Ayo to the prison system

Might just be me... but i feel that the prison system is getting more and more crowded. Like we put drug dealers in san quinn when they are just replaced by younger kids. Whats gonna happen when we put those kids in jail and theres no room. Do we have to cut the school budget to build prisons? Are we doing any kind of damage to the crime world? Or better yet... does the Cops and government need the crime in a city to keep their jobs? We build more and more jails every year and they are costing millions. The more we focus on the prison system and who to put away next, then the more well feel the ignorance of america grow imo. 

The gov doesnt build prisons anymore, private security companies like Wackenhut do.

p.s the only "ayo" goes out to the yayo.

Yeah, prisons are being built by private firms. If your beef is with the overcrowding, then you can blame it on the ineffective "War on Drugs" or even the institutionalized racism.

WORD!? just another example of corporate america. My beef is more than just the prison system its about like why we putting hella people up in these jails right? like if we make jails less popular (financially) for private businesses then they wont fund prison building am i wrong? but then there will still be overcrowding.... Like does the policies we instill in the city/state/country attempt to put more people in jail so that these private businesses will make the bank?

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

Yeah, prisons are being built by private firms. If your beef is with the overcrowding, then you can blame it on the ineffective "War on Drugs" or even the institutionalized racism.
This.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

This.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Couldn't have said it any better.[/color]

yes prison is basically a slave camp..I did 26 months in a Kentucky "work camp" did regular renovation labor on govt. houseing and was paid 63 cents a day and fed at lunch time..getting regular labor for pennies to me is what they did to the slaves long ago. the company who owns most KY and OH prisons is the CCA. Its all a business. I don't think the overcrowding is due so much to the war or drugs (which is a joke) or anything else I feel that its more about sentance length. I got 10 yrs for trafficking. how can you even justify that really? when you put someone in for 7 years over cold checks..thats why the prisons are so full cus it takes so long to get out

The prison system has turned into a multi-billion dollar industry.
And the advancement of cheap labor is damn near a reinvention of slavery.

Along with building billion dollar facilities they must keep them filled.

Originally Posted by Dank Roofus

The gov doesnt build prisons anymore, private security companies like Wackenhut do.
Listen to this NT'er.

Think "Serco".
http://www.youtube.com/v/vyFkXmx8gxc&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0http://www.youtube.com/v/vyFkXmx8gxc&fs=1&source=uds&autoplay=0

i remember reading they decide on where/when to build prisons based on third graders and their behavior or grades...i think it was called the prison pipeline

http://www.childrensdefen...rison-pipeline-campaign/

here's some info on it...

it maybe 4th graders instead of third graders...

kids aren't even given a chance smh  

The Pipeline limits opportunities for our most vulnerable youth
  • Zero tolerance and suspensions disproportionately affect students of color and those with learning disabilities
    • Black students represented only 17% of national public school enrollment in 2000 but accounted for 34% of suspensions[5]
    • Special education students represent 8.6% of public school students, but 32% of youth in juvenile detention nationwide[6]
    • Black students with learning disabilities are three times more likely to be suspended than white students with learning disabilities and four times more likely to end up in correctional facilities[7]
  • School disciplinary, juvenile, and criminal records work against disadvantaged students when they apply for colleges, scholarships, jobs, and selective high schools.
  • In many places, having a criminal record can prevent students and their families from living in public housing[8]

Zero Tolerance policiesdirectly and indirectly feed the Pipeline
  • Schools rely on suspension, expulsion, citations, summonses, and arrests to handle disciplinary problems like bringing cell phones and ipods to school, smoking cigarettes, and skipping class. Students who might easily be disciplined through a visit to the principal’s office end up in jail cells—this is the essence of the Pipeline[2]
  • Criminal charges are brought against youth in schools for violations that never would be considered criminal if committed by an adult
http://www.nyclu.org/schooltoprison/factsheet

smh.gif

It all starts with the CYA (youth prison system). They lock a lot of kids up on some bull, and they end up spending their entire lives in and out of prison.

The school-to-prison pipeline is one of the most important civil rights challenges facing our nation today. 

• The school-to-prison pipeline refers to the national trend of criminalizing, rather than educating, our nation’s children. 

• The pipeline encompasses the growing use of zero-tolerance discipline, school-based arrests, disciplinary alternative schools, and secured detention to marginalize our most at-risk youth and deny them access to education. 

Zero-tolerance disciplinary policies are often the first step in a child’s journey through the pipeline.

• Zero-tolerance policies impose severe discipline on students without regard to individual circumstances.  Under these policies, children have been expelled for giving Midol to a classmate, bringing household goods (including a kitchen knife) to school to donate to Goodwill, and bring¬ing scissors to class for an art project.  

• Even the American Bar Association has condemned zero-tolerance policies as inherently unjust: “zero tolerance has become a one-size-fits-all solution to all the problems that schools confront. It has redefined students as criminals, with unfortunate consequences…Unfortunately, most current [zero-tolerance] policies eliminate the common sense that comes with discretion and, at great cost to society and to children and families, do little to improve school safety.

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

prisons are practically slave labor centers now.

Can someone school me on this please? What do they make in prisons?

Originally Posted by JDocs

My cousin was making mail bags for the US Postal Service.

Free market economy?
laugh.gif
smh.gif
How can another company compete with paying the wages (.04/hour) for labor that these prisons are paying?

Modern day slave trade. Why outsource when you can build more prisons? See the future?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by JDocs

I know in Cali EVERY license plate is made in prison...

I've heard of companies like Microsoft to TWA using prison labor...

They've even outsourced it to prisons in China making +*!+... They tried to regulate that +*!+ tho...

Man reading all this just makes me
smh.gif

Hope I never end up in one...*goes to knock on wood*

i recently read an article that stated schools are becoming less like schools, and more like juvenile halls. Like kids finishing high school have a better chance of staying out of jail. So they proposed a jail for kids that drop out of high school. what are we coming to....

"The Annihilating Public Policies of the Prison-Industrial Complex; or, Crime, Violence, and Punishment in an Age of Neoliberalism" by Stephen John Hartnett

i was told recently that in the past 20 year or so they've only built like 3-5 universities in cali and they've built over 10 prisons. i'll try to find the stats on that.

i work for a private prison company and we have over 100,000 inmates. 85% are non us citizens. California has not built a prison in 20 years and has over 180,000 prisoners, crazy
Some states allow prisoners to be paid small wages (which the state or feds regulate) they build everything from furniture to electronics. The thing is though its not about the money for the inmates, its about having a job. Something to keep them busy. I walk through the prisons and the people in the kitchen are quite happy because they get special privaliges and a better feeling of self worth if they are constanly doing something. Prisons for profit is the mantra that echos throughout the industry but thats because CCA aka CXW and Cornell aka CRN NYSE make US look so bad.
Bottom line: Private Prisons can be built in 14-18 months for much cheaper than any Gov't/State/or Federal Agency can do. Our per diems (daily amount of money the state pays to have us hold a prisoner) are much lower. Its capitalism and knocking that is just plain dumb. BTW California spend 10% of its budget on holding prisoners. I agree some laws are outdated but like i said we have a majority of non us citizens that do pose a threat to this country. The news doesnt report on it, but we are in a Border War with Mexico and the most powerful cartels in the world. Bloods and crips dont even rank in the top ten anymore. Our prisons are brand new and have flatscreens in all the cells. They dont have it as bad as you think.

Originally Posted by Piff or Die

Our prisons are brand new and have flatscreens in all the cells. They dont have it as bad as you think.

WTH??  Now I'm angry for different reasons.

Back
Top Bottom