Blue collar workers come in gas and electric utilities

After working at my job for a while I've gotten a promotion into the utility side. I'm getting training in both sides gas and electric now but once training is over they will see where my strengths are and place me. I was wondering the pros and cons of both. Lineman,gas mechanics, and substation work. Was wondering if anyone with experience in these fields could weigh in with pros and cons.

I work in the environmental department of a utility company on the east coast. Basically all these jobs are union gigs with really good pay and ultimately you can live a good life once you complete probation.

I've been employed with the company 7 months or so and can definitely see the pros and cons of just the union in general. They tend to suppress creativity and any form of expression. There is a bogus hierarchy involved and so on.

Linemen start around 19hr here but once there certified that salary can jump to 40hr easily with overtime being a must. Hard work crazy hours and insane pay and dangerous.

I don't know much about the gas side of utility work since I work with a electric company. I sometimes go to substations and do some work. Most of the time it's a relaxed environment, but the same union BS apply.

I work in the environmental department of a utility company on the east coast. Basically all these jobs are union gigs with really good pay and ultimately you can live a good life once you complete probation.

I've been employed with the company 7 months or so and can definitely see the pros and cons of just the union in general. They tend to suppress creativity and any form of expression. There is a bogus hierarchy involved and so on.

Linemen start around 19hr here but once there certified that salary can jump to 40hr easily with overtime being a must. Hard work crazy hours and insane pay and dangerous.

I don't know much about the gas side of utility work since I work with a electric company. I sometimes go to substations and do some work. Most of the time it's a relaxed environment, but the same union BS apply.

Cool man thx for info. My job is non union and the numbers sound about the same maybe a little less. From what I hear, sometimes union pay more but less vacation/benefits. Also I used to work for union at ups and the promotions were based on your seniority wich I think is ridiculous. And yea most overtime is voluntary unless the crap hits the fan.

Just wait for a major storm to hit and then you will see the OT come in. I may not work for gas or electric but the amount of OT to be had during and after a hurricane is crazy. The last storm (Sandy) we had in NJ was crazy. The utility company workers (gas, electric, phone) made tons of money. I work for a phone company and we were working 12 hour days for like 2-3 months forced. That is you are forced to come into work no day off. It sucked but the money was good but you have no life during that time. I dont know how the pay is but we work 40 hours a week, anything after is time and half. Working on a holiday we get paid double time and half. Our company garages were crazy years ago. Our techs made tons of money. I've been with my company for 17 years and the B.S. with the company and unions is still the same. Just do your job, be where you are suppose to be, and make that money.

my boy works on a road construction team... says he makes $22/hr with OT. He has to get up at 4 or 5 AM most days though.

Back
Top Bottom