Bonds To McGwire -- "I'm Proud of What He Did"

alg_mcgwire_bonds.jpg

SAN FRANCISCO -- Home run king Barry Bonds said Sunday he is "proud" of Cardinals hitting coach Mark McGwire for admitting his use of performance-enhancing drugs.

We've had a great relationship throughout our entire lives and throughout our career. I'm proud of what he did. I'm happy for him.

As much ++*@ as I gave that man while sitting in the Pavilion, specifically in LF when the Giants were in town just to try to %%$% with him, I respected his game from the beginning.

He played within the rules, whether he did or didn't , he's still one of the best to do it. Point blank.

Bonds is AMAZING. He and Griffey have always been my two favorite players... I know his stomach dropped tho a lil bit when the reporter began his question "Do you ever see yourself doing what he did--"

Originally Posted by f3DJam

bonds is that dude

ppl are tripping tho, roids arent that bad

I wont say they're not bad, but I mean, in baseball they're cared about way more than needed. Lets say 50% of players were juicing, did that mean that Bonds, McGuire and a few others were getting some secret unlock code with their steroids that makes them hit better? No, they had the talent to what they did already. Getting stronger =/= hitting better. I wish more people realized this, but then again I doubt they ever played a competitive game of baseball in their lives. Did it help the guys stay in the league longer? Maybe, but oh well. Not like they were blowing 8 balls before games or betting against their team.

Anyways,
Originally Posted by Brandon3000

Bonds is AMAZING. He and Griffey have always been my two favorite players...

^ It's still cheating if you are boosting your performance by taking roids. You are getting an unfair advantage over everyone else.
How you can say they had the talent to do what they did without the steroids is ridiculous. If they were that good and able to hit 70+ a season prior to taking steroids, then why did they bother? Getting stronger helps hell of a lot. Of course both Barry and Mark had the skill to hit a ball well in the first place, but their extra strength from the roids is what gave them the edge.

I've never heard someone say roids makes it easier to put a bat on the ball. Of course it helps though after that occurs. Unfortunate Bonds went the path he did, he was SO talented that he really didn't need to. Perhaps if he juiced in Pitt he could've thrown out Bream

I wont say they're not bad, but I mean, in baseball they're cared about way more than needed. Lets say 50% of players were juicing, did that mean that Bonds, McGuire and a few others were getting some secret unlock code with their steroids that makes them hit better? No, they had the talent to what they did already. Getting stronger =/= hitting better. I wish more people realized this, but then again I doubt they ever played a competitive game of baseball in their lives. Did it help the guys stay in the league longer? Maybe, but oh well. Not like they were blowing 8 balls before games or betting against their team.
Really?

Would you agree that (right or wrong) baseball's records, especially the 61 HR record as well as Aaron's record, are the lifeblood of the game? Regardless of what your opinions are about how serious they take these milestones we all would agree they are sacred to the game.

Bonds, McGwire, etc were all all-star players. They then juiced their way to the all-time records, the notoriety, the money that came with that, etc.

I'm all for people saying "no big deal" or "baseball has always had problems."  But these dudes we know "cheated" their way to all-time records and stats that they never would have gotten close to. And took the fame and money and endorsements that came with that. Hey no shame in that right? Except they all lied about doing it, covered it up, and when finally caught ended up balling like babies. But hey not that bad.

Fact of the matter is this...

It wasn't banned. It wasn't against the rules.

They played within the rules.

Therefore, the whole term "cheater" needs to be deaded.

he's still one of the best to do it. Point blank.

Exactly, both Bonds and McGwire and a others deserve/belong in the Hall of Fame.  It's time for people to get over things.

Fact of the matter is this...

It wasn't banned. It wasn't against the rules.

They played within the rules.

Therefore, the whole term "cheater" needs to be deaded.

Actually no.  They did not test for it, no. But it was banned in the framework of the rules, i.e. if it is an illegal substance in the country it is illegal in MLB. You can say that's a tad too vague (that's fine), but I don't think one could go with "deaded" and it wasn't against the rules. Technically it was.

Although I'm certainly not going to sit here and defend MLB. And the culture was like nothing we had ever seen obviously.

Back
Top Bottom