Bar Owner Charged With Manslaughter After Letting Man Take 56 Shots

View media item 1526440Bar Owner Charged With Manslaughter After Letting Man Take 56 Shots
It is a bartender’s (or bar owner’s) duty to keep his or her patrons safe. That often means cutting people off if they’ve had too much to drink.

While it may be unfair to hold one adult responsible for the actions of another, watching out for others is a moral responsibility most people happily oblige.

And soon, it may be deemed a legal responsibility: A French bar owner was recently charged with manslaughter after a patron of his establishment died from excessive alcohol intake.

The customer, a 57-year-old man identified as Renaud, reportedly drank a mixture of 56 shots and shooters at Le Starter in an attempt to break a record set by a previous patron.

He’d been made aware of the record by a blackboard on the wall that displayed the name of the previous record holder and number of the shots taken (55).

According to witnesses, Renaud, who’d already consumed 14 shots prior to starting the challenge, proceeded to drink 30 shooters in a single minute.

By the end of the night, he’d drank more than a liter of alcohol.

According to Renaud’s daughter, the bar owner whispered, “12 more to go,” in Renaud’s ear in an attempt to goad him on.

After being carried home by his daughter, Renaud went into cardiac arrest; he died the next day at the hospital.

The prosecuting lawyer, Antoine Portal, said,

It is not known whether he would still be alive if he had not drunk the last 12 shots, but by making down those last shots, he was left with no chance. It was a case of inciting someone to consume. That’s an extremely serious mistake for a bar owner.

The bar owner’s lawyers denied the allegations and insisted “the customers are responsible for themselves,” but whether the defense will hold up legally remains unknown.

http://elitedaily.com/news/world/bar-owner-charged-manslaughter-shots/1026890/#

BRUH

Might as well not let people purchase large amounts of alcohol at the store then. Def should have been cut off, but if he wanted to beat the record, I think it's different.

That man who drank 55shots is a legend, though

Last edited:
Might as well not let people purchase large amounts of alcohol at the store then. Def should have been cut off, but if he wanted to beat the record, I think it's different.

That man who drank 55shots is a legend, though

that's like saying don't let anybody legally purchase a gun

way different if someone says I'm going to shoot myself and you hand it to them

So the guy's daughter was there at the bar with him and didn't say anything?

i see the validity of the case. manslaughter seems excessive. maybe license revoked and a lesser degree charge

:lol: 56 shots?! Technically, he did break the record.

RIP to a legend :pimp:

I kilt a half a 5th of 1800 last night and I was done for.

That's why I couldn't bother with owning a bar or club. You'll get arrested, sued, shutdown with the quickness over things.

Nobody is responsible for their own actions anymore? The fool thought it was a bright idea to down 50+ shots, why is the owner, or the bartender responsible for his choices? The man is 56 years old with his adult daughter by his side. None of them thought it was a bad idea then. Now she wants to act like the bartender was the demon responsible for his choice :smh:

And how does anyone know what the bartender "whispered" to dude?

Aren't whispers made in confidence?

Was it a loud whisper?

Did the guy tell everyone around him whar the bartender whispered in his ear?

He probably told the guy "12 more and you're a goner, stop now".

Maaaan ol' girl trying to get paid.

If dude was trying to "goad" on her dad she played the cut and allowed it.

I'd probably put hands on a homie once he hit 20-25 and drag him out the bar to save his life.

Her story sound bunk AF. BS detected.

But on another note, the house is definitely responsible as well.

No way you should ever allow a patron more than 15-20 drinks.

People have died after about 25 drinks.

Gotta protect yourself from liability.

Last edited:
How the hell did the record get to 55 anyway? Most bars cut you off once they believe you've had enough...may be different in France idk.

Nobody is responsible for their own actions anymore? The fool thought it was a bright idea to down 50+ shots, why is the owner, or the bartender responsible for his choices? The man is 56 years old with his adult daughter by his side. None of them thought it was a bad idea then. Now she wants to act like the bartender was the demon responsible for his choice
mean.gif
For the same reason the girl who egged her friend on to commit suicide is being charged. He took advantage of a gullible mind.

Maaaan ol' girl trying to get paid.

If dude was trying to "goad" on her dad she played the cut and allowed it.

I'd probably put hands on a homie once he hit 20-25 and drag him out the bar to save his life.

Her story sound bunk AF. BS detected.

But on another note, the house is definitely responsible as well.

No way you should ever allow a patron more than 15-20 drinks.

People have died after about 25 drinks.

Gotta protect yourself from liability.
Also think of all the women who have been taken advantage of after a few shots. A young lady was dragged from a bar and killed after consuming too much. That's just one of the stories that inspired a WWYD episode.

If you're going to sell alcohol, guns, and potentially dangerous things , it's the law to do it responsibly.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a dude who tweeted something like "I'd rather die from Vodka than boredom!" and then died from drinking too much vodka?

Back
Top Bottom