Big L...is overrated by a lot of people

First of all big l was a great rapper…
A top 30 rapper…probably (somewhere in the late 20s)
But a top 10 or 5 or greatest of all time (which that kid meb likes to say) is just laughable to me…

He was a battle rap punch line rapper whose stock rise when he died…
To me he's know better than a jadakiss…
he's never made classic all time music…
Lifestyle of da poor and dangerous is good…damn sure not great or classic especially in that era…
That album was released in 95 and sounds like some !*%! that came out in 92…

He really doesn't have any unforgettable songs …Only songs that people bring up as classic (considering the era he was in) was the enemy and Ebonics…
He was a 2nd tier rapper in his era and It shows…his rhymes really didn't have any type of depth considering that he was in the era of a complex jay, Nasand posdinous.
He didn't have the attention to detail that a biggie or prodigy had and he really couldn't touch you in the heart like a tupac or a scarface could.
He also had a really basic rhyme scheme…he would rhyme blocks socks, rocks etc…or "I got a cutie wit a smooth bootie" or say !*%! like "BattlesI lose none I make crews run
I get fools done, got ten fingers but only use one"
!*%! that would work in rap battles…but sound really elemntray in songs
Hell even his punch lines aged horribly to me …
"Ask beavies I get nothing but head"…
grin.gif
N please..

So why do I think he was so overhyped?
It's a mixture of him being the only dude from harlem, actually be pretty nice and witty, having a nice underground base wit him, and him dying.
I remember being a kid (95 or 96) and a old head putting me on to his !*%! and me being amazed…but now that I'm older his lyrics don't do nothing forme …(this happens wit a lot rappers who base their career off of punchlines)

Hell if u think I'm wrong put some song or verses up…lord knows I got a ton backing my claim up…

Vastly overrated by the hardcore fan, generally unrecognized by the casual. It's a two way street.

*waits for MEB*

Chills homie, dude was far beyond his time.

He may not have MANY unforgettable songs but a majority of his verses are.

His talent %$*%# on most of people's top 10 lyricists, outside of NYC he isn't that well known though.

R.I.P.

I still think he's a great. No matter what, he'll still be called another punchline rapper. But son only dropped 1 lp while alive, personally i thinkhis talent was infinite. He was better than cam, mase, mcgruff and bloodshed in C.O.C., and better than everyone in D.I.T.C. I feel like young gets a terriblelabel slapped on him for lack of material. He shined on every collabo he did, word to jay. He's top five to me.

Originally Posted by StarkyL0ve

Vastly overrated by the hardcore fan, generally unrecognized by the casual. It's a two way street.

*waits for MEB*

Yeah ur right...
But what I fell what happens a lto of the time is that Ns is sheep...
The casual fan hears about him being underrated...so they want to jump on that boat(to be on some cool %@%$)..without really knowing %@%$..so much that theyoverate the N'...

At the end of the day, I'll take Finesse and his entire body of work over L. Unfortunately we'll never be blessed by the infinite amount of classicmaterial son could of laced us with. At the end of the day, another L for hip hop.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Dapper D

Ns is sheep...
The casual fan hears about _____________...so they want to jump on that boat(to be on some cool %@%$)..without really knowing %@%$..so much that they overate ________________
My dude, this basically accounts for 90% of the music forum.

I agree with StarkyL0ve.

All I really want to say is dude's career is a big "What if?" I know it's not HIS fault, but if Jada died back then or hell Banks/Cassidyetc. (Same vein) at that point in their career it be the same result.

with the way that dude defends vinnie paz, i didnt even want to start a thread like this but im glad you did and i totally agree ...

The man was a good lyricist, but perhaps in the long run couldn't make great albums or songs

*Update*
Just listened to Platinum Plus again, gotta say....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But really - what's up with this younger generation of hip hop fans always tryin' to take swipes at certified legends?

Lamont was a problem, and if Dame woulda got him on the Roc like he was tryin' - the game would be different now.

He's a pioneer of the NY style of rap that still lives on today...dudes are still goin' into songs with his flow, style, wordplay without evennoticing...and his hood storytelling is ******ed. There's always 1 from every borough that you can tell will be on top of the competition and he was thatfor harlem like Jay was for BK and Nas for Queens...except Jay had to switch his whole swag up and borrow off his people to get acclaim. All that fastrappin' he was doin' was straight trash.

I agree that he's over rated by many....but Lifestylez is a hands down classic album to me.

Its close to a perfect album IMO.

See when people start labeling him a pioneer I gotta disagree. If you ask me, Finesse was the pioneer. L took HIS style, flow, worldplay, etc and to a certainextent, did it all better.

Either way, DITC was one hell of a crew.

Originally Posted by Twig1026

He's a pioneer of the NY style of rap that still lives on today...dudes are still goin' into songs with his flow, style, wordplay without even noticing...and his hood storytelling is ******ed. There's always 1 from every borough that you can tell will be on top of the competition and he was that for harlem like Jay was for BK and Nas for Queens...except Jay had to switch his whole swag up and borrow off his people to get acclaim. All that fast rappin' he was doin' was straight trash.

Big L got his stye from Lord Finese sooo...

He's a pioneer of the NY style of rap that still lives on today...dudes are still goin' into songs with his flow, style, wordplay without even noticing...and his hood storytelling is ******ed. There's always 1 from every borough that you can tell will be on top of the competition and he was that for harlem like Jay was for BK and Nas for Queens...except Jay had to switch his whole swag up and borrow off his people to get acclaim. All that fast rappin' he was doin' was straight trash.

sooo...why isn't Lord Finesse considered with the greats...its cool if you can take what someones doing and put your own swing to it. Lord Finesse may havebeen doing that but were they saying the same rhymes? Dudes can rap like Jay but can they write a verse like him? Or piece together a song like him? Style,lyricism, flow, delivery, whatever you wanna call it...its unique

sooo...why isn't Lord Finesse considered with the greats...its cool if you can take what someones doing and put your own swing to it. Lord Finesse may have been doing that but were they saying the same rhymes? Dudes can rap like Jay but can they write a verse like him? Or piece together a song like him? Style, lyricism, flow, delivery, whatever you wanna call it...its unique

Lord Finese is still alive...

First, Big L is dope. The guy was a problem on the mic. No questions asked.

Second, he is not a Top 10 or 20 rapper. Why? It has nothing to do with his skills. In my opinion, his body of work is so limited that it makes it hard to makethe case for "legend" status. He was well on his way to being a legend, but sadly we all know how that ended.

And don't front like "The Big Picture" was THAT nice. There are classics tracks and verses, but some of those songs are definitely skip-worthy."Lifestylez" on the other hand is pretty much greatness front to back.

sooo...why isn't Lord Finesse considered with the greats...its cool if you can take what someones doing and put your own swing to it. Lord Finesse may have been doing that but were they saying the same rhymes? Dudes can rap like Jay but can they write a verse like him? Or piece together a song like him? Style, lyricism, flow, delivery, whatever you wanna call it...its unique

Lord Finese is still alive...
Big L isnt...
I think that has a lot to do wit it...
For the record it might sound like i'm bashing him...and im not trying to do that...
It just bugs me when people want to give him that goat spot...Like are we listening to the same N'...

Back
Top Bottom