AT&T phone upgrade help/opinions Vol. iPhone 5 pushed back to the Fall

This info is probably in the Apple thread, but for reference:
(Wired) -- Apple has traditionally debuted new iPhones at its annual software developers conference, but this year's event in June will be 100 percent software news, according to a report.

Citing anonymous tipsters, well-sourced Apple blogger Jim Dalrymple claims there will be no iPad, iPhone or Mac hardware introduced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, which kicks off June 6 in San Francisco.

Apple's press release announcing the event doesn't give much hope for any hardware announcements.

"At this year's conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "If you are an iOS or Mac OS X software developer, this is the event that you do not want to miss."

Apple will likely give details on the next-gen Mac operating system, OS X Lion, and the next version of its mobile OS, iOS 5.

New cloud-based features will likely be included in iOS 5 (think online storage, or a "music locker" service). It may not be released until fall, according to a TechCrunch report. That means an iPhone 5 would probably release in the fall timeframe with the launch of iOS 5.

My contract just ended with my 3GS and I was hoping to hold out with this until the summer when the iPhone 5 was supposed to come out. With the news that it'll probably release in the Fall, I don't know if I should upgrade to the iPhone 4 right now or wait an extra 3-5 months than expected.
ohwell.gif
My 2-year-old 3GS is super busted -- cracked outer casing, scratched screen and the battery life is shortening.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]This is not an Android vs. iOS thread, I prefer iOS and that's final. I've used one of the newest Android phones (Galaxy S) and I just like the iPhone's OS better.[/color]

What do you guys think? I could also probably flip the iPhone 4 in the Fall to try and cut the price on a non-contract iPhone 5.

This info is probably in the Apple thread, but for reference:
(Wired) -- Apple has traditionally debuted new iPhones at its annual software developers conference, but this year's event in June will be 100 percent software news, according to a report.

Citing anonymous tipsters, well-sourced Apple blogger Jim Dalrymple claims there will be no iPad, iPhone or Mac hardware introduced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, which kicks off June 6 in San Francisco.

Apple's press release announcing the event doesn't give much hope for any hardware announcements.

"At this year's conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "If you are an iOS or Mac OS X software developer, this is the event that you do not want to miss."

Apple will likely give details on the next-gen Mac operating system, OS X Lion, and the next version of its mobile OS, iOS 5.

New cloud-based features will likely be included in iOS 5 (think online storage, or a "music locker" service). It may not be released until fall, according to a TechCrunch report. That means an iPhone 5 would probably release in the fall timeframe with the launch of iOS 5.

My contract just ended with my 3GS and I was hoping to hold out with this until the summer when the iPhone 5 was supposed to come out. With the news that it'll probably release in the Fall, I don't know if I should upgrade to the iPhone 4 right now or wait an extra 3-5 months than expected.
ohwell.gif
My 2-year-old 3GS is super busted -- cracked outer casing, scratched screen and the battery life is shortening.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]This is not an Android vs. iOS thread, I prefer iOS and that's final. I've used one of the newest Android phones (Galaxy S) and I just like the iPhone's OS better.[/color]

What do you guys think? I could also probably flip the iPhone 4 in the Fall to try and cut the price on a non-contract iPhone 5.

Get the 4.

No sense in waiting if its over 6 months away. And like you said... iphone resale value is fantastic.

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

It is just rumors. Apple will most likely release an iPhone over the summer because they want money. We hear these rumors every year that the iPhone may not come out, and eventually it does. 
Good point

Get the 4.

No sense in waiting if its over 6 months away. And like you said... iphone resale value is fantastic.

It is just rumors. Apple will most likely release an iPhone over the summer because they want money. We hear these rumors every year that the iPhone may not come out, and eventually it does. 
Good point

Originally Posted by poloBIMMER

how did your contact end when the 3gs hasnt even been out a full 2 years?
**#$, you're right. I have no idea. I just called AT&T to ask about data plans, and randomly asked when my upgrade eligibility date was, and they said I was already eligible.
laugh.gif

**#$, you're right. I have no idea. I just called AT&T to ask about data plans, and randomly asked when my upgrade eligibility date was, and they said I was already eligible.
laugh.gif

Word. Rumor this, rumor that. 

Word. Rumor this, rumor that. 

I don't know
ohwell.gif
, 'cause I've scanned some articles on Google saying that they're focusing on software, not hardware this summer. They're trying to promote iOS 5 and Lion 10.7, meaning the actual hardware that will debut with those OS's won't come out til a few months later, i.e. September-November. I've also read about a "Back to School" theme that they're trying to do. Of course this is all speculation, but if it's true that software will be the focus at the summer convention thing, then the iPhone 5 won't come out til the summer ends.

Again, I could be totally wrong. This is just what I'm understanding.

