Beta Gamma Sigma/Phi Kappa Phi/Golden Key: Worth Joining?

I have received an invitation to join another honor society, Beta Gamma Sigma, but I don't know if I should. I am a member of Phi Kappa Phi and Golden Key and I haven't really seen many benefits to joining them so I'm scared of dropping another $75 for a stupid certificate. Is anyone a member of Beta or any of the other ones I mentioned, and are they worth it?

In some of those groups there are people who have influential families so their friendship could come in hand when looking for a good job.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Paying for friends = Fail..

And I don't buy that "networking" crap..

Not quite a frat. Worse its seems like a scam. Best bet is to join a real honor society at your own university.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Paying for friends = Fail..

And I don't buy that "networking" crap..
What don't you "buy" about the "networking crap" ?

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Waste of money, much like that "Who's Who" high school **!$%$*%.
This.

You don't pay dues or anything for a fraternity UNTIL you become a member.  You wouldn't have to drop any paper for a certificate as well.

Originally Posted by Nktran001

Candy cane swingers and feet "stompers", pass.

What school you at?
nerd.gif

First and foremost, the OP is talking about an honor society. Greek letters do not always mean an organization is a fraternity, or sorority.

Second, frats aren't for everyone. People have different ideas about them, hence different people join. Some organizations actually do promote life long brotherhood/sisterhood, while others are indeed a way to make a quick name on campus and win you some friends. Most times, people on the outside looking in merely group all of them into one category, hence we have the stereotype of "paying for friends". Which is BS in my opinion because more times than none, these people don't have any understanding of the organizations past, or principals.

But hey, who am I to tell you all how to perceive Greek life?

I joined BGS. You'll get plenty of annoying emails, but they also give you free magazine subscriptions like Forbes and some other stuff. Also, if you go to their induction thing when you join, you'll get some honor cords you can wear during your graduation, at least that's what one of my friends said.

No, No, and No.  The only honors society you ever want to join is Phi Beta Kappa, which is what you get if you get in the top 10 or 15% of your college class (too lazy to google it right now).  The rest are meaningless scams. Phi Beta Kappa has been recognized for over a century as legit, and all the big shots put it on their resumes.  Just browse any top law firm's website or smart people's wikipedia's pages and check people's qualifications.  They will put down Phi Beta Kappa if they made it and won't put any other honor's society down.  Employers and graduate schools uniformly recognize it as a gold star on your resume...the rest of the honors societies just let them know you're easily duped.  PBK is basically code for saying "I was at the top of my undergraduate class" without being a lame and listing your GPA/rank, and it pairs nicely with those Latin phrases (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude).

Originally Posted by iBlink

First and foremost, the OP is talking about an honor society. Greek letters do not always mean an organization is a fraternity, or sorority.

Second, frats aren't for everyone. People have different ideas about them, hence different people join. Some organizations actually do promote life long brotherhood/sisterhood, while others are indeed a way to make a quick name on campus and win you some friends. Most times, people on the outside looking in merely group all of them into one category, hence we have the stereotype of "paying for friends". Which is BS in my opinion because more times than none, these people don't have any understanding of the organizations past, or principals.

eyes.gif
Says the dude who was asking which house to join on NT.

Sorry guys but I was talking about a business honor society. I wanted to check with other people because I'm a member of two other honor societies and they are pretty much useless but this one seemed legit. Thanks to the one guy who is a member. If it's for the subscriptions, I guess I'll just do it.

Originally Posted by Beats05

No, No, and No.  The only honors society you ever want to join is Phi Beta Kappa, which is what you get if you get in the top 10 or 15% of your college class (too lazy to google it right now).  The rest are meaningless scams. Phi Beta Kappa has been recognized for over a century as legit, and all the big shots put it on their resumes.  Just browse any top law firm's website or smart people's wikipedia's pages and check people's qualifications.  They will put down Phi Beta Kappa if they made it and won't put any other honor's society down.  Employers and graduate schools uniformly recognize it as a gold star on your resume...the rest of the honors societies just let them know you're easily duped.  PBK is basically code for saying "I was at the top of my undergraduate class" without being a lame and listing your GPA/rank, and it pairs nicely with those Latin phrases (cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude).

Beta Gamma Sigma is the Phi Beta Kappa for business schools, to get invited to join you have to be the in the top 10% of your senior class or top 20% of your graduate school class.

lol @ some of yall going hard at frats/sororities off top. yall feel real strongly about them I see
laugh.gif

this is an Honor Society, not the same thing at all.

Reading Is Fundamental.

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa25

Originally Posted by Beats05

Beta Gamma Sigma is the Phi Beta Kappa for business schools, to get invited to join you have to be the in the top 10% of your senior class or top 20% of your graduate school class.

Yeah, that's what they boast about but I was just wondering if it is true, and on top of that, if it's worth it.

Originally Posted by Lex Starks

Originally Posted by iBlink

eyes.gif
Says the dude who was asking which house to join on NT.
laugh.gif
was seriously thinking the same thing...

Back
Top Bottom