Big gap between NCAA Tourney teams who graduate white & black players....

Interesting.....and it seems like the gap is widening.  Why do you think this is? 

Nothing better than talking about race here on NT
pimp.gif
  have at it....

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A new study finds the disparity between graduation rates for white and black players on NCAA tournament-bound men's basketball teams grew this year.

The annual report released Monday by The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida shows 45 teams graduated 70 percent or more of their white players. But only 20 teams graduated at least 70 percent of their black players.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=4997358

Let's be honest, how many white kids are capable of being early entrants to the draft?

What is the % of black players to white in general to begin with? Because transfers hurt graduation rates is as well.

Graduation rates are always skewed.

In the end, some programs do it the right way, some don't..regardless of race. Just so happens the majority of players are black.

Its easy...the black kids that are good leave early for the NBA or dont make it and head overseas...the white kids get their degree cuz thats how they will make their living

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

Its easy...the black kids that are good leave early for the NBA or dont make it and head overseas...the white kids get their degree cuz thats how they will make their living

came in here to post this... 

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Let's be honest, how many white kids are capable of being early entrants to the draft?

What is the % of black players to white in general to begin with? Because transfers hurt graduation rates is as well.

Graduation rates are always skewed.

In the end, some programs do it the right way, some don't..regardless of race. Just so happens the majority of players are black.

that right there

Just wondering, if it wasn't for sports, would a majority of these black players even be able to go to these colleges? The answer may help understand the phenomena behind the study.

Originally Posted by I HIT LICKS

No offense but, I knew you made this thread before I clicked on it.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
no offense taken.....

however, even with many black players opting for professional basketball before they graduate, those #'s are still kinda alamring.  There are a lot of socio-economic factors that come into play when decisions are made on whether to stay/leave school, but I'd like to see a study done on how many of those guys who don't graduate (regardless of race) are actually playing basketball professionally. 

Like dudes posted above, a lot of the black players make it to the L or at least overseas. Another thing you gotta look at is economic background of these kids. You take a kid out the projects that is only in college to play ball, versus some suburban white kid that was going to go to college anyway.

But at the same time, brothers need to take better advantage of the situation. You got a free education, make the most of it. Even if school ain't your thing, get that degree.

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

Just wondering, if it wasn't for sports, would a majority of these black players even be able to go to these colleges? The answer may help understand the phenomena behind the study.

Agreed!

I'm just shocked that it took DJs until mid-afternoon to post this....

Would have been perfect for one of your patented attempted thought-provoking early AM topics...

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

This.

The whole "more black players are going to the NBA" accounts for a LITTLE bit, but not much.

65 teams x 12 players=780 players. Black players make up 60 percent of NCAA ball (although I would presume that percentage is higher for tournament bound teams).

So using the 60 percent number, approximately 468 of these players are black. Even if we assume 60 will be NBA draft picks, there are still players from small, non-tourney schools, int'l players, white players, black players who got their degrees,etc. That only puts a small dent in that percentage.

I think it has more to do w/the fact that many of these black players come from poor communities w/out proper schooling or networks of support and would have little chance at attending a major university normally...

I think it has more to do w/the fact that many of these black players come from poor communities w/out proper schooling or networks of support and would have little chance at attending a major university normally...

basically

Originally Posted by DLo13

Would have been perfect for one of your patented attempted thought-provoking early AM topics...
laugh.gif
  I was too busy this AM to make any type of thread....I got another one coming up in a bit
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DLo13

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
black people suck. Tomorrow it's gonna be a study about how "even though they only make up 12.5% of the population, black people account for 78% of the occasions where somebody peed and left the toilet seat up, compared to 11% for white people."

Back
Top Bottom