Big L...is overrated by a lot of people

I agree with literally everything that the OP wrote. Excellent topic and post.
Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

Vastly overrated by the hardcore fan, generally unrecognized by the casual. It's a two way street.

*waits for MEB*
On point; I agree.
Originally Posted by Dapper D

Vastly overrated by the hardcore fan, generally unrecognized by the casual. It's a two way street.

*waits for MEB*

Yeah ur right...
But what I fell what happens a lto of the time is that Ns is sheep...
The casual fan hears about him being underrated...so they want to jump on that boat(to be on some cool %@%$)..without really knowing %@%$..so much that they overate the N'...
Exactly. The cats that were up on L when he was alive generally recognize him for what he was- a great "battle rapper," nice with thewords, excellent freestyler, and one great album. On the other hand, dudes who get up on L and hear he was "underrated" after he died often want toelevate this cat into something that he was not... an elite MC.
Originally Posted by TheBachellor

Let me ask you a question. Put Big L and Biggie in a room and ask them to come up with a 16. Who would come out with a hotter verse?

If you say Biggie, you're fooling yourself.
smh.gif

Do you even know what dudes were rapping like in 93-95? NO ONE was rapping like L back then. You're comparing him to everyone who bit his style now. You have to look at it in the time context.

L murked every free-verse he was asked to do. Now as far as "Top 10 artists" or "Artists with top 10 catalogues", he might not be on those lists. But as far as pure, raw TALENT? Top 10 at LEAST.
First of all, what in the hell does that hypothetical situation have to do with anything? Second, it's a lie to state that no one was rappinglike Big L when he was alive because Finesse was "rapping like L" before L was rapping like L. OK so he was a hell of a freestyler... and...?

And Top 10 in talent?
laugh.gif
. That's honestly hilarious.

I don't see anybody fronting on dudes talent. I've always said on this forum that when it comes to pure talent and potential BIG, Pun and L were in a class by themselves.
I am "fronting" on L's "talent." This dude did a few things very well and a whole lot of things poorly... he was anexcellent freestyler, had great punchlines/wit, and had a nice delivery. On the other hand, he was a terrible storyteller, had a simple rhyme scheme, aone-dimensional flow/delivery, and lacked the ability to effectively evoke emotion or make "deep" songs... I just don't see how he was sotalented. Better than average? Yes. Good? Yes. Great? Probably not. Elite? Certainly not.
Originally Posted by M16

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

with the way that dude defends vinnie paz, i didnt even want to start a thread like this but im glad you did and i totally agree ...

Come on son, Big L was talking about that Norman Bates, killing moms, horror-core jazz before Em ever seen a Mic. Big L was absolutely a pioneer. He single handedly invented Horror-Core as a sub-genre with "Devils Son"

Big L just a punchline rapper ?
indifferent.gif

Go listen to Street Struck, I Don't Understand It, Fed Up with BS... etc.

2nd to none story telling except for maybe Kool G Rap... Clinic, The Heist, Casualties Of A Dice Game
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Untouchable flow, again, except for maybe G Rap and Pun. Dude had EVERYTHING down. All that was left was for him to grow as an artist, and he was obviously robbed of that chance.

throw 'em L's up
571808182nv8.gif
No he did not single-handedly create "horror-core." G Rap and Nas were on that tip before L was, you should know that... Even if hedid, I don't know how much of a pioneer that makes him; I mean how many well-respected MCs actually utilize that type of content on a regular basis?

As for L's storytelling "ability," I'm not quite sure what you are actually hearing in those tracks other than extremely simplistic storiesexecuted in even more unremarkable fashion. L has to be one of the worst storytellers among "respected" MCs.

