Better career? Role player on Title team or HOF career without a ring?

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

in the end it's all about the ring.
Winning a ring being the main guy on the team =/= winning a ring being a role player.
We like to pretend it's the same but it's not, winning a ring involves so much that is out of your control and a fair bit of luck.

I guarantee you Charles Barkley, Chris Webber, Reggie Miller would rather be great and HOF, than Robert Horry cherry picking.

I'm pretty obsessive about winning, I'd take being a role player on a championship team. I see a few of you naming scrubs that have rings. Again,I'd rather be Derrick Fisher than Allen Iverson. Actually thats the only exception but I'm sure you get my point.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by THE SAUNA

HOF career with no ring, just ask randy brown which he'd rather have.
Unfortunately Randy now has neither.

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
BallinBoykz wrote:
Clutchshooter wrote:

Winning a ring being the main guy on the team =/= winning a ring being a role player.
We like to pretend it's the same but it's not, winning a ring involves so much that is out of your control and a fair bit of luck.

I guarantee you Charles Barkley, Chris Webber, Reggie Miller would rather be great and HOF, than Robert Horry cherry picking.

If I could figure out how to make the words even bigger then this, I would. G T F O O H with that bull sh*^.

Cherry picking my a^^.

This dude is straight NBA lore for decades upon decades. I don't care what none of ya'll say, this man has as many clutch NBA playoff moments as ANYplayer in the history of the game.

And people talkin about he'll be forgotten, or cherry picking.
indifferent.gif

Did he get an extra ring or two? Sure. Did he win his rookie year? Yes. And his second year? Yes. And did he go to a team that was winning chips all thetime? No. Did he join the team, suffer for a couple seasons, then grow and earn 3 chips? Yes, he did. And then he got a couple extra in San Antonio. Buthit CLUTCH daggers in those series to earn them rings.

Unbelievable the way some people think around here. I feel sad for all of you.
tired.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Osh Kosh Bosh wrote:
BallinBoykz wrote:
Clutchshooter wrote:

If I could figure out how to make the words even bigger then this, I would. G T F O O H with that bull sh*^.

Cherry picking my a^^.

This dude is straight NBA lore for decades upon decades. I don't care what none of ya'll say, this man has as many clutch NBA playoff moments as ANY player in the history of the game.

And people talkin about he'll be forgotten, or cherry picking.
indifferent.gif

Did he get an extra ring or two? Sure. Did he win his rookie year? Yes. And his second year? Yes. And did he go to a team that was winning chips all the time? No. Did he join the team, suffer for a couple seasons, then grow and earn 3 chips? Yes, he did. And then he got a couple extra in San Antonio. But hit CLUTCH daggers in those series to earn them rings.

Unbelievable the way some people think around here. I feel sad for all of you.
tired.gif

Exactly that is what I call cherry picking.
laugh.gif

I never said bad about Horry, you projected these thoughts on me and assumed that's what I believe.
laugh.gif

Robert Horry a good player and deserves all of his rings, but the fact remains he is a just a GOOD player. That's it, that's all he just happen to bevery lucky to be in the position to win them.

Charles, Webber, and Reggie were GREAT players, nobody can ever take that away from them, TEAMS win championship not single players and them not winning one ismerely a function of luck and bad timing.

I have no problem with Horry but the idea that he should be in the hall of fame is absolutely foolish.

[h3]HOF career without a ring > Role player on Title team[/h3]

Charles Barkley>Robert Horry

Karl Malone>James Posey

Patrick Ewing>Mark Madsen

John Stockton>Steve Kerr

Reggie Miller>Toni Kukoc

Yes, all the players on the left are better than the players on the right.

That's obvious.

Obviously, a Hall of Famer is better than a role player.

The question is not 'Which is better: a Hall of Famer without a ring or a role player with a ring?'

The question is... which would you rather be? Which had a better career?

