ATTN: alphaproject; JORDAN 1 DESIGN DEVELOPMENT QUERY

it is well noted that many shoe designs are taken from cars (sleek lines, ventilation, etc.)

however sneaker designs are quite different from year to year whereas automobiles build on a design.

for example, the original mustang had many body changes however it kept the basic body design. Even today, when the "new" mustang was released in 93 or 94, you could tell its roots back to the original.

my challenge to you alpha, is to take the original air jordan 1, and make a 2002/2003 air jordan 1 based on car evolution (improvements on the same design).

im anxious to see what magic your pens weave.

in the sneaker game, hindsight is 20/20 and we're all millionaires.
thanks for your continued support of niketalk.
[font=klinkomite,Staccato222 BT]contact krvanch[/font]

that is a great idea kvranch.....i was thinkin about doin this, only i had in mind the Air Force 1's....which is nearly the same

i might try somethin like this, but ALPHA is the man, and i would love to see his design, but i know he is a busy man.....if he doesn't have time to pump out a design.....u might have to settle for a ShuGuru design...lol
aim:ShuGuru314wanted: Jordan XIII white/navy/flint size 12wanted: Jordan IV white/chrome

brilliant idea.

i look forward to see what alpha comes up with.

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=336699]Shizzzle5 Sneaker & Jersey Store - www.shizzzle5.com[/color][/font]

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=336699]The #1 Spot For The Latest NIKE, JORDAN, & Authentic Hook-Ups![/color][/font]

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=whitesize=1]Member of NIKETALK since December 1, 2000. Previous names : ShockwaveLp & Mique23[/color][/font]

Interesting topic.

The I's and II's were designed at a time of rapid change in sneaker technology. As a result there is a significant difference between the products, much like the difference between a model-T Ford and 1940's car. Remember that there were almost two years between the designs as Michael wore the I's in both his rookie and second season.

Tinker Hatfield started on the Jordan line with the III's and again there was a significant technological advance that he helped develop in the midsole area with improved foam material and the visible air unit.

After the III's the technology improved at a much slower rate with the only significant advances between the III's and XVI's really being the dynamic fit/huarache system and the carbon fibre shank plate. Zoom air came along the way but was less significant I would argue.

As far as the design forms go there is quite a clear evolution of the type you are talking about from Hatfield's Air Jordan III through to his Air Jordan VIII design. The VIII's were beginning to depart significantly from this line but IX-XII saw a clear break and movement down another path. An overall theme of this path was clear - clean uppers with a horizontal break along them featuring a smoother lower half and lines on the upper half around the laces. This continued though all four shoes.

It is harder to classify the designs after that into an evolution of an aesthetic. This may be because of a change in design philosophy. It is fairly well known that Tinker's design method changed very much to an "Insiration method' where by each shoe was inspired by another object:

XII's - Ladies high heel boot and Japanese rising sun flag.
XIII - Panthers paw.
XIV's - MJ's Ferrari.
XV's - X-15 experimental plane.

The XII belonged both to the evolutionary path and the inspiration group. This inspiration method of design was obviously more about the aesthetic form of the designs, about the look, more than the actual function of them. Perfomance steadily improved through out both phases (excpet perhaps for the XV's) as improvements continued in materials. There was a break however in the aesthetic evolution from one shoe to the next. Sure the colours and features here and there were inspired by previous shoes but much more so then before each shoe varied greatly from the previous one.

There are obviously many significant differences from one shoe to another. Taking the original idea of this post though I thought I'd write a summary of some of the points of similarity between Tinker Hatfields designs from the III's through the VIII's.

III-IV
- The heel piece with the Nike Air logo is very similar.
- The rear half of the midsole is very similar.
- The piece of the upper that wraps around the front of the toe box.
- The five lace holes at the front of the III's and the two holes at the top become the matching pieces on the bottom and top of the IV's with the choice of width.
- The Jumpman on the similar styled tongue.
- Simliar outsole design with a midfoot section featuring Nike and forefoot section in the centre breaking up the large area.

IV - V
- The piece of the upper that wraps around the front of the toe box.
- The mesh sides and tongue.
- The plastic lace holes with the choice of width.
- The Jumpman on the tongue.
- The overall outsole design - a piece around the front of the toes, a piece around the back of the heel, a mid feature with Nike on it and something in the middle of the forefoot to break up the large area.
- The outrigger on the side of the VI's is the same shape as the 'flame' on the side of the V's.
- Similar piece wrapping around the back of the midsole at the top harking back even to the III's.

V-VI
- Clear rubber outsole with very similar outriggers in teh forefoot.
- The 'flame' above the forefoot outrigger of the V's matches the thin coloured section above the outrigger on the VI's.
- The mesh on the side and tongue of the V's matches the perferated sides and tongue on the VI's.
- The padded ankle area on both.
- Generally similar lines and angles around the laces, angling backwards for a sleek but dynamic look.
- Embroidered Nike Air logo on the heel.
- Remove the piece from around the toe box on the V's and you would have a very similar look to the front.

VI-VII
- Over all 'holes' theme with perforated upper and circular traction pattern.
- Angular outsole design.
- Clean, one piece toe box.
- Overall design of a two layer upper featuring panels formed by overlays along key lines that strengthen in the areas most required.
- Twin peaks forefoot outrigger with lines along the top, the outsole material wrapping up the side even as the V's had. Large rear outrigger designed in a similar fashion.
- Rear pull tab.
- Dynamic fit system with evolution to full bootie in the VII's.
- Triangular protrusion of the front of the tongue over the top of the toe box.

