Best Book on Hip Hop History

Figured that since this about a book I'd put it in General rather than Music. mods move if you disagree.
Anyways,

I was wondering if you any of you have read any great books on Hip Hop history and if so what they are. These could be biographies of influential artists or the development of the genre in general.

The Vibe history of Hip-Hop book is pretty commonly used as a textbook for college level hip-hop classes its a bit dated (I think it only goes up to early 2000s) but it honestly is one of the best books on hip-hop around

Hip-Hop Wars by Tricia Rose isn't a history of hip-hop, but its one of the best books I've read about the issues surrounding the genre and its greater impact.

That's the Joint is also very good, that one is a collection of essays and articles about hip-hop, including a history portion.

Both are very interesting.

Ego trips book of rap list
INS70002.jpg

9780865479975.jpg

Somebody Scream! by Marcus Reeves isn't bad.  
Obviously you're not going to get EVERYTHING in 276 pages.  The book focuses on the underpinnings of hip hop and tries to weave in some common ideological strands while progressing through a condensed presentation of its history, but most chapters focus on an analysis of various commercially successful artists.  For that reason, you're gonna see an entire chapter about DMX and no mention of Dead Prez.  Even so, most readers should definitely get something worthwhile out of it.

never start a sentence with an apology or negative regarding your side or idea

Originally Posted by Hanacheezy

never start a sentence with an apology or negative regarding your side or idea
That's a common and useful tip for students, but it doesn't always apply to real life.  I didn't write the book and I'm not selling anything.  Thus, my post doesn't fall under the category of "persuasive writing."  

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo

Ego trips book of rap list
INS70002.jpg

I love this book. Just a bunch of facts about stuff in hip-hop. I remember reading that back in college and just being amazed that Memphis Bleek's first part of his name was an acronym ("Making Easy Money Pimping %%#$ in Style"). Anyways, great toilet read type book. I can't believe I still don't own it.

Power moves by Halifu Osumare
1403976309.jpg

And That's the Joint.

My professor wrote the first book..great read and wish I could take the class all over again. Second class I got an A in
pimp.gif

while on this topic, any fans of nas should def take the time to read this book:

born_to_use_mics_reading_nass_illmatic.jpg

I had to read it for an AA studies class i took in college. mainly focuses and breaks down the record Illmatic 

^^^Wow....very cool. Probably my fovorite album ever along side Reasonable Doubt. I am going to see if I can get that.

Originally Posted by kbweezy24

while on this topic, any fans of nas should def take the time to read this book:

born_to_use_mics_reading_nass_illmatic.jpg

I had to read it for an AA studies class i took in college. mainly focuses and breaks down the record Illmatic 
came here to post this
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

cant-stop-wont-stop-a-history-of-the-hip-hop-generation.jpg

I've read most of the books in this thread but this is the absolute BEST book on the history of hip-hop that I've come across.  This is seriously a GREAT book and I definitely recommend picking this up.

Have Gun Will Travel: Spectacular Rise and Violent Fall of Death Row Records

its all about death row records

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

cant-stop-wont-stop-a-history-of-the-hip-hop-generation.jpg

Had to read this for my hip hop course in college, CLASSIC
smokin.gif
I've read this book for a class too. It's pretty legit. The author Jeff Chang, along with Dave Tompkins, actually came to the class. Dave Tompkins wrote How to Wreck a Nice Beach: The Vocoder from WWII to Hip Hop. That's a pretty cool book too.

Back
Top Bottom