Athletic Propulsion Labs - paging BP

What happened with Participant #9? Dramatic loss of vertical... It would be cool to see an exploded / dissected view to see what the technology is all about.

16jhrhu.jpg

i'm not sure that dudes with low boost game, bad knees, injuries etc. should be trying to jump higher

i'm guessing weak joints, muscles or whatever have to deal with the extra force used to generate that extra vert

what goes up must come down

Originally Posted by Billy Hoyle

from reading slam earlier today says you get like 3 inches

which isnt that great IMO

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?

A 3 inch INSTANT improvement in your jumping isn't  impressive to you!?!?!?!????!?!? What's your vertical, 55"?

Sheesh. The state of the modern USA consumer is ridiculous:

"Hey I have some shoes that will increase your jumping ability instantly by 3 inches!"
"Nah bro that's nothing to me."
"But you can jump a full 3 inches higher. That's the difference between grabbing rim and dunking, the difference between a block shot or a game winner in your face, the difference between enough clearance to shoot your jumper and your shot getting tipped! That's incredible!"
"Nah bro like it's too much money. I already dropped $300 on anything with a J logo or the word foam in it. See I keep those in a box in my closet and I'm just gonna resell them in 2 years"
"But these will change your game!"
"I mostly care about how I look to other guy shoe collectors. I don't care about performance."

Seriously. 3 inches is amazing. Think about how many more shots you can block with that. Think about how much better your J will be with more lift under it. Think about rebounding with that much more space between you and the floor.... acting like this isn't impressive... hoyle you might as well rename yourself the King of Haters

(Oh and that reminds me - next time I wear a bball shoe, I'm gonna ask the forensic expert team on NT how the traction is BASED ON A PICTURE.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. I can't even make fun of that, it's too stupid: if you think you can tell how the traction works based on some publicity shots - that aren't even HD or anything - then you're out of your mind with crazy.)

Good work BP and APL. These shoes are gorgeous, and the tech sounds incredible. I can't wait to try them

The three-inch increase is an outlier, much like the three-inch decrease.

It looks like the vast majority of the participants in the study experienced a vertical leap increase of around an inch, give or take a centimeter.

Not worth $300 to me, but still a cool idea, though. Good luck with the product.

I'm going to wait for the next pair that is $400 and increases your vertical by 4".

BTW these shoes look interesting. There may be a pair in my future.

courtesy of Counter Kicks, part 1 of 2. Should answer some of the questions you might have had.
[h2]http://www.counterkicks.com/2010/03...thletic-propulsion-labs-founders-part-1-of-2/http://www.counterkicks.com/2010/03...thletic-propulsion-labs-founders-part-1-of-2/[/h2]
[h2]http://www.counterkicks.com/2010/03...thletic-propulsion-labs-founders-part-1-of-2/http://www.counterkicks.com/2010/03...thletic-propulsion-labs-founders-part-1-of-2/CounterKicks Interviews: Adam & Ryan Goldston – Athletic Propulsion Labs Founders (Part 1 of 2)[/h2]
counterkicks-interviews-adam-and-ryan-goldston-athletic-propulsion-labs-founders-main.jpg

Athletic Propulsion Labs
is the newest entrant to the athletic footwear industry and they come with a special pitch: The first performance basketball shoe designed to instantly increase a player’s vertical leap. Led by 23-year-old twin brothers Adam and Ryan Goldston and backed by decades worth of sneaker industry insiders, the pair have set out to establish Athletic Propulsion Labs as the ultra high-end performance wing of the footwear world. Launching with the $300 priced APL Concept 1 shoe exclusively sold at http://APLbasketball.com, the Goldston’s are aiming high and want to take your feet along for the ride. Continue reading for Part 1 of 2 in our in-depth interview with Adam and Ryan Goldston, Athletic Propulsion Labs Founders…

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

The three-inch increase is an outlier, much like the three-inch decrease.
Yeah, everyone keeps throwing it around like a guarantee, but it seems like most people are actually experiencing and inch or so. And honestly, that may be slight enough that you can attribute it to people jumping higher because they are told that they will jump higher with the shoes. 
It's obvious that a lot of hard work went into these, and I sincerely hope that it pays off, but I think based on the graph that the brand itself provided, a 3 inch increase is unlikely and extraordinary. 

If nothing else I do like the look. Much respect on living the dream though that is freakin awesome, I wish I had the guts to go after a gutsy career goal (sorry just thinking aloud). Maybe I do I just haven't yet

Grey article on counterkicks really gave an understanding and good background to the shoe and company

I'm not trying to be a hater but if I read the article correctly they said they have been working on this concept for 2 years. I just find it hard to believe that this upstart company has done in 2 years what multi-billion dollar shoe companies have been trying to do for decades, which is to create a shoe that instantly increases your vertical leap. Something about that doesn't add up to me. I don't think a 1-3" increase is worth $300, where I can workout and get a 1-3" increase that would show in any shoe I wear or even barefoot for that matter. But instant gratification is what alot of people fall prey to.