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

[h3]HOF career without a ring > Role player on Title team[/h3]

Charles Barkley>Robert Horry

Karl Malone>James Posey

Patrick Ewing>Mark Madsen

John Stockton>Steve Kerr

Reggie Miller>Toni Kukoc

I would rather have a ring. I am sure that these players did not just come to the league to play ball only. For some of them who dipped out on college early topursure the pros probably missed out on getting a degree, so a ring to me would satisfy that, sort of an accomplishment and that they didn't play ball invain. Plus you can't knock some of these players that aren't superstars, if it wasn't for Steve Kerr's and Jud Buschler's 3-pointers, if itwasn't for, as much as I hate to say it, Powe stepping up in the Finals last year, and if it wasn't for these no name players not making a key play,most of the Champions wouldn't be able to were that title.

Robert Horry is a perfect example of great timing.

Mind you, he's a very accomplished player and rightfully so. Dude has made HUGE shots and been a contributor to every championship team he's been on.But just let this sit in your head for a second...

Horry came into the league, won his first two rings in the Jordan-less NBA (94-95 doesn't really count, as 95-96 clearly proves
laugh.gif
)

Then, for the next 3 years, Robert Horry saw no sign of that Championship game. Soon as Mike left, Horry went right back to winning chips with championshipteams. His ability that guys like Barkley never had? He wasn't SUPPOSED to be a star. He was a role player. So he could leave his team yearly to sign withGREAT teams and be a role guy. Payton and Malone tried this, but it didn't work.

In all reality, Pat Ewing, Charles Barkley, John Stockon, Karl Malone, etc can all blame one person for their not having rings... Mr. Jordan. Robert Horry waslucky enough to squeeze two in while he was gone, and then out last him and play after he retired.

Like I said, I respect Horry, but just ponder that for a second.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Robert Horry is a perfect example of great timing.

Mind you, he's a very accomplished player and rightfully so. Dude has made HUGE shots and been a contributor to every championship team he's been on. But just let this sit in your head for a second...

Horry came into the league, won his first two rings in the Jordan-less NBA (94-95 doesn't really count, as 95-96 clearly proves
laugh.gif
)

Then, for the next 3 years, Robert Horry saw no sign of that Championship game. Soon as Mike left, Horry went right back to winning chips with championship teams. His ability that guys like Barkley never had? He wasn't SUPPOSED to be a star. He was a role player. So he could leave his team yearly to sign with GREAT teams and be a role guy. Payton and Malone tried this, but it didn't work.

In all reality, Pat Ewing, Charles Barkley, John Stockon, Karl Malone, etc can all blame one person for their not having rings... Mr. Jordan. Robert Horry was lucky enough to squeeze two in while he was gone, and then out last him and play after he retired.

Like I said, I respect Horry, but just ponder that for a second.

Also ponder that if his 3 went in in 2003 they could have won another title.

Or if Fisher's .4 hadn't gone in, he could have another one there too.

So Horry was this close to having NINE rings, instead of 7.
wink.gif

But Chuck and Karl are better cuz they scored a lot of regular season points. Ok.

Oh and one more just for fun

Chuck and Karl were great, but let's not act like Mike is the only reason they never got a ring.

20+ years in the NBA, only 3 total trips to the finals.
wink.gif

It wasn't like Mike was beatin em every damn year, they had plenty of seasons to lead their teams to the promised land, but it never happened.

Oh, and for all the "Mike don't lose in the finals, 6 for 6"............

Bob Horry ain't never lost in the finals neither. 7 for 7.
pimp.gif

TEAMS win chapinships, in fact 1 out of 30 teams every year. Winning a championship involves so many things that are outside of Chucks control.

The fact that Horry won 7 is merely dumb luck.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

TEAMS win chapinships, in fact 1 out of 30 teams every year. Winning a championship involves so many things that are outside of Chucks control.

The fact that Horry won 7 is merely dumb luck.

Once is luck. Twice could be lucky. 7 f in times is a got damn pattern man.

And as I said, he was inches away from 9. Luck ain't got nothin to do with it.

Dude should have his own wing in the HOF.
pimp.gif

honestly, how special is it to win a ring when you only play 15 min a game? i'd take the HOF career, knowing for my era I was among the best in myprofession.

Back
Top Bottom