Bachelors in Communication Studies

Anyone here get a degree in comm? What did you end up doing? I wanna know because I'm wondering what i'm gonna do with this major when i graduate.

Where did you go to school? What internships did you have? In the comm field, you need internships to make that next move or it'll definitely be harder.

money_on_fire_op_449x600.jpg

Its a very broad degree. Just get internships and network. Pretty much like with any other degree. Im a comm grad and I currently work at ABC News in NYC.

Communications is a broad major. There's many jobs where you can work at that will fit into your field, but like what one person said..do internshipsespecially if you're in this field.

VENT:

Is this the easiest major offered at most universities?

There has to be a reason why many division 1 athletes are communication majors and so many communication majors graduate Summa Cum Laude.

I swear, they need to start doing honors by major. Take the top X% of each major and give them honors, not the whole damn school. Communications is a reallygood field to study if you intend to go to law school. If you study and apply yourself, you're guaranteed a 3.5+ and smart kids should be able to get a3.95-4.0.

The 3.9-4.0 will get you into a T20 law school. The only communications majors that i personally know are in law school right now.

Communications degree w/ emphasis in corporate communication...minor in marketing

worked in marketing dept. at a law firm before graduating...
had a public relations intern for credit before graduating...
sales job before graduating...(strengthened interpersonal comm. skills)...

a year later I'm an internet copywriter for the company I interned for...

DO get an internship + related job experience before you grad. This will let you know what your interests + strengths & weaknesses are so that you canalign yourself with a job that you don't mind doing...

I kept my professional experience broad so that I career wise I can go from sales(not likely), communications, public relations, marketing, internet marketing,interactive media, & copywriting

Public Relations is a great field to get involved in.

A LOT of places offer internships throughout the year. I constantly get emails from XM radio, ********, Wizards, Orioles, Discovery Channel, govt. buildings,etc. and each are looking for marketing & PR interns.

Just do your research and start applying.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

VENT:

Alot of the time it is, but it just depends on what you think is easy. Alot of people are scared of getting up and talking in front of groups ofpeople so they would find that difficult. Its not all about giving speeches but there is a good amount of that and public speaking involved.

It isnt too bad if you have no problems speaking. Just kind of depends on what you are good at and what you want to do. Athletes tend to not be shy so it iseasier for them to talk in front of a group of people.

I have a Bachelors with a concentration in English and Communications.

I work in music publishing. But to be honest, a degree in communications did not get me that.

What helped me was that I did 3 internships at 3 major record labels.
If it wasn't for that, I'd still be cutting hair in a barbershop. If you have a degree in communications, but have no idea what you're going to do,then maybe communications shouldn't have been your area of concentration.

Figure out what you want to do and do an internship in that field.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

VENT:

There has to be a reason why many division 1 athletes are communication majors and so many communication majors graduate Summa Cum Laude.

I swear, they need to start doing honors by major. Take the top X% of each major and give them honors, not the whole damn school. Communications is a really good field to study if you intend to go to law school. If you study and apply yourself, you're guaranteed a 3.5+ and smart kids should be able to get a 3.95-4.0.

The 3.9-4.0 will get you into a T20 law school. The only communications majors that i personally know are in law school right now.

Hahahaha. That's funny. I'm actually applying to law school now and I majored in English and Communications.

Originally Posted by GUTTA SAUCE

gona be communicating a lot wit unemployment
So true. I know a few people that graduated with Comm majors. Only one of them has a job right now and he is only making like 15 an hour. Thatfield is broad like everyone is saying, but it isn't looked at as anything special when you show up and say you have a Bachelors in Communication. Myadvice is go into something a little bit more specific and difficult, no sense in spending money on a 4 year degree and come out with that garbage. Think ofit this way, everyone can get be a Comm major with how easy it is, what would set you apart from anyone else?

I'm a communication major.

My major is public relations and i am double majoring in art (studio art/art history). tons of internships are offered to the COM school and i know when igraduate i'll be well connected... its pretty broad, and depending on your focus, it will either be hard or easy.

PR can lead you into the most exciting and coolest jobs in the industry.

Sports teams, radio.tv, music industry, every major company needs PR to be successful.

Keep at it. ALSO - Make sure you join PRSA. definitely a great club to be associated with, meet a lot of great people/future connects.

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

PR can lead you into the most exciting and coolest jobs in the industry.

Sports teams, radio.tv, music industry, every major company needs PR to be successful.

Keep at it. ALSO - Make sure you join PRSA. definitely a great club to be associated with, meet a lot of great people/future connects.

this.

joining your local chapter would be great for networking. If you are still in school, I would suggest doing this asap as you will probably be charged less fora membership because you are a student.

its about who you know, not what you know

Back
Top Bottom