Bigger Impact: Michael Jackson or J.K Rowling??

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

DoubleJs07 wrote:
Originally Posted by enlightendespot

Sorry if I came across as stating my opinion as fact, if I did.
I meant the percentages of numbers, like if MJ had 30 million followers in 1985, that most def surpasses 30 mil in 2011. With all the venues that are available to artists today. I think you would agree that it is easier to reach more people today than it has ever been. You said it is generational and it is, the internet generation.

As far as things being generational, you have to understand there there are MILLIONS of people in 2011 (kids/teens/young adults) who don't understand OR care for Michael Jackson and the "impact" he had in the entertainment industry. 
That's just not true Millions of kids do know who MJ was and his impact on the world. Thriller is the biggest selling album of all time, having that kind of success doesn't limit you to one generation.
You're missing the point. 

In your life and those around you, what's The Beatles impact?  For as great as they were, there are millions of people who just don't care.  Same can be said for MJ.  Again, it's generational.  MJ's impact with some kids/teens/young adults in 2011 will be FAR less than what it would have been if this was the 1980's.  %*%%...there are probably kids now who think more highly of Justin Bieber's impact than MJ.  It all goes back to things being generational. 

Michael Jordan doesn't even have a bigger impact than MJ, so you know JK doesn't.

Not even sure how this is even being debated. And I real all the books.

Originally Posted by FedExciter

i never seen anybody cry at a harry potter book release, im just sayin
Have you been to a harry potter book release?

I think people are misinterpreting the spirit of the question. Impact doesn't mean whether they made people cry or not, that's a ridiculous gauge of effect. Also, this is not a MJ vs. J.K Rowling (the person) book, it is M.J versus her legacy (the Harry Potter series). Who she particularly is is not really the point. It doesn't make sense to say MJ vs. Harry Potter series.

There is not a single place in Africa people wouldn't know of Harry Potter? The books were released in 200 countries, in 70 different languages.

Impact just means the global recognition, fanfare, and interest in one or the other. I think books have a longer legacy than music or movies. For example, the Titanic is the #2 grossing film of all time but people under 21 in foreign countries have a very slim chance of knowing about the movie. Not comparing it parallel with an artist, but the correlation is similar.

MJ impacted say 300 million people (either listened to, cared about him, or were in some way attached to him). JKR impacted prolly closer to 800 million people (either read the books, cared about the books, or watched the movies). These are not 'fact' numbers, just my estimate based on album sales vs. books sold/movies watched.

It's like knowing who the Beatles are, but not being impacted by them. That really doesn't count. There has to be an active participation in the artist, or in the literary works for a person to be 'impacted' by it.

I guess the argument for MJ is that his music was more inspirational/meaningful to an individual than the HP book series was to an individual. Personally, I have never been impacted by any music, movie, or book moreso than Harry Potter. It is the book I grew from a teenager to an adult with.

I feel like this is a wash.
Both of their impacts are *$%$*@+ huge.

Worst comparison ever
ohwell.gif

Countries were kids can't afford books know who MJ is

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by FedExciter

i never seen anybody cry at a harry potter book release, im just sayin
Have you been to a harry potter book release?

no, but i never been anywhere MJ was but i still seen people crying over him, the internet and television are wonderful things

FedExciter wrote:

FedExciter wrote:
i never seen anybody cry at a harry potter book release, im just sayinHave you been to a harry potter book release?

no, but i never been anywhere MJ was but i still seen people crying over him, the internet and television are wonderful things

I agree, but how often do you search for/find items online that involve Rowling?

It could just be a matter of exposure.

When Michael Jackson died, the internet damn near crashed. Google, Google News, Twitter, TMZ, Wikipedia, AIM, other sites crashed. Doubt it would've happened with JK Rowling.

The fact that this thread was even made baffles me. I didin't even know who JK Rowling was until I googled her. Mike surpasses her as having a bigger impact.

Originally Posted by whiterails

Originally Posted by undefinedinc

10 fold?  No.

Whichever way it leans towards (MJ or Rowlings), the numbers are close.

I would love to see these statistics your getting to show the numbers are close
And your statistics for "10 folds" are...??
Common sense

Originally Posted by whiterails

I would love to see these statistics your getting to show the numbers are close
And your statistics for "10 folds" are...??
Common sense
Ah I see.
I's okay for you to pull numbers out of your !#@, but other people need to provide statistics.   

I'll keep that in mind.

Michael Jackson STILL impacts most people .... Most people from the age of 5 - 85 can identify with his music, know a line from a song off the top, or just know the man generally... seriously can't say the same about JK rowling.... Harry Potter is a more recognizable name than JK Rowling.

So I'm rolling with MJ

MJ.. His music is universal and actually brought a lot off ppl together culturally. He has raised millions, if not billions, of dollars for charities. Just to name a few reasons.

Regardless of generation...I don't think you could compare J.K's impact to Michael's...she's not close

Mike
ALOT OF Charity for 3rd world and Changed the music industry

Jk Rowling
GOT A GENERATION of kids into reading which lead to things like twilight to have the success they do now. She created a world of magic and imagination equal to or better then the Lord of the rings.

Back
Top Bottom