Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread - Series Finale - Eldorado

Enjoyed the finale but wished it was longer.

Like others have said, would love a Commission spinoff with maybe some Bumpy Johnson sprinkled in...

till the end nucky never asked about what happened to chalky 
mean.gif

how did gillian know for sure that it was absolutely nucky who pulled the trigger on jimmy? did luciano or rosetti tell her? 
nerd.gif

is it supposed to be like after nucky denied gillian help, she wrote to tommy to tell him to kill nucky? 
nerd.gif

or is it like because he didnt help gillian the 2nd time around, tommy killing him was like a punishment? 
nerd.gif

kinda messed up that leandor survived too, if helping the commodore earns karmic retribution 
laugh.gif

Some notes:

- The two guys in hats at the end were IRS Agents. In real-life Nucky Johnson was investigated and eventually arrested by IRS agents in the 1930s. So even if Nuck didn't meet his ultimate fate, he still would've had to deal with other ramifcations.
- The Commission. Great closure or to be more pertinent, the beginning of their regime. :nthat:
- The scene with Capone and his son. Them emotions, man.
- Margaret winning and flourishing. Gotta give her props for evolving and transforming into a power and independent woman. That line, "Think of all the things you want out of life. Now imagine yourself wearing a dress" could not have been a better way to sum up her life aspiration both personal and business.
- Commodore and creepy sideburns Leander. :smh:
- Narcisse's death was brutal and quick. Glad the dude got his. Remember that play production he directed last season? :lol: He was his only and biggest fan.
- Poor Gillian got her "sickness" removed by Dr. Cotton experimental procedures. :x Even if Nuck had read the letter earlier, he still wouldn't have helped her and thus continued to break his promise of protecting her. No redemption from Nucky.
- Joel Harper. When he uttered the words "Mima" I literally dropped my jaw. It was predictable but yet unpredictable in a counter-intuitive sense that I had anticipated that couldn't possibly transpire but then it did and caught me off guard. He also shot Nucky right where Nucky shot Jimmy in the face too. Also, when those college kids wearing the P sweaters appeared, I immediately thought of Princeton and how it alludes to Jimmy Darmody's alma mater.
- Richard Harrow would be vastly disappointed. All that he did for Tommy went out the window and straight to prison.
- In Nuck's final encounter with his little brother, he mentions he swam further than he did. Also when he says to Margaret with the line of wanting more - a penny to a nickel to quarter. In the final shot of him finally catching that coin symbolizes that growing up poor caused his ambition to get best of him but everything else drowned including him, his wife and people he cared about. If he would have caught the coin in the beginning, his life path may have been different.

Last edited:
I didn't want to see Nucky go out like that, but I had to keep reminding myself of him giving Gillian to the Commodore
mean.gif
.  I can't imagine how much better the ending would have been had this show got more views.  I guess they did the best with what they had.

Also, one of the main and recurring themes this season is leaving a legacy or something behind. Nucky failed to realize the people closest to him he killed (Jimmy, Gillian) had left behind something and someone, Tommy.

Last edited:
also what was the significance of the "twinkle twinkle little star" song about?

was that like a predecessor to the tv that she showed him?

and when she said im from the future, and then he walked into darkness, was that like foreshadowing?

and what did she mean when she said "i'll be there and i wont be"? did she mean like not her physically, but her image would be there?

and there were two ppl following him then right?  were those the same cops from the end? 
nerd.gif

so many questions from that one scene 
laugh.gif

Yea I like the okie doke they pulled by having the 2 IRS agents there at the end.

I put the Tommy Darmody twist in this thread weeks ago but it still had me with my jaw dropped.... kinda expected Nucky to figure it out....I mean he looked JUST LIKE Jimmy! lol

and when she said im from the future, and then he walked into darkness, was that like foreshadowing?

and what did she mean when she said "i'll be there and i wont be"? did she mean like not her physically, but her image would be there?

and there were two ppl following him then right?  were those the same cops from the end? :nerd:

so many questions from that one scene :lol:  

The creator says that was indeed foreshadowing... She showed him the future and he wasn't in it...

