BBallers! what do you do to fix your jUMPERS KNEE?

I've been playing basketball since 6th grade and seems like I've never stop since then.
Fast forward to age 29 my knees are bothering me. Even though I rest it for 2-3 weeks my knees have sharp pains when I ball. Anybody have any remedies? This sucks. haha

I'm the same and this changed my life a couple years ago

Avoiding spin moves really does wonders too, speaking from experience
laugh.gif

First question, do you work out your legs? That's a big issue with some ppl. They don't work out their legs so the jumping and constant movement will hurt..

Secondly, are you playing indoor or outdoors? Outdoors puts a lot of strain on the knees b/c the ground doesn't give when you're jumping and landing

Thirdly, try a jumper's knee band. Cost no more than $12 if I'm not mistaken.

^
1. I do p90x and insanity. lol

2. Indoor all day. interesting i always though outdoor courts destroy your knees due to the hard concerte.

3. i have bands over bands over bands. haha

Since I started 2 foot jumping instead of always going off one leg, the problem went away.

The most common causes are weak hamstring, quad, and/or glute muscles, or tight ham/quad/glute muscles, or disproportionate strength between legs or disproportionate strength between quads and hamstrings within one leg.

I had the worst patella tendonitis (jumpers knee) for the past three years and finally did something about it this summer. It ended up being a much easier fix than I thought. I got an MRI just to make sure it was something else and then just started doing genuine parallel squats with relatively light weight at least once a week coupled with stretches after every training/practice/game. After going years with pain in both knees I was pain free after less than two months.

I really can't emphasize the stretching enough.

Ice Cups to use as ice massage
Foam Rolling Quads, Hams, IT Band, and Quads
PNF Stretching
Squats with proper technique

Just some ideas. Everyone's body is different.

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

Go to the doctor. . It sound like a serious problem. .

Hell naw! A doc is gonna tell you to ice and rest or make you waste time and money  at a physical therapist.

Welp, when I was 14, I use to jump rope with ankle weights (don't ask why) and it has completely effected my knees. I'm 21 now and play basketball 3-4 times a week for 3-4 hours. I wear a McDavid knee strap and it usually help but after 2nd hour of basketball my knee will start to hurt a little. By the time I get home, I'm usually in mild discomfort but sometimes it's almost unbearable. So, I guess I would suggest a knee strap, but I feel that it's only a short-term solution.

tired.gif
  my knees are horrible.  so far ive had a bruised bone and really bad tendonitis.  will be checking this thread, good advice so far.

Originally Posted by Sikwiidit04

^
1. I do p90x and insanity. lol

This could be making the pain worse. Of course, strengthening the knee helps to prevent the pain but all of the quick and repetitive jumping in insanity can easily end up causing patellar tendinitis with time.

Same thing happened to me from doing too much insanity.  I  couldn't work out for a few months so I finally went and saw a physical therapist.  All she had me do were a bunch of different single leg squat and balance exercises.  Those combined with knee massages and ultrasound got me back to normal in about a month.

Edit: Also, like HAM CITY said above. Stretching is probably the most important thing to do if you want to get rid of the pain and not have it come back.

If you've been playing at a high level for that long, then you're gonna have those minor knee issues. Our "AAU" generation is starting to learn this. I'd just say find better knee/leg strength workouts and make sure you wear excellent shoes with support.....

I think wearing different sneakers not broken in worsen my knees as well. I also wear law enforcement boots at work.
I don't know I've tried everything except resting my knees for a month. I can't do that for some reason my %$!$@*% wants to keep ballin. haha

I might try that foam roller.

Back
Top Bottom