Blocking/Charging UNAPPRECIATION

I wished the NBA would make it illegal, I hate when players go try to get the ball back the easy way by flopping.

It slows down the game, takes away good plays.

I hate it when someone goes for a dunk and a player just camps outside the restricting area and gets the charge.

I remember when drawing a charge used to be a big momentum change, you actually had to play good defense to draw a charge. That "charge line" halfcircle ruined all of that. Players dont even play D anymore they run and stand in front of the line, and most of the time they start floppin before contact iseven initiated. That line is the worst thing that has been unveiled in the NBA with the exception of that dunk wheel and 2-ball, atleast they were smart enoughto do away with those.

smh.gif
@ It in 2K9.

Hate the calls, I would much rather see defense & going for blocks or atleast contesting a shot, rather than just stepping in & falling down.

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

I remember when drawing a charge used to be a big momentum change, you actually had to play good defense to draw a charge. That "charge line" half circle ruined all of that. Players dont even play D anymore they run and stand in front of the line, and most of the time they start floppin before contact is even initiated. That line is the worst thing that has been unveiled in the NBA with the exception of that dunk wheel and 2-ball, atleast they were smart enough to do away with those.
I agree with this.

nahh i like this rule. If there wasnt this rule dudes would be getting in the lane all the time just getting to the line. If a defender beats the man to thespot he has position just like the offensive player should if he is there first. Dont like all the flopping but this is definitley a good basketball rule IMO.If this was taken out it would be favoring offense over FTs, and dudes would be getting to the line AT WILL.

Originally Posted by THE GR8

nahh i like this rule. If there wasnt this rule dudes would be getting in the lane all the time just getting to the line. If a defender beats the man to the spot he has position just like the offensive player should if he is there first. Dont like all the flopping but this is definitley a good basketball rule IMO. If this was taken out it would be favoring offense over FTs, and dudes would be getting to the line AT WILL.

dudes already get to the line AT WILL, hell Lebron just got a gift last night. Those charges count as personal fouls too and teams get into the penalty alotquicker, teams are in the penalty before even half the period is over due to big doofuses not playin D and floppin. That line just made it acceptable for dudesto flop which is NOT

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

this is a HUGE problem in the college game.
Yup, because the refs don't know how to call it. You have defenders getting charge calls when they are literally still running to get inposition. Very rarely are feet set when charges are called.

nahh i like this rule. If there wasnt this rule dudes would be getting in the lane all the time just getting to the line. If a defender beats the man to the spot he has position just like the offensive player should if he is there first. Dont like all the flopping but this is definitley a good basketball rule IMO. If this was taken out it would be favoring offense over FTs, and dudes would be getting to the line AT WILL.

dudes already get to the line AT WILL, hell Lebron just got a gift last night. Those charges count as personal fouls too and teams get into the penalty alot quicker, teams are in the penalty before even half the period is over due to big doofuses not playin D and floppin. That line just made it acceptable for dudes to flop which is NOT
I agree and i think that flopping HAS to bealt with. I like the idea of handing out fines for flopping after review of them, and i allso feel refshave to lockdown on calling charges based on whether or not the defender has position not based on whether or not they fall. But there is no way chargingshould be completely exiled from the game of basketball. It would be absolute madness, it would be SUCH an advantage towards the offense. Players wouldbasically be able to take it at anybody and get a call and defense would be playing scared in order to not get called for a block as well. It has to beunderstood that an offender OR a defender could initiate contact. Which ever one initiates the contact should get the foul call. To take away charging givesoffense a complete advantage over defense. It has to be understood that offenders flop to get blocks as well. Flopping should be dealt with but charging HAS totay in basketball. Whoevere beats whoever to the spot should get the call no matter if the person that gets to the spot quickst is on offense or defendse. !##%the person shouldnt even have to fall, if the defender beats the offender t the spot and the offender initiates contact its an offensive foul. It would bemadness to take charging out of the game.

But i do agree that is should have to be worked for and earned by playing good D and getting to the spot quicker rather than just falling on your @!* whetheror not you are moving. I swear nothing gets me more heated than some of these charges when the defender is moving like a tap dancer. Its part of basketball andit should be able to be exploited that if an offensive player is taking it to the hoop on a guy and he sees that the defender is in a bad position or moving toinitiate contact and use that to his advantage to get to the line. Thats a good offensive play. In no way should the defender flopping and falling on his @!*should change the fact that that is a block. But once agin i is a great defensive play if a defender gets to the spot first and takes a hit and that shoulddefinitley not be changed.

Yall complain about the game getting soft? Can you imagine how soft the game would be without any charges? That is giving offense a complete advantage anddudes on D would be standing there like little %@%+#$% araid of ANY contact because if there is contact the call would only go one way a block cause thered beno charges.

dudes already get to the line AT WILL, hell Lebron just got a gift last night. Those charges count as personal fouls too and teams get into the penalty alot quicker, teams are in the penalty before even half the period is over due to big doofuses not playin D and floppin. That line just made it acceptable for dudes to flop which is NOT

charges count as personal fouls, but they don't get counted in team fouls which is where the penalty comes from.

