Ayo to the prison system

Originally Posted by Piff or Die

Some states allow prisoners to be paid small wages (which the state or feds regulate) they build everything from furniture to electronics.   
I'm not keen on the laws of various states, but is it the (standard) law that you lose the right to minimum wage when you're incarcerated?  Don't they still have to pay taxes on the wages they earn? If so, they are payed lower than minimum wage, yet taxed at the same rate for services they no longer have the right to? They are also taking jobs away from skilled workers who didn't break the law. Sounds fair.
eyes.gif

The thing is though its not about the money for the inmates, its about having a job. Something to keep them busy. I walk through the prisons and the people in the kitchen are quite happy because they get special privaliges and a better feeling of self worth if they are constanly doing something
How about rehabilitaing them? Especially the ones locked up for drug related issues not involving the distribution of illegal narcotics. Having a job is great, but if they can't overcome what put them in prison in the first place, then chances are they'll end up right back in. I think they should spend more time in counseling than making cheap goods for the "free market."

Its capitalism and knocking that is just plain dumb.
Please explain this system you speak of. This is the opposite of fair competition. How can another company, that has to pay its employees at least minimum wage, compete against a corporation that is employing people at a percentage of that rate? Add to that they cut the costs of having goods produced overseas (shipping) in sweat shops, by just having them produced in local sweat shops.

Disgusting.
sick.gif

I agree some laws are outdated but like i said we have a majority of non us citizens that do pose a threat to this country. The news doesnt report on it, but we are in a Border War with Mexico and the most powerful cartels in the world.
Why are our tax dollars paying to house criminals who aren't citizens? Send them back to Mexico, if they are here illegally and are caught breaking the law.

Our prisons are brand new and have flatscreens in all the cells. They dont have it as bad as you think.
laugh.gif

Great! Now they can catch up on their shows while trying not to be raped or assaulted! Or better yet, Bubba can watch Judge Mathis while slamming his cellmate's back out!

smh.gif
I know this is beyond your control, but your way of thinking is pretty silly.

btw sending a H junkie to jail for being a H junkie is just ******ed when it would cost less to send him to rehab, and to get his (potential) life together

Originally Posted by WErunSF

i recently read an article that stated schools are becoming less like schools, and more like juvenile halls. Like kids finishing high school have a better chance of staying out of jail. So they proposed a jail for kids that drop out of high school. what are we coming to....

"The Annihilating Public Policies of the Prison-Industrial Complex; or, Crime, Violence, and Punishment in an Age of Neoliberalism" by Stephen John Hartnett

Seriously? Link to the article

I work at a prison (no Rick Ross). The main problem I see is the sentencing laws. Dudes who get caught with a few pounds of green don't need to spend 10 years in prison, while sex offenders get 5 year split sentences. The whole court system is really to blame and until that gets fixed, nothing will change. But the justice system is so corrupted by money and racism that I don't see that changing anytime soon.

And yeah, the "War on Drugs" reaaaally has screwed us over as a country. Thanks Reagan.

California has not built a prison in 20 years

indifferent.gif

north kern state prison opened in 1993
calipatria state prison opened in 1992
centinela state prison opened in 1993
pleasant valley state prison opened in 1994
ironwood state prison opened in 1994
salinas valley state prison opened in 1996

even pelican bay opened in 1989

i don't even feel like looking anymore

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

prisons are practically slave labor centers now.
Truly is. It would be better if these prisoners were doing something better while in prison

California has more prisons than state universities and spends 45% more on incarceration than education, last I checked.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

I work at a prison (no Rick Ross). The main problem I see is the sentencing laws. Dudes who get caught with a few pounds of green don't need to spend 10 years in prison, while sex offenders get 5 year split sentences. The whole court system is really to blame and until that gets fixed, nothing will change. But the justice system is so corrupted by money and racism that I don't see that changing anytime soon.

And yeah, the "War on Drugs" reaaaally has screwed us over as a country. Thanks Reagan.
1a415641b6e9deac6cec9676f7001017c5dbe17.gif

people are so blind... The Bad guys got so smart... they make themselves look like good guys and work their way into power, with evil intentions. does JRose fit in that category?

1) Your nike's are being made in sweatshops. Nike does not own sweatshops, they outsource them. Loophole for Nike to not pay higher wages. The prisoners do not get taxed on the very small wages they make. No prisoner is FORCED to make money in prison. All prisoners choose to participate. No work is forced on any prisoner.
2) We have many programs set in place such a GED program, Truck driving workshops (onsite), prisoners training police dogs for 6 months which brings tons of happiness in a prisoners stay as some of you know the love animals can bring.
3) Capitalism- We own our prisons so we use our own money to invest in this business. We pay to train CO's. The prisoners cannot run the prison: hence prison guards. Staffing alone is 65% of a prisons cost, which is embedded in the per diem. Sidenote: most of the time our company does not choose the wages of the employees (guards,Co's) It is done by a process called wage determination. For example, the lovely state of California has a CO making close to 100k a year starting salary because of the incredible power of the Union force out in LA LA land.
4) Illegal aliens, I agree with you that it is a waste of money to pay for someone that is not from this country to be housed and fed. 360 look at the problem stems back to the central issue, We are at war with over a dozen heavily armed and well funded cartels that run the country of Mexico so much to the point they use the Govt's OWN planes to ship in and out drugs. If you live in Southern parts of Texas like Laredo and Eagle Pass you would see dead bodies on a daily basis. The cartels dont play and until there is a real BORDER Control we must continue to operate with the notion that we need to tag and ID everyone that comes across and if they come back they go to a maximum security prison and no more tvs/ air conditioning.
5) I understand you thinking process but the prison business is 100% political and most of your state rep's are crooked, The things ive seen Gov's do would have them on Fox News is 2 secs. I'm ready to snitch on Florida Gov. myself because his BF just got accused of stealing 1.6 billion. Guess who funded his campaign and somehow got him his 3 million dollar condo in miami on Fisher Island. If you have never made over 100k a year how do you afford such lavish living.
6) Private Prisons are safer, cheaper, and solve budget problems for many states. We have saved dozens of cities throughout the US by bringing in hundreds of jobs and outsourcing our building to local builders. Were not green peace but compared to the other private prison operators we adhere to the rules and we go above and beyond that to make prisoners happy bc the happier a prisoner is, the less likeliness they might WILD Out as the LOX said. I appreciate you rebuttals because they sounded like you wanted to know more than just vent.

