Bloomberg: Police stop minorities 'too little'

NEW YORK (AP) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Friday that police "disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little" as compared to murder suspects' descriptions, sparking criticism from activists and some politicians in a city that has been immersed in a debate about law enforcement and discrimination.

Speaking on his weekly WOR-AM radio appearance, Bloomberg echoed an argument he has made before: that the stops' demographics should be assessed against suspect descriptions, not the population as a whole. But coming a day after city lawmakers voted to create a police inspector general and new legal avenues for racial profiling claims, the mayor's remarks drew immediate pushback.

The measures' advocates accused the mayor of using "irresponsible rhetoric," some mayoral hopefuls chastised him and some City Council members said his remarks only emphasized the need for change.

"Our mayor's comments prove he just doesn't get it," said Councilman Robert Jackson, who co-chairs the council's Black, Latino and Asian Caucus.

Bloomberg spokesman Marc LaVorgna said the critics were "fabricating outrage over an absolutely accurate comment."

"What they should be outraged by is the number of minorities who are being killed and that successful police efforts to save minority lives are being hampered," he added.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly noted separately Friday that more than 90% of people killed or shot in the city are black or Hispanic.

The police tactic known as stop and frisk has become a high-profile political issue in the city, where stops have soared during Bloomberg's three terms. He and Kelly say the stops are an invaluable policing aid and have helped cut crime rates dramatically, while critics say the street stops humiliate many innocent people and are unfairly focused on minorities.

Those complaints have prompted a federal lawsuit over the stop and frisk practice and were part of the impetus for the City Council's vote Thursday. Bloomberg reiterated Friday that he'll veto the legislation, which he says will impede policing. They passed with enough votes to override a veto, but the mayor has noted that he plans to keep pressing his case with lawmakers.

About 5 million stops have been made during the past decade. Eighty-seven% of those stopped in the last two years were black or Hispanic. Those groups comprise 54% of the city population.

Bloomberg says that comparison isn't appropriate.

The racial breakdown of those stopped is "not a disproportionate percentage of those who witnesses and victims describe as committing the murder. In that case, incidentally, I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little," he said Friday on "The John Gambling Show."

More than 90% of suspects in killings in the last two years were described as black or Hispanic, according to city officials.

"The cops' job is to stop (people in) the groups fitting the description. It's society's job to make sure that no one group is disproportionately represented as potential perpetrators," Bloomberg said earlier in the show.

The group Communities United for Police Reform called Bloomberg's view misinformation, noting that most stops aren't spurred by suspect descriptions. Police department records of the stops also list such reasons as "furtive movements" or suspicious bulges in clothing.

"Mayor Bloomberg should cease with the irresponsible rhetoric and seek to work with the council on a constructive path forward," said Communities United for Police Reform spokeswoman Joo-Hyun Kang.

Public Advocate and mayoral candidate Bill de Blasio sent supporters an email rapping Bloomberg's remarks, while fellow contender and City Comptroller John Liu issued a statement calling them "insensitive, outrageous, and just plain weird." Rival and former City Comptroller Bill Thompson, who is black, termed Bloomberg's comments insulting and called on him to apologize.

"What he seems to indicate to the hundreds of thousands of people who have been unnecessarily stopped and frisked is, 'We're sorry we didn't stop more people,'" Thompson said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/06/28/bloomberg-police-minorities-stops/2474261/

Wow. Seems to me like only black people get stopped in NY. At least thats all i see in the media.

Man Bloomberg has not been Giving a damn lately about his comments the last couple months he seems to say what he wants and doesn't think

to be fair, NYC is da safest big city in america....

ya really wanna go back to da wild cowboys era of da 80's-early 90's?

da bill that passed that prohibited police from describing certain aspects of people was a lil bit of a political correctness over reach in my opinion...

da bill that passed that prohibited police from describing certain aspects of people was a lil bit of a political correctness over reach in my opinion...

Nah. I think its top 5 though, I know I saw the list somewhere.

In 2011, NYPD Made More Stops Of Young Black Men Than The Total Number Of Young Black Men In New York

During New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s first year in office, the New York Police Department stopped and interrogated 97,296 people on the streets. By 2007, with the Bloomberg administration pushing the a stop-and-frisk strategy, police made more than a half a million stops. Last year, the figure rose to a record 685,724 people. And according to a New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) report, the vast majorities of stops — about 87 percent — were of blacks and Latinos. Despite robust defenses of the tactics, they appear to be less effective than the Bloomberg administration and NYPD claim.

Most troubling, the NYCLU report seemed to bear out charges of racial profiling in stop-and-frisk situations. In precincts where blacks and Latinos are least represented among the population (14 percent or less), blacks and Latinos were nonetheless the target of 70 percent of stops. Perhaps most staggeringly, the the Wall Street Journal highlighted that the number of stops of black men between the ages of 14 and 24 (168,126 ) exceeded the total city population of black men in that age range (158,406).
Along with the wildly disproportionate stops, blacks and Latinos were more likely to get frisked. Yet they yielded a smaller percentage of weapons than whites. The NYCLU produced these charts demonstrating the disparities:

View media item 473217
View media item 473218
On Bloomberg’s weekly radio show last month, Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly defended the stop-and-frisk strategy, whose increased application they credit with a 50 percent drop in the city’s murder rate, but it’s not at all clear how this strategy produced such an outcome. Comparing 2003 and 2011, stops increased by more than half a million while only 172 more guns were found. That’s a jump of finding one gun for every 266 stops versus one gun per every 3,000 stops.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/05/10/481589/nypd-stop-and-frisk-young-black-men/

Last edited:

So.. are you agreeing with him?