I can't stand the flops when a player drives into the lane and dishing it out but his momentum takes him into a player who has stepped over and flops onhis $%^&. That shouldn't be called, has no effect on the game- Vol. Anderson Varejeo.
indifferent.gif

Anderson Varejeo
probably the only player in the NBA not on the Celtics that sickens me...

the refs have called this MIA/Cleveland game horribly...the charging call they gave Wade on Varejeo
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

I agree and i think that flopping HAS to bealt with. I like the idea of handing out fines for flopping after review of them, and i allso feel refs have to lockdown on calling charges based on whether or not the defender has position not based on whether or not they fall. But there is no way charging should be completely exiled from the game of basketball. It would be absolute madness, it would be SUCH an advantage towards the offense. Players would basically be able to take it at anybody and get a call and defense would be playing scared in order to not get called for a block as well. It has to be understood that an offender OR a defender could initiate contact. Which ever one initiates the contact should get the foul call. To take away charging gives offense a complete advantage over defense. It has to be understood that offenders flop to get blocks as well. Flopping should be dealt with but charging HAS to tay in basketball. Whoevere beats whoever to the spot should get the call no matter if the person that gets to the spot quickst is on offense or defendse. !##% the person shouldnt even have to fall, if the defender beats the offender t the spot and the offender initiates contact its an offensive foul. It would be madness to take charging out of the game.

But i do agree that is should have to be worked for and earned by playing good D and getting to the spot quicker rather than just falling on your @!* whether or not you are moving. I swear nothing gets me more heated than some of these charges when the defender is moving like a tap dancer. Its part of basketball and it should be able to be exploited that if an offensive player is taking it to the hoop on a guy and he sees that the defender is in a bad position or moving to initiate contact and use that to his advantage to get to the line. Thats a good offensive play. In no way should the defender flopping and falling on his @!* should change the fact that that is a block. But once agin i is a great defensive play if a defender gets to the spot first and takes a hit and that should definitley not be changed.

Yall complain about the game getting soft? Can you imagine how soft the game would be without any charges? That is giving offense a complete advantage and dudes on D would be standing there like little %@%+#$% araid of ANY contact because if there is contact the call would only go one way a block cause thered be no charges.

oh no i completely agree. I wasnt saying do away with charges, my problem is with the 'charge line,' theres no need for that line its just a bailoutfor the refs and the defender(if you can call them that).

lol honestly, if refs were better in the first place and could call a charge without having to see a player drop to the floor, players would never flop in thefirst place.

and there's no problem with a player selling a legit charge.

Blocking makes since, but it's those ticky tack ones that are frustrating. I hate charging because, instead of playing defense all the guy has to do is runin front of the player and stand there. It's cheap in my opinion.

I agree and i think that flopping HAS to bealt with. I like the idea of handing out fines for flopping after review of them, and i allso feel refs have to lockdown on calling charges based on whether or not the defender has position not based on whether or not they fall. But there is no way charging should be completely exiled from the game of basketball. It would be absolute madness, it would be SUCH an advantage towards the offense. Players would basically be able to take it at anybody and get a call and defense would be playing scared in order to not get called for a block as well. It has to be understood that an offender OR a defender could initiate contact. Which ever one initiates the contact should get the foul call. To take away charging gives offense a complete advantage over defense. It has to be understood that offenders flop to get blocks as well. Flopping should be dealt with but charging HAS to tay in basketball. Whoevere beats whoever to the spot should get the call no matter if the person that gets to the spot quickst is on offense or defendse. !##% the person shouldnt even have to fall, if the defender beats the offender t the spot and the offender initiates contact its an offensive foul. It would be madness to take charging out of the game.

But i do agree that is should have to be worked for and earned by playing good D and getting to the spot quicker rather than just falling on your @!* whether or not you are moving. I swear nothing gets me more heated than some of these charges when the defender is moving like a tap dancer. Its part of basketball and it should be able to be exploited that if an offensive player is taking it to the hoop on a guy and he sees that the defender is in a bad position or moving to initiate contact and use that to his advantage to get to the line. Thats a good offensive play. In no way should the defender flopping and falling on his @!* should change the fact that that is a block. But once agin i is a great defensive play if a defender gets to the spot first and takes a hit and that should definitley not be changed.

Yall complain about the game getting soft? Can you imagine how soft the game would be without any charges? That is giving offense a complete advantage and dudes on D would be standing there like little %@%+#$% araid of ANY contact because if there is contact the call would only go one way a block cause thered be no charges.

oh no i completely agree. I wasnt saying do away with charges, my problem is with the 'charge line,' theres no need for that line its just a bailout for the refs and the defender(if you can call them that).
Oh yeah, than i can feel you on that one

what really disgusts me is dudes over 6'5 taking charges from guards..especially PF's and Centers
Many players lack the athleticism and, key term here, timing for blocking shots. Very few people have great timing for blocks, let alone theathleticism that is needed too.

I personally like flopping it's a part of game. It gives players who dont have superior athletically ability a chance to play"smart" and make upfor their lack of athletic ability. Everybody aint LeBron or Kobe.

Back
Top Bottom