Edit:

Does anyone know if they did this last year? Saying they wouldn't but actually doing it? The dude with the info straight from an Apple dude's mouth said that they're focusing on software at the convention, not hardware like previous years... so that's fact. That would effect the release dates of the new hardware, right?

I don't know
ohwell.gif
, 'cause I've scanned some articles on Google saying that they're focusing on software, not hardware this summer. They're trying to promote iOS 5 and Lion 10.7, meaning the actual hardware that will debut with those OS's won't come out til a few months later, i.e. September-November. I've also read about a "Back to School" theme that they're trying to do. Of course this is all speculation, but if it's true that software will be the focus at the summer convention thing, then the iPhone 5 won't come out til the summer ends.

Again, I could be totally wrong. This is just what I'm understanding.

Edit:

Does anyone know if they did this last year? Saying they wouldn't but actually doing it? The dude with the info straight from an Apple dude's mouth said that they're focusing on software at the convention, not hardware like previous years... so that's fact. That would effect the release dates of the new hardware, right?

Originally Posted by So Slickening

laugh.gif
For alot of at&t subscribers (like me) we get a new upgrade every year. Some people get like 18 months upgrades but it varies.

and also its best to just wait it out. What is a couple months. iPhone usually comes out like end of June. Fall is like October only a few months.

edit: If they are going to announce iOS 5 in June it will be out by July. Thats how Apple works look at the iPad 2 it was announce March 2 it was released March 11. Apple was supposed to be already starting production on iPhone 5 already from some "sources" wait it out you can never tell with Apple.

laugh.gif
For alot of at&t subscribers (like me) we get a new upgrade every year. Some people get like 18 months upgrades but it varies.

and also its best to just wait it out. What is a couple months. iPhone usually comes out like end of June. Fall is like October only a few months.

edit: If they are going to announce iOS 5 in June it will be out by July. Thats how Apple works look at the iPad 2 it was announce March 2 it was released March 11. Apple was supposed to be already starting production on iPhone 5 already from some "sources" wait it out you can never tell with Apple.

laugh.gif
I'm not sure but I think it depends on how long you've been a member.  I've been AT&T for almost 10 years and I get an upgrade eligibility 6-12 months before my contract ends.  It's weird because I got my 3Gs on Nov. 2009 and I was eligible to update on Dec. 2010.  
pimp.gif

My 3Gs is on the same boat as OP's.  I need a new phone but I'm gonna wait it out the the iPhone 5. 

laugh.gif
I'm not sure but I think it depends on how long you've been a member.  I've been AT&T for almost 10 years and I get an upgrade eligibility 6-12 months before my contract ends.  It's weird because I got my 3Gs on Nov. 2009 and I was eligible to update on Dec. 2010.  
pimp.gif

My 3Gs is on the same boat as OP's.  I need a new phone but I'm gonna wait it out the the iPhone 5. 

After the fiasco with the iPhone 4 I can't imagine any real info is going to slip out ahead of time, especially more than 3 months early.  I can understand the idea behind pushing the 5 back to accommodate Verizon customers but it seems odd that they would break a product cycle to make early adopters feel better.  Im in the same boat with my 3gs and hope they don't wait.  If thats the case I'll probably wait it out and jump to Verizon when it's available.

After the fiasco with the iPhone 4 I can't imagine any real info is going to slip out ahead of time, especially more than 3 months early.  I can understand the idea behind pushing the 5 back to accommodate Verizon customers but it seems odd that they would break a product cycle to make early adopters feel better.  Im in the same boat with my 3gs and hope they don't wait.  If thats the case I'll probably wait it out and jump to Verizon when it's available.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

It might, but while my mom (I'm only 17) has been on AT&T since 04, my cousin and I have only been only for 17 months. She upgraded to the 3GS (her first smartphone 
laugh.gif
) last Thursday, and my cousin and I are somehow eligible for a full upgrade next month (April 8th), so it might just be based on the main line on the contract. 
I say that you just nurture that 3GS as much as possible until it flat out breaks on you because upgrading to the iPhone 4 when the 5 might be out within the next 3-4 months would be flat out idiotic. In the worst case, why not just see if you can find any iPhones on craigslist/ebay for cheap that are in better condition that your 3GS to hold you over.

Atrix 4G, here I come by the way. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

It might, but while my mom (I'm only 17) has been on AT&T since 04, my cousin and I have only been only for 17 months. She upgraded to the 3GS (her first smartphone 
laugh.gif
) last Thursday, and my cousin and I are somehow eligible for a full upgrade next month (April 8th), so it might just be based on the main line on the contract. 
I say that you just nurture that 3GS as much as possible until it flat out breaks on you because upgrading to the iPhone 4 when the 5 might be out within the next 3-4 months would be flat out idiotic. In the worst case, why not just see if you can find any iPhones on craigslist/ebay for cheap that are in better condition that your 3GS to hold you over.

Atrix 4G, here I come by the way. 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom