Big gap between NCAA Tourney teams who graduate white & black players....

Because the majority of black athletes are recruited based primarily on their athleticism and in turn have the ability to reach the professional levels. When this is apparent to those athletes, they leave school early to fulfill their dream.

A big portion of white athletes on the college level know they don't have what it takes, or know that it would be a battle for them to get to that level so they finish school to get there degree.

It's usually not that cut and dry and there are ALWAYS exceptions, but that's a huge part of it right there.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Why do you think this is? 

Bob Huggins
roll.gif
smh.gif

kenyonmartin.jpg

basically black dudes dont care about their education...they're in school to play ball and that's it.

i dont think the early entrants make that big of a difference...there' over 300 D-1 schools and each school has at least 12 players on the roster....at the most there's 100 early entry candidates per year, so i dont think that's the issue.

i was an assistant coach for a year at jackson state and the entire SWAC conference NEVER has early entry candidates and the grad rates are probably the same as BCS schools.

it just boils down to a lot of black athletes dont value the free education, and they're letting the universities pimp them for their athletic abilities.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Let's be honest, how many white kids are capable of being early entrants to the draft?

What is the % of black players to white in general to begin with? Because transfers hurt graduation rates is as well.

Graduation rates are always skewed.

In the end, some programs do it the right way, some don't..regardless of race. Just so happens the majority of players are black.
Agreed. Any young man with a brain knows that if you work you @!# for basketball and get in the draft your life gets easier. I'm all for finishing an education, but the point of getting the degree is GETTIN STACKS of money. If you can get that in 1 year than whats the point of staying in school

Originally Posted by Kobefan23

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

Just wondering, if it wasn't for sports, would a majority of these black players even be able to go to these colleges? The answer may help understand the phenomena behind the study.

This.

The whole "more black players are going to the NBA" accounts for a LITTLE bit, but not much.

65 teams x 12 players=780 players. Black players make up 60 percent of NCAA ball (although I would presume that percentage is higher for tournament bound teams).

So using the 60 percent number, approximately 468 of these players are black. Even if we assume 60 will be NBA draft picks, there are still players from small, non-tourney schools, int'l players, white players, black players who got their degrees,etc. That only puts a small dent in that percentage.

I think it has more to do w/the fact that many of these black players come from poor communities w/out proper schooling or networks of support and would have little chance at attending a major university normally...
Yeah, I think that's right - the NBA number will have very little effect - it's the minority of players who go pro. Most guys will just drop out of college due to academic pressures or financial troubles - even though they have a scholarship there is probably pressure to get a job at home.

Back
Top Bottom