At What Point Did You Fav Rapper Become Your Fav Rapper?

Just wondering if anyone else can remember when their favorite rapper became their favorite rapper. For me, it was when I came back from overseas towards the end of the summer in 96 and I saw this video.  I was 11 when I heard this, but I thought the song and video was so ill, and I've been rocking with with dude ever since.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.youtube.com/wa...p;playnext=1&index=5[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don't know how to embed, somebody hook it up please.[/font]

Don't really have a FAVORITE(maybe Nas because he's been the most consistent in my life) but at one point Hov was but last few years erased that...He still aight though.  I was a DMX stan in the early 2000s, but we see how that turned out

Man I was a DMX stan too. I used to spend endless hours arguing with friends who's better him or Jay.( Around 98' I think that was a good argument.)

And I was fan once I seen the" get at me dog" video.

I don't really have a Fav rapper now tho.
ohwell.gif

it was reasonable doubt and i heard can't kmock ths hustle, "my pop knew exactly what he did when he made me, try to get a nut and he got a nut and what, straight bananas...." from there i went on to just listen to all his albums up to the kindom come, that killed it for me though, shoulda jus stayed retire jus like mj shoulda, he went out on the perfect note with the black album.

Originally Posted by JAYFIEND

Man I was a DMX stan too. I used to spend endless hours arguing with friends who's better him or Jay.( Around 98' I think that was a good argument.)

ohwell.gif
Yeah it was Stop being greedy....it took like a solid month to notice it was him doing both voices
laugh.gif
eek.gif
. Had me tripping.

Then the 1st and second album was crazy. 

3rd and 4th was meh. Thats when I stopped.

Originally Posted by JAYFIEND

ohwell.gif
totally agree.
Get at me dog was the song that did it for me too.  No one has or will ever do it like X.  So raw and so passionate.  Partly led to his downfall. 
I had flesh of my flesh on repeat all day long in my portable cd player when it came out.  I was a huge dmx fan.  I still buy his albums just because even though everything after and then there was X....was just terrible.

Don't have a fav rapper of all time...but right now its prob Lupe.

always listened to 'kast but i think atliens made them my favorite and tlb pretty much sealed the deal
be easy was the song that did it for me wit t.i.

10 yrs old. 4th grade.

Remember VIVIDLY beasting for cassette tapes to record this off my boombox on Hot 97. 

I used to strictly listen to rappers like T.I., Jeezy, etc. etc. and some Hov but really just his singles. Once I listened to Reasonable Doubt front to back it was a wrap.

I remember exactly when it happened... I was going in the 5th grade sitting in my cousins room all 4 of us were playing Coach K on the sega and Illmatic was going in the background, I beat my cousin for the first time and as he was giving up the controller I heard "Represent REPRESENT!" It was like a sign to me so I just started talking crazy trash. Everytime I won I was sing the chorus to Life's A !@+*+
laugh.gif

We played that tape all day that day and I knew damn near all of the words after 2 days... Damn Good Times.
laugh.gif

When I realized I know more of his (Nas) songs, lyrics, etc more then any other artist. Also when I realized I played him more then any other artist. This was a couple years ago...

Jay-Z: Blueprint 2.

I forgot which Fahrenheit Series for Lupe though.

Nas: Instantly.

i knew im a nas fan when i saw the video for hate me now... then i would read everywhere that "i am..." is garbage and nothing will ever compare to "illmatic"... so i downloaded the album and thats when i knew that nas is the g.o.a.t... bought every nas album that was released here in the p.i. and asked a friend to buy me the illmatic from the u.s...

i was also a fan of dmx back in the early 2000's... i knew i was a fan when i heard "how's it goin down"... im havin drama wit a girl and that joint is somehow like narrating my own story... then it's dark and hell is hot dropped here and i would play the entire album without skipping a track for days... would buy all his album til the great depression...

the first time I listened to Illmatic it was over
pimp.gif
. I was younger and I remember not even being able to figure out where his line breaks were, goin wild
pimp.gif

When I first heard Me Against The World, Pac instantly became my favorite rapper. I was only eleven when it dropped, but could feel and understand his every word. Though I didn't live in the projects, I was practically raised by them. I wasn't actually going through the things Pac spoke about(except for losing some friends and others I knew to murder), but I knew a lot who were. No other artist has been able to touch all my emotions, and that's because he rapped with all his soul and heart into it.

when i first listened to illmatic like 5 years ago. i listened to new york state of mind like 100 times before i could listen to rest of album. i just couldtn keep going i had to listen to it over and over

when pastor did vice versa..
when killer mike killed "shoot em up"
since day 1 with luda!

Nas when I heard Illmatic; NYSOM.

Biggie when I heard RTD; Juicy.

Sha Stimuli when I heard March On Washington; Coulda Been Me.

2Pac when I heard MATW; whole damn thing.

When NaS dropped If I Ruled The World and Street Dreams in 1996 I was 12 and was just getting into rap. I got my hands on Illmatic wanting to hear more of this dude...and the rest is pretty much history.

I was also given a promotional copy of Ready To Die around the same time (94-96) and that was without a doubt love at first listen. I listened to that almost every day for a long $!% time.

those are my 2

Back
Top Bottom