Best external HD to copp? (must work with 360/ps3)

Originally Posted by judeezy36

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

ps3 would only read fat32 files
in a fat32 you cant have single files larger than 4gb and a typical HD movie is 10gb +
yes you will lose your data if you partition it with files already in it
what you can do is move some files into your computer for temporary storage and then format it in a fat32 file system and then move back
Where they doing that at?
True bluray rips are 30+ gb

Those 4 gig 720p files you find online are not true hd

True "Rips" are 7-10gb. Actual untouched Blu-Ray downloads are anywhere from 20-50gbs.

1080p blurays are not 7 to 10 gigs. The movie itself would possible be 11-12 gb(at the least)

Every untouched bluray on my server is 20+

Even tv shows are 7 to 10 a piece(depending on duration)

So can you do all this movie stuff with a XBOX 360? I read some where that if you upload to the latest firmware that it will be able to play a lot of moviesfiles like a PS3 but I gave my friend some movies and she was unable to play it.

Originally Posted by KeVeNMaYnE

Also, is it possible to D/L Bluray movies to it and hook it up to the ps3 and have it show up without burning it to a disc? Cause that would be
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
smokin.gif

tversity works wonders.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

So can you do all this movie stuff with a XBOX 360? I read some where that if you upload to the latest firmware that it will be able to play a lot of movies files like a PS3 but I gave my friend some movies and she was unable to play it.
I don't think you need to update to the latest firmware on 360, but when you try to play an avi file for the
first time, it should tell you that you need to update a media codec. Once it does that you're good.
I used a quick program called Gotsent to convert from mkv to mp4, then change the file from .mp4 to .avi and it works fine.
i haven't been able to play mkv files on 360.

On the ps3, i've only tried avi files and they work, couldn't play mp4, haven't tried mkv

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Originally Posted by KeVeNMaYnE

Also, is it possible to D/L Bluray movies to it and hook it up to the ps3 and have it show up without burning it to a disc? Cause that would be
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
smokin.gif

tversity works wonders.
for streaming over the network you don't really need tversity. You just need to accept your ps3 or 360 on your computer, then setup thefolders you want to share in Windows Media Player.
When you try to connect a ps3 or 360, if it's on the same network as your computer, you will get a popup on the taskbar telling you that a new device isconnected. When you click it, choose to accept the the device.

For playing files straight from a HDD formatted in FAT32, all you do is plug it in, go to the media tab on either device and select your hard drive.

On ps3, when you go to the video tab, you might need to go to the folder your file is in and press triangle, then "view all" because sometimes thefiles don't show up right away for me

^^^^You actually have to create a folder that reads "VIDEO" in caps first so you don't have to do that "view all" on the PS3. Youactually don't see the VIDEO folder at all though. When you click your harddrive, it should go straight to your files afterwards.

Is there a Mac software like Gotsent? I have some MPEG4 movies that for whatever reason won't play on my PS3. I am thinking if I turn them into a AVi file,it might play instead.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Question about formatting it to fat32, will you have to reformat it when you use it with you pc?
No you don't have to. Windows Vista or Windows 7 will be able to read the drive.

Is there a Mac software like Gotsent? I have some MPEG4 movies that for whatever reason won't play on my PS3. I am thinking if I turn them into a AVi file, it might play instead.

i have one called visualhub.. but the company killed it. still works if you have it tho. but having a networked HD/NAS > plugging and unplugging an externalHD.

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

Originally Posted by spsfinest212

shatterkneesinc wrote:

ps3 would only read fat32 files

in a fat32 you cant have single files larger than 4gb and a typical HD movie is 10gb +

yes you will lose your data if you partition it with files already in it

what you can do is move some files into your computer for temporary storage and then format it in a fat32 file system and then move back
Where they doing that at?
True bluray rips are 30+ gb

Those 4 gig 720p files you find online are not true hd

Yeah but it still looks pretty damn good even if it isn't true HD and you save like $30 as well. Like I said, some rippers are getting pretty good at what they do. I have iRobot and it looks awesome and it is only 1.4gb.
A downloaded movie in great picture quality done in xvid, H.624, mp4, mkv, or another media will not look as good as a blu-ray and will look likegood quality HD on tv channels which is done in 720p or 1080i. Here in the US there are no networks that broadcast any tv channels, movies or sporting eventsin 1080p. Also another downside side with movies that are ripped from blu-ray's or dvd's, or re encoded in one of the HD media formats that I mentionedbefore is that the sound quality on blu-ray's is done in HD with dts-ma, dts true HD which are in 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Which you will need a audioreceiver and surround sound setup to really take advantage of those HD audio formats.

Also blu-ray movies today can be had from $13 to $20 buck range if you get them when they first come out at Target, Walmart, or Best Buy. Amazon is the bestthough because they always have most of the blu-ray's at that price range and you don't get charged for shipping or tax.

Back
Top Bottom