VII-VIII
- Overall design of a two layer upper featuring panels formed by overlays along key lines that strengthen in the areas most required.
- Clean, one piece toe box harking back even to the VI's.
- Triangular protrusion of the front of the tongue over the top of the toe box.
Elijah
Sydney, Australia.
http://airjordan.topcities.com/

elijah droppin' some serious knowledge.

excellent summary.

you get an A+

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=336699]Shizzzle5 Sneaker & Jersey Store - www.shizzzle5.com[/color][/font]

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=336699]The #1 Spot For The Latest NIKE, JORDAN, & Authentic Hook-Ups![/color][/font]

[font=Courier New,Courier,monospace][color=whitesize=1]Member of NIKETALK since December 1, 2000. Previous names : ShockwaveLp & Mique23[/color][/font]

only a sec... you must be good :wink:
wink.gif

All Shoes Crease! Size 13 Chrome Dada Cdubbz for sale, contact me at ShoeFreak15@aol.com

here is a lil something, keep in mind I did this in an hour, after reading this post earlier today, and is just an initial thought, although I have contemplated this concept before... Basically, all the unnecessary pieces and parts have been removed, and much of the heavier midsole outsole components have been removed and replaced with composite material, there is no visible stitching inside or out to reduce drag and to clean up the look, materials would be lightweight and almost have a teflon coated feel to them, with an anti bacterial sweat wicking inner lining. The ankle collar is actually a support wrap that extends from the ankle around the heel of the foot, under the sockliner, but above the air-sole unit, thus making it a functional part. As you can see, although the drawing of it is bad, an old school air sole is visible through the translucent rubber on the lateral and medial sides, as well as the bottom, and the composite springboard is also visible from both sides, and finishes wrapping up the heel, a concept I have been doin LONG before the 18. So I tried to throw in a few of the things that made past Jordans great, (dynamic fit, heel loop, translucent rubber, composite shank, clean toe, etc...) but tried to stay true to the original shape, much like the Porsche design philosophy. Each part of the shoe has a reason for being, which also becomes a part of the design, if it has no function, it has been removed or solved in a different manner. An example would be the supportive forefoot overlay on the original, it has been moved to the inside of the outer shell for closer proximity to the foot and a cleaner construction... Anyway, I had a little time and thought it would be fun...

newjordanone.jpg

from now until infinity let icons be by-gones...

very nice job
[table][tr][td][h4]"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life----and that is why I succeed"- Michael Jordan[/h4][/td][/tr][/table]

:wow:
eek.gif

All I can say is WOW!

[size=-1]orindahoops - representin'the old dudes![/size]
[table][tr][td]
[size=-2]orindahoops.com[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]Orinda's [/size]
[size=-2]Messageboard[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]E-MailOrinda[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]Give respect.  Getrespect.[/size]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[size=-2]Orinda'sEbay Auctions[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]NTLegit List #0018[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]keeping that funk alive,[/size]
[size=-2]'cus I was there in '75.[/size]
[/td][td]
[size=-2]Signthe XI Low iD petition[/size]
[/td][/tr][/table]​

oh my god. oh my god.
alpha youve done it again!
this is beautiful.

in the sneaker game, hindsight is 20/20 and we're all millionaires.
thanks for your continued support of niketalk.
[font=klinkomite,Staccato222 BT]contact krvanch[/font]

reason #65154 why AP is the man....
----------------------------------
RIP Chick Hearn
I hate smarks.
Don't question the methods; accept the results.
"You're only as good as your critics say you aren't." - Anonymous

you never cease to amaze me, AP. The new wings logo is just sick.
"If convicted on all counts, Iverson faces the maximum of 65 years in jail...........or 12 seasons with the Grizzlies."

thanks playaz... elijah, big up on your insights, it's nice to see someone else who appreciates the jordan design evolution...

ooooo

Alpha,

That is sick. Your work truly is incredible. Thanks for sharing another one of your creations with us. I think that you did an excellent job of updating the Jordan I while staying true to the original... much like the row of evolving Porsches you have in your comparison shot. And you did that in an hour? Give me a break. Nike SERIOUSLY needs to hire you, man.

Again, excellent work.

you know, I was just thinking that something like this should be done for the next NT design contest. Take an old school shoe and update it. Make it the same shoe for everyone to redesign so that the playing field is pretty much even. I'd participate.
----------------------------------
RIP Chick Hearn
I hate smarks.
Don't question the methods; accept the results.
"You're only as good as your critics say you aren't." - Anonymous

I've been on Niketalk 2 years and have seen every Alphaproject sketch but for some reason this is the best one ever. Not the Shox with the replacable minishox, not the futuristic kobes, but for some reason this is just special. Thank you alpha for giving me new wallpaper lol
[h3]ALL HAIL THE CHUTNEYS[/h3]

wow, that's a bold statement Element, preciate that... Jay, you would eat em up homes...

ooooo

GOOD GOD! Only one hour?!?!! Great job man!

Also those Fila's in your personal pic gonna be in production?
three28eighty6

Back
Top Bottom