Black Infrared VI's returning in 2014. NO GM TALK!

to me that og toebox looks bad lol just my opinion
yea the 2012s are a little too curved but overall its better than that superslanted toe.
It's just a bad picture of an old shoe. OG shape is way better. Not slanted but sleek. I actually think the 99 4s were the best shape wise. Those also had a rolled toe.
Shape wise:
99>89>>>>>>>>>2012>>>>CDP>>>2006

Why do you guys want Durabuck instead of nubuck?
The durabuck starts to crack as soon as creases form.
Although nubuck turns starts to fade and become ashy i still prefer it over durabuck

Although nubuck turns starts to fade and become ashy i still prefer it over durabuck

thats how its supposed to be made

Last edited:
I know durabuck is a synthetic material, and nubuck "should be" considered nicer...but for some reason i LOVE how durabuck looks. It's dark as hell, durable, and when you clean it, it look sooooooooooo good. It doesn't fade, and has a premium feel to it. Im still salty that the bred iv's didn't come with durabuck, over a year later.

Durabuck is wanted on these because it's the material the OG's are made from and some people like retros too be as close to OG as possible. And I have to disagree with you, Durabuck doesn't crack as soon as it creases. Durabuck is a very durable material, and it takes years and many wears to start to crack.

I know durabuck is a synthetic material, and nubuck "should be" considered nicer...but for some reason i LOVE how durabuck looks. It's dark as hell, durable, and when you clean it, it look sooooooooooo good. It doesn't fade, and has a premium feel to it. Im still salty that the bred iv's didn't come with durabuck, over a year later.

ALL of this :pimp:

Durabuck is my favorite sneaker material ever after soft leather of any variety.

^ Never seen the thunders in person. So Charcoal 7's 2012and Playoff 8's 2013 are durabuck.

People always seem to forget about the two different types of durabuck on the OGs - the rear portion was had a different look and feel to it (though still durabuck). I don't have a pair myself, but haven't the latest retros skipped this? I apologize if I'm wrong, I haven't had the retros in hand in years.

This is one of my favorite often skipped over details of the shoe.

Not my pic, but it's clearly visible here.

Last edited:
People always seem to forget about the two different types of durabuck on the OGs - the rear portion was had a different look and feel to it (though still durabuck). I don't have a pair myself, but haven't the latest retros skipped this? I apologize if I'm wrong, I haven't had the retros in hand in years.

This is one of my favorite often skipped over details of the shoe.

View media item 782885

Not my pic, but it's clearly visible here.

You're absolutely right.
I can't speak for the recent VI's cause I haven't copped VI since the Oreos, but I do know that JB did it proper with the DMP at least

Here is a pic of the heel area on my DMP's. Its not a great photo, but you can still see how the heel is made from a harder, smoother durabck, with almost no texture at all. The rest of the Upper is made from nice quality durabuck

View media item 782979

Last edited:

both were suede

toro 5s are a good example of nubuck
Nope, definitely not suede, this is what suede looks like. Notice the grain in it, nubuck and durabuk are smooth surface. 

Suede is created from the inner side of a hide, whereas nubuck is created from the outer side of a hide, giving it more strength and thickness along with a fine grain. It is generally more expensive than suede, and must be colored or dyed heavily to cover up the sanding and stamping process.

Last edited:
both were suede

Pretty sure toro 5's were suede. That's way too long of a cut to be nubuck. Toro 4's were durabuck. The first time I've seen durabuck in red like that. I'm not 100 percent sure toro 4's were durabuck as opposed to nubuck, but it definitely has that feel and texture of durabuck. But a smoother durabuck as compared to 2012 charcoal 7's which definitely have more "texture". The only reason I'm not 100 percent sure toro 4s are durabuck is because I've never seen durabuck that smooth, textureless. It's almost like regular leather. But it sure as hell ain't nubuck. So I guess it's durabuck. Wow....I ramble....my bad.

both were suede

Disagree. Both Black Cement 4's and Thunders were both nubuck (2012 version). Toro 5's are definitely suede. The black infrared from the pack was nubuck. The toro 4's was durabuck I think (difficult one to figure out).

Last edited:
Disagree. Both Black Cement 4's and Thunders were both nubuck (2012 version). Toro 5's are definitely suede. The black infrared from the pack was nubuck. The toro 4's was durabuck I think (difficult one to figure out).
I know right? but the more I hold the toro 4's in hand....that's gotta be durabuck. I'm almost positive. Either that, or a VERY short haired nubuck....but i HIGHLY doubt that. It's durabuck.

Durabuck is wanted on these because it's the material the OG's are made from and some people like retros too be as close to OG as possible. And I have to disagree with you, Durabuck doesn't crack as soon as it creases. Durabuck is a very durable material, and it takes years and many wears to start to crack.

Some people don't know what durabuck feels like fresh out of the box.

Of course it'll crack on you if you just unds'ed a pair of 10+ year old shoes that have been dried up in a box somewhere.

But a brand new pair of shoes made of durabuck don't crack.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

2012 Black Cement 4s = nubuck
2012 Thunder 4s = durabuck

both were suede

Both wrong.

Toro 5's are suede
Both 4's are nubuck.

Suede has a nap to it. Nubuck is smoother, and has a thinner, more fine finish to it.

Suede feels thicker and has more weight to it. Water effects suede much worse than nubuck.

use this thread as a reference

http://niketalk.com/t/514201/material-differences-suede-nubuck-and-durabuck

Or just youtube it.

A lot of misconception going around with the quality of shoes nowadays mostly comes from people not knowing materials. A lot of times people look down on nubuck or suede, thinking they are inferior to not only each other, but also to other materials, which is not the case. Suede and Nubuck are great. Much higher quality than durabuck. Durabuck is a mixture of materials for specific use...

Durabuck is ideal for outdoor shoes.

A big reason why the Jordan 8 and the Nike Air Raid have it. Those are outdoor basketball shoes.

In reality, Suede and Nubuck are both finer quality than durabuck. You know why a lot of heads prefer durabuck? Because it requires less care. That seems like its higher quality, but it really isn't. Durabuck requires less care because its made for outdoor use. Suede and Nubuck would be torn apart hooping outside much faster than durabuck. They are all great materials, and have their advantages/uses.

Another big thing is leather grain quality. But thats for another discussion.

Go into a shoe store, A REAL SHOE STORE. Not an athletic shoe store with a bunch of uneducated kids working, and ask for suede and nubuck shoes. then a pair of durabuck boots, and feel the differences for yourself. It'll be night and day.

Last edited:
I bet if the original shape was actually the new Retro, and the Retro that is coming out was shaped like the og's, y'all would still complain and say, this new shape sucks, I need the steel toe shape back :lol:

PRIME PRIME they eventually crack.
My met 5's that recently retroed is starting to crack, although I worn em alot they are still cracking.
Had it been nubuck it would've been a different story

Back
Top Bottom