Best basketball sneaker for knee problems?

What is a better choice for basketball after coming back from a knee ligament strain? A super light shoe such as the ZK4 (I'm thinking this will reducestrain on the knee) or a shoe with lots of protection and better cushioning to protect on impact such as the Foamposite (however I'm worried that a heaviershoe will put more stress on the knee ligament). Of course, it will be tiny difference but I'm thinking every bit helps...

I'm not necessarily sure that a heavy shoe would put more strain on the knee. My best advice is for you to get some Lebrons. They would absorb more impactthan the ZK4.

I tore my meniscus playing in the vc3s . Apparently the ankle support was so good that it stop my ankle from rolling coming down on someone's foot from alayup but sent the impact straight up to my knee forcing it to twist. I tried a bunch of shoes attempting to playing through it and finally having surgery ayear ago.

For the most part I'd stick with light shoes with dense cushioning and a little less ankle support.

Huruache 2k4 and 2k5 and the Kobe 1s and 2s were good but the trampoline affect of the air zoom would wear on my knee after a couple of games causing my kneeto be sore after playing.

Not wanting to give up on air zoom, I tried playing in lebron Vs which were more supportive. The weight of the shoe however wore on my knee after a couple ofgames as well.

Air max cushioning is fine but i find most of those shoes to be very clunky and of course weighty. The melo 5s were light but the support didn't last toolong and they started to squeak i think fro the air max separating from the midsole.

The shoes I played in the longest were the Converse Triple deuce surprisingly. I just threw in some sof sole insoles and they were fine.

Right now I'm playing in the Kobe IVs and after a super painful break in period, they're excellent. I like the lunar foam because there is no responseto it really. Of course there is a question of durability and I've only played in them twice. I might put some sof sole insoles into them as well just toadd little more cushioning and durability.

I honestly don't find any air cushioning to be very durable or even protective enough. I'd probably stick to eva or even adiprene by adidas. Shox maybe too dense.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it was helpful.
I'm 5'10 175 pg

I`ve found that the 360`s are the easiest on my knee (torn acl). They might not suit your game but the protection is well worth it imo.

Originally Posted by PhiLLmatic

I tore my meniscus playing in the vc3s . Apparently the ankle support was so good that it stop my ankle from rolling coming down on someone's foot from a layup but sent the impact straight up to my knee forcing it to twist. I tried a bunch of shoes attempting to playing through it and finally having surgery a year ago.

For the most part I'd stick with light shoes with dense cushioning and a little less ankle support.

Huruache 2k4 and 2k5 and the Kobe 1s and 2s were good but the trampoline affect of the air zoom would wear on my knee after a couple of games causing my knee to be sore after playing.

Not wanting to give up on air zoom, I tried playing in lebron Vs which were more supportive. The weight of the shoe however wore on my knee after a couple of games as well.

Air max cushioning is fine but i find most of those shoes to be very clunky and of course weighty. The melo 5s were light but the support didn't last too long and they started to squeak i think fro the air max separating from the midsole.

The shoes I played in the longest were the Converse Triple deuce surprisingly. I just threw in some sof sole insoles and they were fine.

Right now I'm playing in the Kobe IVs and after a super painful break in period, they're excellent. I like the lunar foam because there is no response to it really. Of course there is a question of durability and I've only played in them twice. I might put some sof sole insoles into them as well just to add little more cushioning and durability.

I honestly don't find any air cushioning to be very durable or even protective enough. I'd probably stick to eva or even adiprene by adidas. Shox may be too dense.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it was helpful.
I'm 5'10 175 pg
wow, that's interesting. i had no idea that too much protection was a bad thing, but that made a lot of sense.

i think it also has to do with ur recovery
i tore up my meniscus my senior year in hs, 2 years ago
and it was torn ot the part it couldn't get any worse
so i continued to play on it throughout the season [tore last presason game]
and i just started my physical therapy and rehab throughout the season
by the time i had surgery and PT, my knee was stronger than expected
so i was able to play with most shoes on.
i steered away from AirMax shoes though just because they're stiffer
and a lot of the impact my knee takes from heel impact
so for me, the zooms still did fine, i came back playing in huarache 64s
and my knee held up fine, of course if i played for days straight my knee would give out the next
but that was expected until i got it bakc to "full health"

I have knee problems (no surgeries though), but i tend to steer toward heavier shoes with alot of cushion i.e. Lebron IVs but for alot of people those areheavy(they are great for me as a 6'4" 205 SG/SF). But i guess since i work my legs out more than the average person they dont bother me, anyways othershoes that made my knees NOT swell up too much after i played were.... Lebron VIs, 2K4's, VC IVs, ZK1's, retro penny IV's, and lebron IV's. Ifi were you i would buy some powermaxes, i hear they are pretty sturdy, cushioned well, and arent too heavy. Good luck

I had a near complete cartiladge tear in my right knee a few years back, I ball in the lebron IV primarily. The shoe seems to be cushioned soft enough that myknee doesnt shift around. Every now and then if I land wrong or if a shoe isnt cushioned enough, my knee will sometimes dislocate(yes, dislocate). Lebron IVfor me. I also ball in the Hyperdunks, Kobe IV, Jordan XX3, Jordan XX2, and Lebron VI. That is my balling rotation.

Back
Top Bottom