Best basketball shoes Vol. Ankle Support

I need to get some new basketball shoes. I have been playing in lows for a couple years, but have sprained my ankle twice recently. I want to play in some shoes that will minimize the possibility of getting hurt.
I am wearing an ankle brace but feel that getting a higher cut shoe will also help more than having a low cut shoe.

Ive played in Kobe 5s and hyperfuse lows
I was looking at KD 5s online but they don't seem to be much higher than the lows.

Help me out with suggestions NT!

Thanks!

Last edited:
No shoes will save your ankle if you happen to land on somebody else foot. A shoes that has an out rigger might help stabilize the ankle from quick laterally movement on the court but it does not really help if you unluckily land on someone foot while rebound or shooting jumpshot

High cut shoes does not offer anymore more protection than low cut shoes. It's really just a mindset. Not a fact.

I suggest you just buy a light, stable, low to the ground shoes and most importantly wear proper shoe size. Wear thick socks.

Play hard but play smart. Always stretch before playing and in your spare time work on your balance/ legs conditioning to improve your legs muscle strength. Walking barefoot on dry sand is a good way to strengthen your ankle and foot too.

Last edited:
i think ankle rolls are more affected by the stability of the shoe rather than the cut but that can be another thread. that and those awkward landings..nothings going to protect your ankle from those..high..mid or lows.

the kdv's are mid cut so if you're looking for a support around your ankle, these will do. they are a low on the back by the achilles but they kind of point/round up in the front above the ankle. If you lace them all the way to the top, it'll cover your ankle. the traction is GREAT and it's has good balance of being low to the ground but cushion with the forefoot zoom, so it's pretty stable. the bottom is rounded so it forces you to be on your toes a little bit. they run narrow and the hyperfuse is a little thick so you'll need to break them in. if you have wide feet, you might need to size up bc of the hyperfuse. i actually have problem with the hyperfuse hurting my feet so I can only wear these for a league game/single games. anything more than that, my feet will start to hurt. I actually prefer the KDV's cushion to the kobe 8s.

I have had the same issues with my ankles and low tops.

After a lengthy rehab period which included a lot of mobility work, I have returned to playing ball in my Kobe 5s. In my shoe rotation I include my zoom lebron Vs for the strap that locks my foot down.

As mentioned in this thread, you need to focus on streching, mobility and strength training to try and minimised injury as much as possible .

Back
Top Bottom