At its peak, nothing is better than Hip-Hop Music.

Put this against any song, any genre, any time period and it holds it's own.
Perfect song.

This is the essence of Hip-Hop.

This is all my era and my %!%%.....

But in terms of music, it is impossible to say nothing is "better" than this.

As much as I was raised on all of this, I tend to appreciate the musical quality of great R+B from the 60's, 70's etc. more.

A band, jammin'. The instrumentation on "That Lady" by the Isley's. "Tears Of A Clown" by Smokey". Nothing beats that IMO.

You posted "T.R.O.Y.". The sample carries so much weight in the beauty of that record.

Throw up some PE, with chopped samples musically and empowering lyrics, and now we talkin'......

Soul and reggae music from the 70's are actually my favorite sounds but you can sample all of those records and make great Hip-Hop.

You can't flip a Hip-Hop record and make it purely soul or reggae.

Thats the greatness of Hip-Hop, it is the ultimate amalgamation of sounds. The apex of musical technology.

The lyricism brought to the table by a true MC is what puts Hip-Hop over the top for me.

The profound social commentary on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" can be summed up by Nas in two lines.

That's powerful.

This joint right here can stand against any record ever made.
Public+Enemy+-+It+Takes+A+Nation+Of+Millions+To+Hold+Us+Back.jpg

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Soul and reggae music from the 70's are actually my favorite sounds but you can sample all of those records and make great Hip-Hop.

Thats the greatness of Hip-Hop, it is the ultimate amalgamation of sounds. The apex of musical technology.

The lyricism brought to the table by a true MC is what puts Hip-Hop over the top for me.

The profound social commentary on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" can be summed up by Nas in two lines.

That's powerful.

Well played my good man. 

Big and Puff took one of the hundreds of passing disco-era radio hits and turned into an anthem. Something that defined an era and a people.
I'm not saying that Hip-Hop is better than every other sound.

I'm saying that the best of Hip-Hop can stand next to the best of any other sound from any other era.

"Aight man...Begin."
Seriously...what the f_ is going on in these songs?

How could a teenager even create some s_ like this?

It's like an musical movie and every scene is saying something heavy...yet its cohesively enjoyable on a purely entertainment level.

S_ still blows my mind 20 years later.

I think we really take for granted what we had (should have) in Hip-Hop.

I love hip-hop, but none of those songs would have been made if parts of OTHER songs weren't a part of them. IMO sampling music is kinda gimmicky. Dont get me wrong I like it, but thats a reason why I dont think i could put hip-hop on the same level as other genres.

That's powerful.
lTmja.gif

I was ready to go in but good point. 
laugh.gif

Still love some "Footsteps In the Dark" by the Isley Brothers or "Everybody loves the sunshine"

And Brazilian Jazz.

Can somebody put me on some Goodie Mob? I feel like i been sleepin on these guys heavy

Originally Posted by WhatADingus

I love hip-hop, but none of those songs would have been made if parts of OTHER songs weren't a part of them. IMO sampling music is kinda gimmicky. Dont get me wrong I like it, but thats a reason why I dont think i could put hip-hop on the same level as other genres.

But not all great hip hop songs are derived from samples.

Sampling is gimmicky bc it's dont a lot. Most of the time not very well. It's easy to take sample, loop it and add some drums to it. A true artist could take that sample, loop it, cut it, etc etc and make a masterpiece.

I miss the stories within the beats, the feeling you get when you first hear it

"Aight man...Begin."
Seriously...what the f_ is going on in these songs?

How could a teenager even create some s_ like this?

It's like an musical movie and every scene is saying something heavy...yet its cohesively enjoyable on a purely entertainment level.

S_ still blows my mind 20 years later.

I think we really take for granted what we�had�(should have) in Hip-Hop.

Isn't it nearly depression thinking about what the average 18 year old �would make now?

Originally Posted by zube42

Originally Posted by solarius49

Can somebody put me on some Goodie Mob? I feel like i been sleepin on these guys heavy

Get their first 2 albums.

...be sure to listen in a car with some 15's or 12's too.

Good music is good music regardless of genre. I live & die good hip hop but I can't say it's better than another form of music or that other music is better than hip hop. I get the same religious experience listening to Fight The Power as I do John Coltrane's Equinox or Bob Marley's Zimbabwe.

Just saw this interview with Chuck D done around the time of the rock & roll HOF. I've seen him speak 10-15 times over the last 6-7 years. Love listening to what he has to say.

Back
Top Bottom