on the OG, the VII had Nike on the tongue. IX, and X did as well. But I could be wrong. The quote used came from a news article.
However, it does not change the fact that the XI, did not feature a visible swoosh, or the word Nike anywhere on the upper.
So I don't know what you are trying to prove, never mind convey.

AKA dude, all the aforementioned had 'Nike Air' on the insoles. Interestingly enough the OG VIIs came in a box that had a large Jumpman lid but the XI had a regular Nike box. I know because I have my OG XIs as proof.

Who handles the design/progress of second tier shoes; like the ones you can only really buy at famous footwear and places like that? Dual-D's, those bootleg frees, etc.

I'm not sure why NT'ers like to get held up on this issue, but 99.9% of people buying Jordans DO NOT CARE about a Nike swoosh on the OG vs the retro. Not in the least bit.

I just spent the weekend in NYC, the dozens upon dozens of Chinese kids I saw rocking Jordans could not care less, I'm almost certain.

You think the people that do have OGs really want a retro with a Nike swoosh? Not a chance, then their kicks are no longer as rare and cool. The Nike Air/Jumpman is a non-issue. Maybe trolling JB employees will figure this out and sell 20 pairs of limited Cement IV's with a Nike Swoosh for $1K.

Who handles the design/progress of second tier shoes; like the ones you can only really buy at famous footwear and places like that? Dual-D's, those bootleg frees, etc.

Just as rare and special project shoes are handled by top designers in "The Kitchen"

Nike also has a section called "The Basement" where takedowns as well as 2nd tier shoes are designed. They are VERY profitable. If anyone is familiar with the Nike Monarch it is released EVERY year and may even hit clearance racks but have sold almost as many kicks as some signature lines in the 10 Million Range. Designed by Jason Mayden formerly of Jordan Brand.

Just as rare and special project shoes are handled by top designers in "The Kitchen"
Nike also has a section called "The Basement" where takedowns as well as 2nd tier shoes are designed. They are VERY profitable. If anyone is familiar with the Nike Monarch it is released EVERY year and may even hit clearance racks but have sold almost as many kicks as some signature lines in the 10 Million Range. Designed by Jason Mayden formerly of Jordan Brand.

The Air Jordan for the 55+ crowd. We could never have enough of these.

AKA,
What do you think about the Twitter comment Tinker's son made about quality at Nike, being in direct fault due to the issue that is former St. John's assistant soccer coach, Jim Keady?

Tinker actually doesn't have any sons... he only has three daughters...

Not sure where you're getting your facts on that one...

AKALONGSTROKE

"The Air Jordan XI was the first shoe released in that series, that did not feature a swoosh on the outside of the shoe, this is historically factual."

jordan_og_ii.jpg

interdasting.jpg

Back
Top Bottom