Originally Posted by reggie2k8

I'm not trying to be a hater but if I read the article correctly they said they have been working on this concept for 2 years. I just find it hard to believe that this upstart company has done in 2 years what multi-billion dollar shoe companies have been trying to do for decades, which is to create a shoe that instantly increases your vertical leap. Something about that doesn't add up to me. I don't think a 1-3" increase is worth $300, where I can workout and get a 1-3" increase that would show in any shoe I wear or even barefoot for that matter. But instant gratification is what alot of people fall prey to.

ok well what if you work out for those 1-3 inches....

then you get an additional 1-3 inches with the shoes!
pimp.gif

im sorry but after reading and what not and basically seeing people are barley getting an inch out of these. this company is filing for bankruptcy before 2011
laugh.gif

StrongMind3 wrote:
reggie2k8 wrote:

ok well what if you work out for those 1-3 inches....

then you get an additional 1-3 inches with the shoes!
pimp.gif

True. But it looks like most of the test participants were in the 1" range rather than the best case scenario of 3-4" inches. Which again $300 for a 1" increase is not worth it. But jumping has never been an issue for me. Even though I lost about 4-5" on my vertical since HS I still get up around 33-35" inches. Professor K from kicksology needs to come out of retirement and reviews these because that is what I am waiting for.

Originally Posted by reggie2k8

think about this for a second. Nike likely could have created that ideal performance shoe long ago. but what good is that if you have nothing else to look forward to year after year. They "innovate" and "progress" and throw out the gimmicks on a need be basis. Heck, many would argue that Nike's peak performance came in 2000-2003. Since then nothing but a plateau effect. It happens. thats when Marketing comes into play and we buy old technology for new prices.

Up start companies on the other hand have a different setup all together. I wouldnt be shocked if these were ten or fifteen times better than whats currently out there

I'm not trying to be a hater but if I read the article correctly theysaid they have been working on this concept for 2 years. I just find ithard to believe that this upstart company has done in 2 years whatmulti-billion dollar shoe companies have been trying to do for decades,which is to create a shoe that instantly increases your vertical leap.
There are examples all throughout business history that show this happens with ideas and products.  Plus, these guys do have experience with the footwear industry itself, so it isn't like someone from accounting just started looking at shoes and tried this.  Also, they have been working on this concept exclusively, unlike a Nike or Rbk that have development teams looking at so many different ideas, concepts, divisions, etc.  This was a very focused concept which can bring great results.  Not saying that this necessarily works but it is possible for them to have a great idea.  I just hope they have a chance to compete, the footwear industry isn't exactly a perfectly competitive market.  Again, I'm rooting for them and at least interested in the concept.  I like the idea of building a "luxury brand" shoe with all the top materials, etc.  I think this concept could go into other sectors besides basketball.  If your shelling out $200 for an 'ok quality' retro shoe, then I think there could be a market for someone to buy a top end shoe for the same price.  Either way, competition is good

Originally Posted by dmxfury

I'm not trying to be a hater but if I read the article correctly theysaid they have been working on this concept for 2 years. I just find ithard to believe that this upstart company has done in 2 years whatmulti-billion dollar shoe companies have been trying to do for decades,which is to create a shoe that instantly increases your vertical leap.
There are examples all throughout business history that show this happens with ideas and products.  Plus, these guys do have experience with the footwear industry itself, so it isn't like someone from accounting just started looking at shoes and tried this.  Also, they have been working on this concept exclusively, unlike a Nike or Rbk that have development teams looking at so many different ideas, concepts, divisions, etc.  This was a very focused concept which can bring great results.  Not saying that this necessarily works but it is possible for them to have a great idea.  I just hope they have a chance to compete, the footwear industry isn't exactly a perfectly competitive market.  Again, I'm rooting for them and at least interested in the concept.  I like the idea of building a "luxury brand" shoe with all the top materials, etc.  I think this concept could go into other sectors besides basketball.  If your shelling out $200 for an 'ok quality' retro shoe, then I think there could be a market for someone to buy a top end shoe for the same price.  Either way, competition is good

Competition is good, but I don't really see how this shoe could compete. You can call it "hate" or "constructive criticism", but I think their own evidence points to a 1" increase, we know NOTHING of comfort levels, ankle protection, traction, etc., and the price is $100 more than any thing else on the market. The Kobe V is generally regarded as a near-perfect basketball shoe and retails for $130. These guys are selling a shoe that MIGHT increase your vertical by an inch for $300. That's not competing to me, that's a bad business plan. 

Kind of funny because the family has strong ties to L.A. Gear - so its sort of a been there done that situation.

b8mgb5.png

2lawxue.png

18i448.png

From the article:  "There was actually an article published in the Wall St. Journal that compared how high people were jumping to college scholarships they got. And there’s two different thresholds in which there was a 1.5 to 2 inch difference with I think 15 percent more people that could jump the two inches higher in both of the thresholds having the higher likelihood of receiving a college basketball scholarship. And 2 inches is a huge difference when it comes to playing basketball. If you can get 2 inches from spending $300 on a pair of basketball shoes that can increase your chances of getting a college scholarship that much higher, according to this study, you could potentially be getting a way greater benefit and reward from spending this $300 that you couldn’t get in other areas."
What happens to these people when they do go to college and are forced to wear their team branded shoes?

Back
Top Bottom