Bar Mitzvah attire HELP!?

Sup NT.  So I got invited to my GFs cousin's Bar Mitzvah.  It's my first one due to the fact I'm not Jewish and have never had the opportunity.  But I got the invite this time and I gladly accepted***(wow that was bad)
laugh.gif
.  Now my question for ya'll is, what Is proper attire for this event?  Slacks and tie?  What kind of shoes?  And what can I expect to do there, will there be a lot of dancing and music, or mostly sermons?  Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Thanks NT
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Malloy19

Sup NT.  So I got invited to my GFs cousin's Bar Mitzvah.  It's my first one due to the fact I'm not Jewish and have never had the opportunity.  But I got the invite this time and I gladly excepted.  Now my question for ya'll is, what Is proper attire for this event?  Slacks and tie?  What kind of shoes?  And what can I expect to do there, will there be a lot of dancing and music, or mostly sermons?  Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Thanks NT
pimp.gif

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

anyways, from what i've been told: the kid reads from the Torah, and then it's pretty much like a party after that. slacks, dress shirt and tie should do with a nice pair of black dress shoes.

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

olympic 7's and Vick Jersey
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The obvious answer would be to speak to your girlfriend since it's her family and you can know for sure. However, playing it safe you should wear a suit or at least slacks, shirt, tie. Dress shoes, no sneakers. You're going to have the ceremony and proceedings first, then afterwards there should be a reception or party.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

The obvious answer would be to speak to your girlfriend since it's her family and you can know for sure. However, playing it safe you should wear a suit or at least slacks, shirt, tie. Dress shoes, no sneakers. You're going to have the ceremony and proceedings first, then afterwards there should be a reception or party.
This.  I've been to several bar/bat mitvahs (including my own) and what Big J says is right.  To some degree, the level of formality depends on what type of Jewish temple you're dealing with, i.e. reform, orthodox, etc.  But even with reform Judiasim (which is not as strict), I've never been to a bar/bat mitzvah where the men didn't at least wear slacks and ties.  A suit would be good if you have one. 

And, yes, the religious part of the bar mitzvah comes first and then later there is a party.  Sometimes the party follows immediately after the ceremony and sometimes there is a few hours in between.  Again, what exactly happens during the event depends on the kind of temple.  With reform Judiasm, the service is generally pretty quick and a lot of it will be in English.  If you're talking orthodox, the religious service will be longer and pretty much entirely in Hebrew.  The party portion of it will pretty much be the same either way.  There's usually dinner, a few people speak, and generally there's some kind of entertainment like a band or DJ.  There's almost always dancing -- be prepared to get your hora on (that's when they'll lift the bar mitzvah kid up in a chair and carry him around the room). 

slacks+ dress shirt + tie + dress shoes at the least.

From the one I went to, the guy reads his piece and then there were refreshments, best wishes, yada yada at the end.
The festivities happened later that night.

DO WORK SON, thanks for pointing that out,
laugh.gif
, that was a bad one...

Thanks for all the advice guys, I believe it will be more of the Orthodox type. How do they pick who lifts the kid up in the chair? Im a big fellow, hopefully they dont pick me
laugh.gif
.. And is he considered a "man" after this ordeal?

Back
Top Bottom