Beckham out for 2010 World Cup

frown.gif

http://soccernet.espn.go....e/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

This HAS to suck for England. Yes, he's old and not the same as he once was, but still.

What's this doing in the Sports forum?

But seriously, it sucks to see anyone go down to injury in a WC year. As much as I dislike him, he's a hard working player.

This isn't that big of a loss for England since Beckham was probably their 2nd or 3rd option on the right side of midfield. They already have guys like Walcott, Lennon, Wright-Phillips who play that position.

I'm not quite sure this would have been his last WC. Even though he's getting up there in years he has been known to be a workout warrior and his style of play is not particularly punishing on the body. He'd be 39 in 2014, but he has never relied on his phsyique very much. His skill level is absurd and age should not work against it. It's a long shot, but I don't see it as being impossible.

Does this suck for England? Yes, but they're losing more in the locker room than they are on the actual playing field.

RIP to Englands title hopes.

Beckham is probably not Englands best player, but he was there when England needed him (Greece/qualification and Germany 2006).

^ Yeah pretty much. I feel for the guy though, cuz he's a super-hard worker (having re-earned a starting spot in Madrid during Fabio's rule said a lot).

I wonder if Fabio will invite him to join the team in June just for team-camaraderie...
I also wonder what this means for his contract with Galaxy?  Is there insurance for this kinda thing / players on loan?

Originally Posted by engoi

Beckham is probably not Englands best player, but he was there when England needed him (Greece/qualification and Germany 2006).
Errr the loss of Beckham isn't going to affect England's chances of winning the WC. It would have been nice to have him there but his presence was never going to be the difference of winning or losing - this isn't 1998 or 2002.

England are going to need a lot of luck to win this year - I just don't think they have the firepower to beat a team like Spain or Brazil, and Italy would just grind them down for a 1-0 victory. England have to get to the semi's for Capello to be seen as improving over previous managers.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

But seriously, it sucks to see anyone go down to injury in a WC year. As much as I dislike him, he's a hard working player.

This isn't that big of a loss for England since Beckham was probably their 2nd or 3rd option on the right side of midfield. They already have guys like Walcott, Lennon, Wright-Phillips who play that position.

walcott, world cup?

I'm not saying that he's the main focus on the team, but he was a needed part of the team even with his age.

How this work though? He was playing for Milan (borrowed from Galaxy) and he gets injured with them? Does Galaxy have the right to void the remainder of this season's contract since he won't be playing?

sick.gif
.. I'd rather see Ashley Young called up to the squad than Walcott
And yes, Beckham's on field presence loss is not a big impact, as it will be in the locker room or on the sidelines..

Originally Posted by NIMFH

I'm not quite sure this would have been his last WC. Even though he's getting up there in years he has been known to be a workout warrior and his style of play is not particularly punishing on the body. He'd be 39 in 2014, but he has never relied on his phsyique very much. His skill level is absurd and age should not work against it. It's a long shot, but I don't see it as being impossible.

Does this suck for England? Yes, but they're losing more in the locker room than they are on the actual playing field.

Ignoring the first paragraph as utter nonsense, I do agree his presence will be noticeably missed in the England camp.
But even on the pitch, a player of his experience & influence would have been beneficial, coming on as a sub for the last 10-20 mins of a nervous qualifier & calming things down  ...pretty much the role he would have had at the World Cup.

R.I.P. Becks -thanks for the memories 

.....SWP is the man for the job

Originally Posted by NIMFH

Sorry, but I have to disagree about Beckham being around in 2014. While you are spot on about your analysis of Beckham as a player (relies on skill rather than physical attributes), the fact is that he's England's #2 or #3 option at his position right now which means that he's not really a big part of the team. There will be other players emerging for England in the coming years and Beckham will surely either retire voluntarily or get excluded by the manager. Maybe Euro 2012 is a possibility for Beckham though.

As for Walcott, I'm not a fan of his either but its possible that he makes the team as the #3 choice RM. With Beckham going down, his chances of making the team improve significantly. He was recently included on their squad vs. Egypt (Lennon was injured...Walcott started the match but was ineffective).

It looks like SWP and Lennon are locks to make the team and I'd put money on Walcott being on it as well.

Feel bad for Becks. For the past 2 seasons he did everything possible to make it on Capello's squad and to go out like this sucks. He will never play in a WC again and knowing that I wonder if he'll even want to return to professional football in the future.

I'm wondering how this whole thing is going to play out for the Galaxy though. We really need that salary cap space (assuming there's no strike). This whole franchise bent over for Becks and lost a lot of their loyal fan base, I'm interested to see how they recover from this because the stands are going to be extremely empty now...

The only difference now is that they will lose in the semi- or quarter finals in a penalty shootout without Beckham on the team. Otherwise, they would've just lost in the semi- or quarter finals in a penalty shootout with Beckham.

England's curse strikes again...
smh.gif

it's unfortunate that England lost their most patriotic player...why couldn't it be John Terry?
mad.gif

This isn't that big of a loss for England since Beckham was probably their 2nd or 3rd option on the right side of midfield.

i will have to disagree with you there...England will sorely miss Beckham's services this coming World Cup...
he's not a first choice option on that right side simply because Capello prefers a textbook winger - one who goes forward with pace and skill...
fitness is also not an issue with Beckham...

They already have guys like Walcott, Lennon, Wright-Phillips who play that position.  

like i've said,Capello prefers the speedy-type wingers...
and although they've got loads of pace,they can't cross for %$+*...
in that second leg Milan vs Utd match,Becks made a difference when he came on around the hour mark...
his crossing and corner kicks created some problems for the Utd defence...and he almost scored from a volley...
so in my opinion,Beckham will provide another attacking option to England's attack if the usual system doesn't work...
and i think with all the chaos surrounding the England camp,he would be something of a calming influence in that dressing room...

blessing in disguise for england. he's too much of a liability on defense even for his position IMO. 

while some if you think he's gonna be missed in the locker room, he also could've been the biggest distraction.

like england had a chance anyways...and bechkam is a washed up bum who was never a good footballer...sad that people still care bout him...

and have you even heard the guy speak? he seems dumber than a pole...

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

That's a stupid comment to make.

You shouldn't underestimate his personality.
Take a look on Zidane in 2002, sometimes it's not only about physical presence and physical abilities.
England will still have a very good team, but they had also 2006 a good team and Beckham was a reason for acomplish the quarterfinals.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

That's a stupid comment to make.

You shouldn't underestimate his personality.
Take a look on Zidane in 2002, sometimes it's not only about physical presence and physical abilities.
England will still have a very good team, but they had also 2006 a good team and Beckham was a reason for acomplish the quarterfinals.

its blasphemy for you to compare zidane to beckham. zidane was the heart and soul of that team. beckham on the other hand is just another player on the english squad, he's not even the captain anymore. 

Back
Top Bottom