Basketball Rule Question - Saving the ball from going out of bounds

So i was playing with some old filipino dudes who play cherry pick every play and call every thing a foul, they get hated on alot at the courts i play at because of stuff like. So this happens..

A scramble  for the loose ball and it was going out of bounds, I grabbed the ball and was tip toeing out of bounds, the defender overran the ball and went out of bounds. I had possession of the ball and was about to fall out of bounds, so i threw the ball at the defender who was already established out of bounds. Him and his teams are saying its out on me and all of them were confident it was their ball and it was out on me because I threw the ball at someone who was already out of bounds, so technically hes not in play (or whatever they meant by that). 

I was arguing that it doesnt matter hes out of bounds, he touched the ball last. Eventually I got the ball, but they were so sure by the look of their faces it shouldve been their ball. 

So whose ball is it? 

I know there's hazy rules in basketball (which i dont think mines is one of them) but i guess people can use this thread for these types of questions

unless your %!+ is on the bench you are always "in play". If you willingly walk off the court while the ball is still live (and no one calls for a stoppage of play) and I happen to throw the ball off your head, thats out on you.

You were right. If the guy is out of bounds, he's out of bounds. I don't know what they were talking about with that not being in play stuff.

Situations like this, cause for a punting of the ball to get your point across.

Or just take the ball and check it up.

i hate playin with old filipino dudes like that. then they get all butt hurt after they lose or if they dont get it their way. smh. (im filipino if it matters)

Obviously in a pick up game it's different and should be out on him just off principal, but in organized ball if you throw to a team mate whos out of bounds it's your turnover not his, so I'm sure it would be the same if you threw it at an opponent. 

Originally Posted by dreClark

Situations like this, cause for a punting of the ball to get your point across.

Or just take the ball and check it up.

"GO GET THAT %%+% THEN"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Wade187

Obviously in a pick up game it's different and should be out on him just off principal, but in organized ball if you throw to a team mate whos out of bounds it's your turnover not his, so I'm sure it would be the same if you threw it at an opponent. 

Nope, those are two different situations. Individual turnovers have nothing to do with it. Even in organized ball when you throw it off an opponent who's already out of bounds, it's still your ball.

if i read this right
you are inbounds

defender is out of bounds

you while inbounds throw the ball at the out of bounds defender

to me that = you turned over the ball. 

the point of throwing the ball at a defender is to make them the last player inbounds to touch the ball.

in this situation it sounds like you were the last inbounds player to touch the ball. 

Yo OP I had the same exact problem/arguement a few months back, I was so sure of myself being right and him being wrong I wanted to punch his face in (I never get THAT heated on the court) because he kept arguing the call
smh.gif

And yes you were right, if you're still in bounds and he's out and you throw it off him, then its out on him

f i read this right
you are inbounds

the point of throwing the ball at a defender is to make them the last player inbounds to touch the ball.

in this situation it sounds like you were the last inbounds player to touch the ball.

So if he threw the ball back in and the defender had 1 foot out of bounds and caught the pass whose ball is it?  You sir are wrong

Your ball

My pops used to do this all the time when I was younger and I would just catch it out of bounds, his ball....

Originally Posted by FilthyRich

if i read this right
you are inbounds

And you are wrong.

c. The ball is caused to go out-of-bounds by the last player to touch it before it goes out, provided it is out-of-bounds because of touching something other than a player. If the ball is out-of-bounds because of touching a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player caused it to go out. 
[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
eyes.gif
embarassed.gif
[/font]

Originally Posted by FilthyRich

c. The ball is caused to go out-of-bounds by the last player to touch it before it goes out, provided it is out-of-bounds because of touching something other than a player. If the ball is out-of-bounds because of touching a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player caused it to go out. 
[font=arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
eyes.gif
[/font]

Please don't tell me you're trying to post that to argue that you are right. The bolded section refers to the player standing out of bounds, who OP threw the ball off of.

just imagine that youre guarding a guy. he runs out of bounds, underneath the hoop, to get to the other wing, if the ball happened to have hit him while he was running out of bounds, it would most definitely be out on him. doesnt matter who threw it at him, it hit him while he was out of bounds, therefore your ball. Different situations, same principle.

Can't believe people even need confirmation on this? You're standing out of bounds, the ball hasn't yet touched anybody or anyone out of bounds so it is therefore inbounds until it touches you. Out on you, because you made it out of bounds.

Think of out as some contageous disease. All of the ground out of bounds has it, soon as a person is toching out of bounds he has it. Ball is clean until it touches you, because you're standing in Herpes. Op was gliding over Herpes, but his penis never made contact. You however are all up in it, you fingered, you munched, you raw dogged. You have it. Now anything to touch you (the basketball), gets it.

Back
Top Bottom