Biggest Hops in the city? 6'3'' HS player with nearly 50 inch vertical?

Discussion in 'MD/DC/VA' started by ramzs8906, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ramzs8906

ramzs8906

So I was reading yesterday's post late last night and I came across this article in the Sports section:

Anacostia Ace Is Still Flying Beneath theRecruiters' Radar

It's a pretty decent read, but I'll break down the cliffnotes, and I'll see if anyone else is as confused as me.

CLIFFNOTES
    Travon Smith is a 6'3'' guard playing for the Anacostia Indians

He first basketball player in AHS basketball history to amass over 1200 points

Averages 15 points and 10 rebounds a game.

Rumored to have nearly a 50 inch vertical leap

He also runs track for AHS, and has won two of the past three DCIAA outdoor track championships (he won with a jump of 6 feet 4 inches last year).

He has NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA scholarships offers to play basketball or run track to any school across the country.
    (And by the way, that's with him having a 3.8 GPA and being primed to graduate as the valedictorian at his school this year[​IMG])

Video of him dunking, (hard to really see if he's anywherenear 50 inches though.)

2. dcshoechick

dcshoechick

Yeah, I read this yesterday. Dude has no offers for basketball cuz he has no skill for the position he's really supposed to play. Colleges are not tryingto teach anyone the basics.

3. cmoneymontana

cmoneymontana

He has some hops, but it looks like thats all he has.

Alot of local talent is going D-1 this year.

Check for my lil homie Rashad Beam @ Lackey. One of the better players in the area.

And big ups to my HS (TC Williams) trying to repeat as VA state champs, and to Tierra-Ruffin Pratt for signing to UNC, and making the McDonalds All AmericaTeam.

4. ramzs8906

ramzs8906

Yeah, I read that as far as the basketball is concerned.... but no offers for track either? It's not like dude is a head case... well in terms of how muchof a head case someone with a 3.8 GPA can be...

And I mean, if he's getting 15 a game based strictly off getting in the lane, someone has to give him a look, he's not the first one who had no shotwhen he got to college... Rajon Rondo is a great example...

5. cmoneymontana

cmoneymontana

Rajon Rondo also went to Oak Hill, which game him more national exposure, against the best high school talent.

Unless he puts together some highlights or something, he will end up at a D-2 school, or Jr. college.

Plus nowadays, its not what you do during the season that gets you exposed, its what you do in the AAU circuit.

6. destination kicks

destination kicks

After watching that video... no way he jumped 50".

7. malikdagoat

malikdagoat

a 50 inch vertical?? based on that video he's at 32 at most. I have a 28 vertical and i'm 6'1 and he doesn't get up that much higher then Ido....do you know how high a 50 inch vertical would be? son would be able to look DOWN at the rim..then dunk.

8. doublejs07

doublejs07

What else can he do besides dunk? You need more than a supposed 50 inch vert to get that scholarship...dude should have concentrated on football...

9. ramzs8906

ramzs8906

Im sayingm dude cant get ant track scholarship looks... Hopefully his grades get him into a better than average school (see: majority of HBCUs [from a HBCUstudent]).