So.. are you agreeing with him?
his goal, not particularly all of his means...

I understand what the policy is designed to do & what ninja was explaining however it's an outright display of racism in it's most institutional form. What they need to do is stop a for profit prison system, over hall the education system by also coming up with programs that aren't traditional ways of educating kids (like the Philly bio diesel car project), overhaul the welfare system by providing a means of college education and/or training (along with job placement), providing comprehensive drug rehab programs, etc...

These are larger problems politicos aren't addressing because it doesn't provide campaign contributions or help get them votes. I say someone or a group of people constantly follow Bloomberg & Kelly to stop & frisk them repeatedly because they look like suspicious white collar wall st crooks... See how they like it....

The best explanation I've ever heard on modern day politics was explained at the 2:33 mark. Sorry I couldn't embed because that feature was prohibited for the vid...

Last edited:
I'm sorry, i'm from a major area and I'm glad I ain't got to worry about random frisking because I "look" suspicious. Sounds like some ole 1950s "get ova here boi you don't belong here)

Kanye lied. Nobody's concealing racism, it's actually pretty outright and blatant, certain people just choose to ignore it.

That "stop and frisk" foolishness would never fly down here in the DC area.

Last edited:
I've never been stopped as an asian I probably don't look intimidating at all. Having heard stories about being stopped it's just another excuse to say **** tha coppers.

I say someone or a group of people constantly follow Bloomberg & Kelly to stop & frisk them repeatedly because they look like suspicious white collar wall st crooks... See how they like it....

I realize that you're parroting a tired meme about white collar crime, but stop and frisk is a 'GUN CONTROL' issue, not a crime issue.

If you support 'GUN CONTROL' how can you be against stop and frisk? Its primary directive is to get guns off the street. Jamming up 14 year olds on fugazi weed charges is just an added bonus to these scumbags.

Most people have already sold their souls when it comes to the relationship between government and its subjects. The State exists to protect we the serfs.

Last edited:
I say someone or a group of people constantly follow Bloomberg & Kelly to stop & frisk them repeatedly because they look like suspicious white collar wall st crooks... See how they like it....

I realize that you're parroting a tired meme about white collar crime, but stop and frisk is a 'GUN CONTROL' issue, not a crime issue.

If you support 'GUN CONTROL' how can you be against stop and frisk? Its primary directive is to get guns off the street. Jamming up 14 year olds on fugazi weed charges are just an added bonus to these swine.

Most people have already sold their souls. The State exists to protect we the serfs.

Gun control is not the real issue, you have to look upstream for the real problems. These gun control issues are occurring because larger issues are not being addressed because it won't garner votes or contribute funds to campaigns.

Most of the folks effected by these draconian measures don't vote (for the most part) because if they did, you wouldn't see these politicians get elected or re-elected. I didn't "parrot" anything either as I've never seen memes of the type you mention.

Gun control is not the real issue, you have to look upstream for the real problems. These gun control issues are occurring because larger issues are not being addressed because it won't garner votes or contribute funds to campaigns.

Most of the folks effected by these draconian measures don't vote (for the most part) because if they did, you wouldn't see these politicians get elected or re-elected. I didn't "parrot" anything either as I've never seen memes of the type you mention.

I disagree. Every time there's a horrific shooting that shocks the city for fifteen minutes, you have a black politician or preacher coming out in support of stop and frisk. The younger the child that catchs the stray in his C3 vertebrae, the more visceral the reaction in support for the program.

did you check the stats?

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not saying that stop and frisk is an effective crime fighting tool. Quite the opposite. It erodes what little trust marginalized communities had in the at best indifferent at worst outwardly hostile police force. My point is that because New Yorkers are so afraid of guns and so in support of 'gun control', politicians can institute such corrosive programs. Whether or not the stats hold up is largely irrelevant.

Bloomberg is one of the biggest scum bags in recent imagination. I'd rather see Weiner mayor than Quinn, because that dopey **** was in the bag for Lil B.

Last edited:
Again, gun control is one ancillary problems, you have to tackle the larger issues if you truly want to make changes. We've seen some of the most horrible tragedies in the last couple of years like the Colorado movie theater slayings & the Newton, CT killings. Have you seen any effective means of gun control curb violence? In Baltimore, there have been 35 shootings within the last 6 days resulting in 14 homicides which is sadly par for course. Have our streets become any safer? The reality is that you see a grand show to make it look like something is being done but we're not solving the larger issues at hand nor have we ever.

Last edited:
You can't walk around your own neighborhood without being harassed by police in NYC.

It's disgusting,

And cops are too scared to stop the real criminals, they purposely harass law abiding citizens and try to goad them into a charge, in order to meet their quotas.

Complete violation of rights.

Again, gun control is one ancillary problems, you have to tackle the larger issues if you truly want to make changes. We've seen some of the most horrible tragedies in the last couple of years like the Colorado movie theater slayings & the Newton, CT killings. Have you seen any effective means of gun control curb violence? In Baltimore, there have been 35 shootings within the last 6 days resulting in 14 homicides which is sadly par for course. Have our streets become any safer? The reality is that you see a grand show to make it look like something is being done but we're not solving the larger issues at hand nor have we ever.

:stoneface:

We're saying the same thing, guy

Back
Top Bottom