i work for a private prison company and we have over 100,000 inmates. 85% are non us citizens. California has not built a prison in 20 years and has over 180,000 prisoners, crazy
Some states allow prisoners to be paid small wages (which the state or feds regulate) they build everything from furniture to electronics. The thing is though its not about the money for the inmates, its about having a job. Something to keep them busy. I walk through the prisons and the people in the kitchen are quite happy because they get special privaliges and a better feeling of self worth if they are constanly doing something. Prisons for profit is the mantra that echos throughout the industry but thats because CCA aka CXW and Cornell aka CRN NYSE make US look so bad.
Bottom line: Private Prisons can be built in 14-18 months for much cheaper than any Gov't/State/or Federal Agency can do. Our per diems (daily amount of money the state pays to have us hold a prisoner) are much lower. Its capitalism and knocking that is just plain dumb. BTW California spend 10% of its budget on holding prisoners. I agree some laws are outdated but like i said we have a majority of non us citizens that do pose a threat to this country. The news doesnt report on it, but we are in a Border War with Mexico and the most powerful cartels in the world. Bloods and crips dont even rank in the top ten anymore. Our prisons are brand new and have flatscreens in all the cells. They dont have it as bad as you think.

how much they pay you to type this?
laugh.gif

They should really stop putting non-violent drug offenders in prison for so long and start putting sick sexual predators and pedophiles in prison for terms that have minimum sentences that exceed 20 years.

They pay me $0 dollars to type on a sneaker blog, but I love stock options and ferraris. FIND UR OWN HUSTLE IF YOU MIND ONLY ALLOWS U 2 HATE 100

They pay me $0 dollars to type on a sneaker blog, but I love stock options and ferraris. FIND UR OWN HUSTLE IF YOU MIND ONLY ALLOWS U 2 HATE 100

i don't understand

to minimize the prison population i think

if u kill some1, rape, molest, u should get offed. and not on death row but like ur sentenced then week later ur dead.
this will make less crime too.

and y does it matter if jail is like "slave labor" or watever they're criminals they don't deserve no 5 star treatment.

Originally Posted by beezylocks

if u kill some1, rape, molest, u should get offed. and not on death row but like ur sentenced then week later ur dead.

and y does it matter if jail is like "slave labor" or watever they're criminals they don't deserve no 5 star treatment.

True. Free food +housing
eyes.gif

ooo and illegal immigrants should be deported not kept in our system, they shouldn't even get a trail imo

I don't know where you're from, but in California, with the three strikes law, you could have two felonies (let's say from when you were younger, dumb and reckless) and get a misdemeanor offense (when you've matured) and STILL do 25 to life.

So you think everyone deserves the same punishment for three crimes no matter the severity?

How about those who have only been locked up for getting caught with their personal stash of drugs? Or for pissing in public?

No need to respond. I can already guess your answer.

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

i was told recently that in the past 20 year or so they've only built like 3-5 universities in cali and they've built over 10 prisons. i'll try to find the stats on that.
More like...they built one new university (UC Merced) and over 20 new prisons.

There are a lot of reasons why the prisons system is so overcrowded. Indeterminate and harsher sentencing, domestic violence (creating future criminals in our youth), racial disparity, etc.

It's a huge mess. It's even more sad when you think about how many prison inmates are mentally ill. Or how many lives OUTSIDE the prison system are affected (think about how many families and children live with a parent behind bars).

Yea even though OZ was a show it was very informative.

Yo that Childrens cradle to prison pipeline is sicking. Im going to read up more about it before i go to bed. When i read "mytmouse" post i was going crazy. Im going to start spreading that information around.

this is dumb.
You know how many people are accused of things then years later from new evidence are found innocent.

smh.gif

I was in the joint for 18months I didnt do nothin but sit my cell and eat ramen noodles & junk food, watch TV for 16+ hours a day, and argue with my celly over random stuff like sports, music, women (this N swore Ashanti was better than Bey
eyes.gif
). I gained like 20 pounds
smh.gif
I cant even walk 3 blocks without losing my breath and my legs gettin tired
smh.gif
laugh.gif
Wasnt no way them people was gonna work me like a slave for 60cents a hour, but some Ns been gone for so long or dont have no people in the world so they gotta eat ya know?

Back
Top Bottom