Best LSAT prep book?

Can anybody recommend me some? I heard the PowerScore Bibles were pretty good. Another question is it worth taking a prep course? Because I'm one year away from taking my LSAT exam, and I kind of want to get a feel for this whole LSAT thing. Thus, I plan to buy some prep books and study the techniques on my own now, and then take a prep course closer to the actual test date.

Based on my own experiences (score was 170):

PowerScore Bibles all the way. I went through each one 3 or 4 times carefully and was prepared for everything the LSAT threw at me.

As far as studying alone or taking a class, it depends on how you're used to studying. If you ever just tune out the professor all semester and ace your exams by studying the book, you probably don't need the class. If you need stuff explained to you by another person, then take a class. I didn't take one and I was fine.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

PowerScore Bibles all the way. I went through each one 3 or 4 times carefully and was prepared for everything the LSAT threw at me.

As far as studying alone or taking a class, it depends on how you're used to studying. If you ever just tune out the professor all semester and ace your exams by studying the book, you probably don't need the class. If you need stuff explained to you by another person, then take a class. I didn't take one and I was fine.

PowerScore Bibles x 1,000 (also based on experience).

Good advice re: prep classes. I'd also add that you should take a cold diagnostic to gauge your strengths/weaknesses. I scored a 163 on my cold diagnostic, realized all my mistakes were in Logic Games, picked up the Logic Games PowerScore Bible, ordered like 20 old exams from LSAC, and studied like a fiend over the summer.

Also consider how much time you'll have to study. I had a whole summer vacation. A lot of my classmates had full-time jobs, so a prep class was a way to ensure they allotted enough time to study.

$140 aint bad for em. Gotta see what my gpa lookin like after graduation. Probably gon cop anyway to prep. I got a 154 on a practice LSAT some years ago. Since then, I've taken a Causal Reasoning course and Philosophy course.

Great question OP, thanks for the suggestion gents

thanks for the advice. just ordered the powerscore books. i've been getting various prep books/taking practice exams (untimed) on and off for the past few months but it's time to buckle down and get serious. i plan on taking the LSAT this June. i swear these tests are designed to cause you heart problems and shave some years off your life
smh.gif

btw, thanks for the advice you gave me way back when jcach. i really was gonna give up on the law school dreams but you have me hope
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

just on a side note (not to threadjack OP), for all my law school NTers, what was your GPA coming out of undergrad and what schools did you guys get accepted in?

Originally Posted by jcach

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

PowerScore Bibles x 1,000 (also based on experience).

Good advice re: prep classes. I'd also add that you should take a cold diagnostic to gauge your strengths/weaknesses. I scored a 163 on my cold diagnostic, realized all my mistakes were in Logic Games, picked up the Logic Games PowerScore Bible, ordered like 20 old exams from LSAC, and studied like a fiend over the summer.

Also consider how much time you'll have to study. I had a whole summer vacation. A lot of my classmates had full-time jobs, so a prep class was a way to ensure they allotted enough time to study.
 All great points. I'd just add that one shouldn't be discouraged by a poor diagnostic. Mine was in the 140s because I had no idea how to approach the games section and was basically guessing. I think depending on your experience with logic in undergrad, you may have a very strong or very poor diagnostic, but either way the PS Bibles should help you reach your full potential. 

I tried studying Jan/Feb/March, but my job just can't allow me to focus on studying after I get home. I'm going to take the LSAT in June, but now I should have time to really study.

I have the PowerScore Bible for the Logic games, and thus far it's worth every penny. I don't realty have the time/money for a review course, so I'm doing self study.

I copped my books at Borders with a 40% off coupon which pop up damn near once a month for those looking around.

Dig up another thread (I think I started it?) about the LSAT, good info in there all together.

Back
Top Bottom