What did the guy who gave him the sheriffs badge say exactly? Re watched twice and couldn't pick it up. Something about the youth...

and there were two ppl following him then right?  were those the same cops from the end? 
nerd.gif

so many questions from that one scene 
laugh.gif

The box was the early version of the television with a prerecorded video. It was to show that the future was coming and Nucky's old way of doing things/regime was coming to an end. Look at bewildered he was staring at the thing.

The I'll be there line is meant to signify that although the girl may be dead, her legacy lives on. Sorta goes with the leaving behind something theme of the season.

Perfect way to wrap up the series. One of the best I've seen on TV. Boardwalk Empire was a masterpiece.

In a sense, you could make the argument that Nucky was no better, or even WORSE, for that matter, than his father. For as ****** up and abusive as his dad was, he still had his principals. After it was revealed how Nucky gave up GIllian to the Commodore for his own personal gain, and losing all ethics/morals in the process, him catching a bullet to the cheek was fitting.

- I saw Joel actually being Tommy Darmody a mile away. Dude was always there, just somewhere around. Camera sometimes focused on him a little too much for him to be anything else.

- Gillian had the most messed up story. I really thought Nucky was gonna get her out the crazy house. Instead, he just gave her money :smh: I kinda had the feeling he talking to wife Mabel, when he asked "What should I do?"

- I really hope HBO makes something out of the newly formed Commission

More I think of it, that was BEAUTIFULLY done. The slightest details all tied together.

Perfect way to end Capone. Perfect way to end Luciano by having a few minute scene and forming the commission.

Who was Luciano's inside guy?

I wish we saw Willy at the end to see wht he would do about what he knew.

In the end all Nucky had was money and when Joe Harper ripped it up it showed tha tmoney isn't everything.

His lasting legacy to his brother was giving him money, even thought he saved his nephew.

His lasting thing to Margerat was making her money and leaving her a ton behind.

Perfect way to wrap up the series. One of the best I've seen on TV. Boardwalk Empire was a masterpiece.

In a sense, you could make the argument that Nucky was no better, or even WORSE, for that matter, than his father. For as ****** up and abusive as his dad was, he still had his principals. After it was revealed how Nucky gave up GIllian to the Commodore for his own personal gain, and losing all ethics/morals in the process, him catching a bullet to the cheek was fitting.

Nucky was an evil guy.

More I think of it, that was BEAUTIFULLY done. The slightest details all tied together.

Perfect way to end Capone. Perfect way to end Luciano by having a few minute scene and forming the commission.

Who was Luciano's inside guy?

I wish we saw Willy at the end to see wht he would do about what he knew.

In the end all Nucky had was money and when Joe Harper ripped it up it showed tha tmoney isn't everything.

His lasting legacy to his brother was giving him money, even thought he saved his nephew.

His lasting thing to Margerat was making her money and leaving her a ton behind.
I'm not positive but I think Luciano was not referring to an inside man in the Nucky's camp, but I may be wrong. If there was, they wouldve touched on it. And it definitely wasn't Tommy.

The ending made everything that happened before so much more poignant. I'm going to rewatch the entire series when I get a chance. Hearing about Nucky handing Gillian off to the Commodore during the past few seasons left a lasting impression but finally seeing it and the circumstances surrounding it adds such a new wrinkle and shines a new light to everything that has transpired over the course of this series.

Nucky's relationship with Jimmy just seems even more complicated now.
Nucky killing Jimmy looks even worse now in this new light.
All of these little things. Some great writing was done.

Season was the best they could do with the the they had I guess. I like how they tied it all together. Wish I didn't know about the Tommy before hand probably would have been way doper.

A commission spin-off would be dope but I don't see how they could actually make it interesting because they would have to follow historical accounts unlike Nucky's story.

Funny knowing that trigger happy Bennie Sigel would create Las Vegas.

The "friend" that they were referring to was Dr. Narcisse. That's why the follow up statement was talking about two shooters in public, to make a statement. We assumed it was Nucky because the next few scenes had him walking on the Boardwalk with two people apparently following him. But then later we see two shooters move through the crowd and kill Dr. Narcisse and his muscle.

Back
Top Bottom