His flow was good but extremely basic and one-dimensional... I'm not sure how you're putting him with the likes of G Rap and Pun, not to mention Busta,Snoop, BIG, and others whose flows were much more diverse and unique.
Originally Posted by iLLscan

Originally Posted by M16

outshined everyone in DITC
Lifestylez is NOT a better album than Word.......Life. Not even close. I'll take Jewelz over Lifestylez. Big Picture had way, way, way to many recycled verses to even be considered a real album.
I like Big L & all, but...........
I agree 100%

Originally Posted by red mpls

First of all, what in the hell does that hypothetical situation have to do with anything? Second, it's a lie to state that no one was rapping like Big L when he was alive because Finesse was "rapping like L" before L was rapping like L. OK so he was a hell of a freestyler... and...?

And Top 10 in talent?
laugh.gif
. That's honestly hilarious
I agree 100%

Just the fact that you avoided that question proves to me that you know the answer but won't say it because it will go against your point.
laugh.gif

As a LYRICIST, pure raw lyrical talent... name 10 emcees better than L. I dare you. If I see Biggie, Pac, or Jay on that list (and I know you'll have atleast one of them), your opinion in this forum is void and null.

Your whole post is !%@%!*%@. You don't know what you're talking about at ALL.

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

On the other hand, he was a terrible storyteller, had a simple rhyme scheme, a one-dimensional flow/delivery

please log out forever
tired.gif

have you actually heard a Big L song?

Basically.

Originally Posted by Dapper D

First of all big l was a great rapper…
A top 30 rapper…probably (somewhere in the late 20s)
But a top 10 or 5 or greatest of all time (which that kid meb likes to say) is just laughable to me…

you must be out of your mind. I'm curious to know who's your top 5

*waits for MEB*
that sums it up. i think big l was ill no Messiah or anything. but at the same time i know people who i could be like whats your favorite big ltrack and they'll look at me like who?

If you like Big L's style enough, you'll appreciate his albums

If you aren't that big of a fans, you could have a worse perception of his albms

I think its more of the cultural impact that he had on his time, for NY hip hop heads

Dude staged a takeover the same way Biggie and Nas did, but BEFORE THEM.

You gotta learn to evaluate an artist based off more than his albums and wordplay there is an art to this *!%@!

Originally Posted by itsphillthy

I think its more of the cultural impact that he had on his time, for NY hip hop heads

Dude staged a takeover the same way Biggie and Nas did, but BEFORE THEM.

You gotta learn to evaluate an artist based off more than his albums and wordplay there is an art to this *!%@!
No it wasn't. The COC movement in Harlem was '94 for the most part. Nas and Big already had albums out. The year later when L's albumdropped he was still mainly an NY figure, the next 4 years he wasn't really having no takeover. It's not a badthing but for the most part L was an underground rapper during that time. Had he lived longer I def see him getting his shot in 2000.

Yeah, he was always more underground but there's no denying dude had NYC on lock while he was alive. No rapper on Earth was touching him on the mic.

my fault on that one.

but there's no question he had the underground on fire at that time.

which was a pivotal point in hip hop, when NYC was on top.

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

A good punchline rapper..........and thats it
so easy to say that now...so many people jacked his flow that it makes it look unoriginal

but Big L Birthed what we know now as "da punchline rapper" son was just out rappin all his peers in his era includin a young jay-z and a young nas.

imagine if he would've gotten to really grind in his prime...

I have children of the corn and life style..rich n poor on my itunes....... and have yet to ear either.

i need to peep

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

On the other hand, he was a terrible storyteller, had a simple rhyme scheme, a one-dimensional flow/delivery

please log out forever
tired.gif

have you actually heard a Big L song?

%+$$ u talking about N'...hes right...
Especially about his rhyme scheme...

I think he gets overrated because people get sucked into the "what he couldve been" mentality.

I feel that he certainly was a NY legend and one of the best doing it in NY while he was making music. He put out some good music, some great, and The BigPicture was extremely well put together by those involved. Still, he had everything you needed to become a superstar in rap. And he was well on his way withthe Roc and all that.

He's much appreciated and still very enjoyable to hear.

Back
Top Bottom