Black Google Engineer "Google hires the whitest black candidates"

For those that dont want to read she's basically saying Google only hires the cornball brothas word to Rob Parker. Those that have been in the startup/tech scene should know about how these companies do when they talk about "cultural fit"

https://atlantablackstar.com/2019/0...iant-only-picks-the-whitest-black-candidates/

“This is my problem. I feel like they hire the whitest black candidate,” the California native opined. “They hire someone who’s exactly like them, but Black.”

Google reported the percentage of Black and Latino hires rose 0.7 percent to 4.8 percent globally and 0.5 percent to 6.8 percent in the U.S.
Significant progress, but there is still room to grow.

The "whitest black candidates" is inherently racist sounds like self hatred.
Please define "acting white". Do they use proper grammar and syntax?

My question would be how many of us are actually working in IT or even stem jobs for that matter. My guess would be not very many and those that do I don’t expect necessarily be what she’s trying to describe.

This is something I don't understand about a lot of black people. The same people that tell us that black people aren't a monolith, they don't all think the same, do the same I think and there's not one way to be black, etc. are the same ones that tell us that companies like Google are hiring "the whitest black people". Saying there are "white black people" implies that these black people aren't black enough, aren't lock step with mainstream Black culture, etc.

Black people can be conservative, be Republican, listen to death metal rock music, wear Birkenstocks, go hiking, watch anime, etc. Thinking independently and being who you want to be naturally doesn't make them any less black.

Last edited:
This is a real paradox that exist within our culture. Without a doubt, I think it's insulting, small-minded, and overall reductive thinking to consider someone "acting white"...Which as undermines our ability to be articulate, expressive and explore our God-given identity. But at the same time, there are some African Americans who do not associate with other Blacks, or stick their nose up at the "Black Experience".

This holds true consequence in a corporate setting as well. There is the Black that isn't a "cultural fit" because they're not as "polished" as other African Americans.

Google has tons of employees in non technical roles as well as other tech companies

As someone who lives in the bay.. Have you met tech guys, engineers? They're nerdy, weird dudes in the first place.. Not saying this isn't true, but many engineers I've met NT wouldn't approve them as "cool", regardless of race

I mean. We all know this. And again, STOP BEGGING these companies to be more diverse. Start our own s****. Stop expecting companies ran and created by white people, to be diverse.

Create our own, and call it a day.
this.
she just described corporate America and how one makes it in corporate America.
in order to move up you have to shuck and jive and be a **** or you have to be gay. That's what it feels like. Its damn near like they look at black straight men as a threat.
No disrespect to gay ppl but the powers that be are using gay black men as pawns...like trinkets and **** like see? We do accept black ppl!! Look at him, hes black!
But only *allowed* to advance because of the *perceived* lack of threat from white ppl in power. Smhhh.

Last edited:
As someone who lives in the bay.. Have you met tech guys, engineers? They're nerdy, weird dudes in the first place.. Not saying this isn't true, but many engineers I've met NT wouldn't approve them as "cool", regardless of race
I'm a software engineer in the Bay and can confirm that I find a lot of other engineers to be pretty weird.

So disheartening when blacks label each other as cornball brothers or "acting white".
why. its the truth.
we need to stop sugar coating and tell it like it is.

we are all being used as pawns. a lot of times against each other. we are all merely *allowed* to do anything. we are just tolerated. they are hiring and using specific types of black ppl for their agenda.

This is something I don't understand about a lot of black people. The same people that tell us that black people aren't a monolith, they don't all think the same, do the same I think and there's not one way to be black, etc. are the same ones that tell us that companies like Google are hiring "the whitest black people". Saying there are "white black people" implies that these black people aren't black enough, aren't lock step with mainstream Black culture, etc.

Black people can be conservative, be Republican, listen to death metal rock music, wear Birkenstocks, go hiking, watch anime, etc. Thinking independently and being who you want to be naturally doesn't make them any less black.
its less about that and more about the fact that white ppl have created the power structure off the backs of the enslaved, raped and pillaged and continued it to this day but by putting us against each other so that they maintain power.

now with that said, they then use specific types of black ppl as both
a. tokens to show they believe in diversity and inclusion
b. to be used against the black ppl that they aren't going to include

so those two groups have a perceived notion of power that doesn't exist in the way they think and feel. they then use that power to hold back/block/etc. those under them. the company is able to use that person's position/title as an example of diversity and their story as you can make it if you do x, y, z. but its all fake.

I might not articulate it that well but that's how it feels and that's my own exp based on what I've seen in the places I've been.

we aren't all the same however there are those of us who shy away from who we are specifically because of indoctrination from the same ppl "including them" and that have made them the way they are in the first place.

This is what shes looking for

giphy.gif

that’s such trash. labeling people that speak well, get good jobs, and push themselves educationally and creatively as acting white is nonsense. that hurts more than anything else tbh. i wouldn’t want success in America to be defined as acting white...when it comes with so many long days and years of effort to get these sort of gigs.

people in tech companies i’ve worked at all “act” similar but that’s because that’s what the job entails. that’d be like saying all truckers “act” similar. The tech companies i’ve seen in the Bay don’t stop people from bringing their culture with them and celebrate it more than most of the less progressive environments i’ve worked in. A lot of these companies don’t care if you wear a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, have tattoos, or if you celebrate festivus. As long as you communicate with other people respectfully and get your work done it’s a pretty live and let live culture.

edit - after reading above i agree. companies still will
hire the person that “fits” the mold the best. i think that’s true of any company or industry though and not specific to tech companies. My Vietnamese mechanic certainly isn’t looking for white guys to bring into his shop to train up.

2nd edit - i work at a tech company with an Iranian CEO and the prior one i worked at had a CEO from the Czech Republic. Maybe my experience is different than a place like Facebook or Google.

why. its the truth.
we need to stop sugar coating and tell it like it is.

we are all being used as pawns. a lot of times against each other. we are all merely *allowed* to do anything. we are just tolerated. they are hiring and using specific types of black ppl for their agenda.

But that's EXACTLY what's going on here.

I'd also Iike to know more about the people she's talking about...was she passed over for a promotion by one of these guys, was there something else? Kinda crazy to be an outted whistle-blower while still employed by that same company.

But that's EXACTLY what's going on here.

I'd also Iike to know more about the people she's talking about...was she passed over for a promotion by one of these guys, was there something else? Kinda crazy to be an outted whistle-blower while still employed by that same company.
to be clear what i'm talking about is

being indoctrinated/brainwashed into looking down on ppl that look like you and believing that you have to be like stereotypes (based off of nothing but the suppression of everyone else) of "someone else" in order to succeed in life and
the creation of...everything to support that you basically do have to shuck and jive in order to succeed within corporate America.

THEN them pitting both groups of ppl against each other as they sit and watch/go on about their business/check a box of inclusion OR while someone of that group might not openly block someone else from succeeding they somehow become the example of how to be in order to succeed.

its disgusting and shouldn't be a thing but it is def a thing and there is no foreseeable end.

Back
Top Bottom